Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

7 hours ago, wefalck said:

The number and quality of the models and tools on display has gone down considerably. Haven't been to the show since the late 1990s or so and probably won't go again.

I have to agree Eberhard. I went a year ago and was pretty unimpressed. I think the decline mirrors the nations move from engineering to a service economy.

18 hours ago, michael mott said:

tomorrow I am going top purchase a slitting saw that is .064" and 2 1/4 inch in diameter

Michael. I find that I prefer the smaller diameter slitting saws which when combined with a decent thickness seem to run more true and hence are more accurate. Interesting use of Allen key although I think I would prefer to use the slitting saw for this sort of task. I will need hinges at 1/36 scale some time in the future so we will see how the method scales.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

1 hour ago, KeithAug said:

I find that I prefer the smaller diameter slitting saws which when combined with a decent thickness seem to run more true and hence are more accurate.

Hi Keith what sizes and what brand are you using, the ones I looked at on the net that are 1" or 1 1/2 inch diam were $100 -200 which is beyond my budget.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

32 minutes ago, michael mott said:

on the net that are 1" or 1 1/2 inch diam were $100 -200 which is beyond my budget.

Michael - yes beyond my budget as well. I buy a lot of my tooling from a British based supplier (Chronos) - but as ever these days much of the stuff originates from the far east. That said I find their HSS slitting saw blades to be of good quality. I think they ship worldwide.

https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product-category/gear-cutters-slitting-slotting-saws/metric-hss-slitting-saws/

https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product-category/gear-cutters-slitting-slotting-saws/imperial-hss-slitting-saws/

Of the far eastern manufacturers I find Soba (Indian) equipment to be well engineered and they do make slitting saw blades.

Edited by KeithAug

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Sorry to read that the Model Engineering Exhibition isn't what it used to be. I well remember being taken by my father in the 1950's and early 60's (OK, so that dates me!)

The mental image of a whirling Allen key gives me the shivers.....

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Slitting saws have standardised dimensions, starting with 20 mm. In the watchmaking industry supply, you may also find smaller ones, with 3.5 mm or 4 mm holes, but they tend to be pricey. Thickness starts from 0.2 mm, but some suppliers also have 0.1 mm.

20 mm Ø - 5 mm hole

25 mm Ø - 8 mm hole

32 mm Ø - 8 mm hole

40 mm Ø - 10 mm hole

50 mm Ø - 10 mm hole

63 mm Ø - 10 mm hole

Larger sizes then have 13 mm and 16 mm holes.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Nice re-do on the cabinet woodwork Michael, and they are beautiful just as I knew they would be.  Very interesting discussion on the making of scale hinges, but aren't the screw slots supposed to be horizontal? 

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Druxey,

It all depends on circumstances, if your father took you as a toddler or a teen ...

I look at it as Allen twirling his keys and it seems less daunting.

Michael,

I was under the impression you knew all about brass, now it seems you have some (memory) gaps in your knowledge!! You still are my #1 when it comes to brass work. Really lovely details, and explanations!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

At the end of the 1950s I was just geeting out of my toddler years and already very much interested in everything mechanical. Unfortunately, there was no MEE in my country. My paternal grandfather (a torpedo mechanic in the Imperial German Navy up to the end of WW1) surely would have taken me there, had there been a MEE and hadn't he suffered from dementia and died too early. My father was into electronics and always a bit ambigeous about my model building activities.

wefalck

2 hours ago, FriedClams said:

but aren't the screw slots supposed to be horizontal? 

Well Gary not according to some learned members of this site. From a logical perspective though having the moisture, dust , able to fall out via gravity makes much sense to me.

2 hours ago, cog said:

I was under the impression you knew all about brass, now it seems you have some (memory) gaps in your knowledge!!

There are some  "known knowns; there are things we know we know" about brass. "We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know" about brass.

Sorry Carl I couldn't resist.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

2 hours ago, michael mott said:

Well Gary not according to some learned members of this site.

I have a dry quirky sense of humor Michael - I was just ribbing you about the screw slot orientation discussion. 

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

I picked up my new slotting saw and arbor yesterday I like the way it cuts. I also prefer using the lathe for making the slots rather than the mill The worm on the quill is a bit worn and the very fine depth adjustment is still able to be done but is much more fiddly that on the lathe when making multiple increments for slots on the lathe I just need to index the carriage along the bed. All the same issues really but easier to deal with on my lathe. Ah the joys of backlash on old machines (50 years)

IMG_8808x1024.jpg.da02ec2af349f96a5f2bec865680450b.jpg

IMG_8809x1024.jpg.062de9b988a92dbe3c2cd221a6974902.jpg

Nice clean cuts these are .057" which is the thickest width on the 2 inch diameter saw with 110 teeth

IMG_8811x1024.jpg.f58981519194291d1349cf65f627d187.jpg 

Michael

Spent a few hours this morning mucking about with turning tool form, working at making minute screws from hard brass which turns  better than the small brass plated pins that have heads that are forged and require some very careful cleaning up in order to create the fake screws. I eventually came up with the formula for the smallest screws they have a .5mm body with a 1mm head.

Capture0669.JPG.83d40f3e6ded6f6a3c8794d486a0659f.JPG

This afternoon assembled the top half of the port side paneling after finishing the forward cabinet door hinges, I glued on the rear vertical supports and boxed out the interiors of the two cabinets. I am still deciding haw to deal with the middle panel. yesterday I picked up some very nice tan material for the cushions.

IMG_8816x1024.jpg.1309b3f4e5751124d80212b4848a3ea2.jpg

IMG_8817x1024.jpg.dba992ded6f9fd28671502c8c53d5570.jpg

IMG_8818x1024.jpg.943e116277b0d32ff650dbdccaf93185.jpg

The insides of the cabinets are recycled extremely fine grained old growth clear fir that came from the redwood garage door The frames around the redwood panes was old growth clear fir.

I put a coat of Tung oil on the maple it has a nice glow.

Michael

Beautiful joinery, Michael - 

Love the spalted panel.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Michael - screw slots look a little wide and deep .............................. only joking - well done.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

I quite like solid brass pins as raw material, because the forging/stamping process hardens the material and makes it easier to turn. However, if you have access to hard brass rods, that is probably the easier option, requiring few machining steps.

What shall I say, I can only join into the chorus of praise ...

wefalck

Thank you All for your kind comments, and also to those who are following along quietly.

I spent the morning sorting out the forward and aft bulkheads for the dining area had to scratch my head a few times. This afternoon was spent prepping the materials for them. I have decided that the forward bulkhead will be made to include the sides of the seating areas, and will have a location tab at the edges to locate the forward ends of the side panels, the aft bulk head will form as parts of the cooking area and as there is no door they are smaller and will also have a location tab for the aft end of the side panels.

A couple of shot showing today's progress

IMG_8821x1024.jpg.a8c867bb8c273b0d4fbb38b25f2820f6.jpg

IMG_8822x1024.jpg.89af98f47fd4b0c41181746ae42df0d1.jpg

Michael

Beautiful joinery Michael, a master carpenter couldn't do better.  

Those screws look great; any chance of seeing the 'formula' or process you settled on?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Michael, have you considered making up a scale bill of sale or papers showing the shipwright, you, and the completion date that you can stick in a cupboard or something in the interior that may be found in years to come. I met a modeller at ANMM years ago that had the pleasure of being part of a miniature camera probe deep into the bowels of some of the original admiralty models at a maritime museum in England and they found interesting things.

Pat Thanks, I will draw up the sequence that I used, it might take a day or so.

Steve funny you should mention that, The very first model that I made when I came to Canada was a silver  plated model of a Sherman Tank that was used in the second world war that helped to liberate Holland I made it for the Sarcee Barack's Silver collection. it was a 1/72 scale model and the track actually worked there were 1571 parts that were made to complete this model. I folded a piece of paper with my name age address and that I made it, and placed it inside the model before it was delivered. 

1250158362_meandshermantank.thumb.jpg.0d9ff29acf5871e1ebab0f1cbe89c962.jpg  

1714378431_shermantankx1024.thumb.jpg.369c1256dcd26ce38cce8e3585004ff8.jpg

I had forgotten about this until you mentioned the idea so yes I will do that perhaps in the charts locker.

Michael

After watching your construction of the door hinges, Michael, I was holding my breath waiting to see whether you'd be able to fabricate operating latches to scale or have to "fake" them. Your Sherman tank answered that question!

Brass handle combination for small warded lock

Brass handle combination for small warded lock

Blank key for delicate yacht lock

Cupboard rim lock

For those who are unaware of it, Toplicht is a chandlery firm in Hamburg, Germany, which carries what is probably the most extensive collection of ship and yacht products anywhere in the world. They are in many instances the only source of many traditional yacht and ship fittings left. Their nearly 500 page free catalog is full of photos and engineering drawings for all sorts of bits and pieces of "jewelry" and I'd nominate it for a "must have" in any scratch builder's reference library.  https://www.toplicht.de/en/catalog

Druxey thank you, yes I had hair in those days I was 19 years old.

Bob thanks for the link. I shall sort something out.

Michael

Patton would be proud of your work. As usual.... the craft was obvious back then...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

5 hours ago, druxey said:

Yes, Michael, we all had hair back then!

And it wasn't gray either.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well now that we agree we all had hair we can move on. first for Pat the sequence for making the screw like pins

1994085885_screwformsequence.thumb.jpg.554fd179e5aff818e1c3c40d75d94cee.jpg

Capture8846.JPG.a303e5ca1429f54c2cd69d933bdc852e.JPG

Capture8850.JPG.61196b46d325b8bf839b677d46a913cc.JPG

Capture8852.JPG.45a72f99eda83e5fd64e723664634d26.JPG

Capture8853.JPG.ae1c4c3ebcb0de1e1abdc3245d1c356f.JPG

Capture8857.JPG.ba8a6b985018131c14a0a0560919520d.JPG

then mounted in the pin vice to cut the slot.

I spent the afternoon fitting the rails and stiles to the plan I used the shooting board a lot to trim pieces to length.

IMG_8834x1024.thumb.jpg.e199c2a69aeed353d9791f83346aa32f.jpg

IMG_8835x1024.jpg.573cd90b89cc95b8bfe1c7a89015498a.jpg

Then prepared some more salted maple for the bulkhead panels, some trimming still need to be done to bring the panels to the correct widths.

IMG_8839x1024.jpg.83be87a609a36fed7eb112e5e5f2e036.jpg

This is the material I picked up for the cushions.

IMG_8842x1024.jpg.8d5da7e6b6c7b95a8916f46d2dd74e50.jpg

And this is the way they will look with the buttons , these are cotton seat cushions from one of the garden railway carriages.

IMG_8843x1024.jpg.d006aa4a8dccbeb67cf394e44fcc2c76.jpg

That's all for today.

Michael

IMG_0672x1024.jpg