HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Chuck - FINISHED - 1:48 scale - kit prototype

Thank You Druxey....I will have to remember that.  I just finished making that "ear" and will mount it tomorrow.

As far as the scraper goes.  I use whatever I find handy.  They dont have to last long.  In this case I used some thin brass and to cut the profile I did it by hand.   I used a combination of needle files and broaches. and even a razor saw.  I just go slow and if I screw up,  I throw it away and make another.   Once I am happy with a scraper I will scrape all of the molding I need for the project.  Just in case I lose it.

The bottom molding has a slightly different profile than the one above it.  I just wanted to mix it up a bit because using the same profile everywhere gets boring.  I also see different molding used on contemporary models rather than just repeating the same one.

Chuck

Nope...other than saying that they certainly dont match the plans.  There are quite a few things that are screwy about that model.  It is certainly NOT the Cheerful.   But its a nice model at any rate.  I have no idea why the ports are so small.

Here is a look at that "ear" piece.   Actually I am not entirely sure it can be called an "ear"  as it is only an extension of the molding.   But this is indeed what I came up with.   Taking a piece 1/16' thick I formed the piece.   Its shape was found playing around with a card template.   Then I transferred it to the wood.  Finally the same scraper I used on the molding was used on this piece.   Then a small length of molding was butt against it and continued aft.   This is as far as I am going until after I plank and treenail the other side.  I did however adjust some of the molding after seeing the pictures I posted yesterday.  Some of it had some minor dips and waviness.   I feel better now.   ;)

Then I will add the stern post and move to the inboard details by planking the bulwarks etc.

ear.jpg

ear1.jpg

fancymolding5.jpg

fancymolding4.jpg

Chuck

You're creating a real challenge for us with the moldings; but what's life with a few challenges?

Maury

Looking good keith!!!   :)

One of the guys taped my planking session at my club meeting.  Its freaky to see myself on a video like this.  No laughing.   But It shows how I taper and cut a plank to match my plan from lining out the hull.   I wish the camera was behind me but I hope its still worth posting.

Chuck

I knew you were from Jersey, Chuck, but it was novel nonetheless to hear the accent for the first time.  :)   (Notice that's a smiley face, not a laugh-y face.)

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Brilliant video Chuck.  As a novice it has helped me a lot to understand the process involved in planking a hull properly and has also helped me to relate to the previous guidance on 'lining off your hull for planking'.  I note the video said Part 1; when is Part 2 coming out!

David

Completed build:   HM Schooner Ballahoo

Current build:        HM Cutter Alert 1777

Thanks for this Chuck, even though the cameraman was not able to show the close up that you audience saw it was never the less very informative and added to my understanding of the planking. the bending segment was particularly useful as well.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Part two was just some questions and answers.  But I was a little rushed.   Usually we dont have enough time to devote what is needed for the whole presentation.  But here it is anyway.

I am not sure if it adds anything more to part one.....but here it is.   Its hard to hear the questions being asked.   Most of the conversation in the middle revolves around someone asking me about a hull with many drop planks and or stealers as described in another authors practicum...just putting them in wherever and whenever.  Hopefully that will make the audio make more sense.

Fabulous, Chuck. It's a pretty simple technique to do but not live in front of twenty guys! Your club is lucky to have a mentor like you.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks Greg,

Our club has a great bunch of guys.  Every month one of our members puts on a tech session on various subjects.   There is really no substitute for up-close collaboration.  I know we have many members here on MSW who are from New Jersey but who are not members of the local club.  I think they are missing out on a great experience.   I would highly recommend coming to at least one meeting just to check it out.

Next month I believe the tech session is on seizing and splicing and some rigging techniques.  I am not sure.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, I really think that video is an awesome teaching medium. I dont know if it is just me but I get a lot from watching it being done, the Caustic gunboat series from Dave Stevens was a real eye opener for me as to the possibilites for video teaching. I wonder if there is a way to start an online builders clinic where you would join up on skype or be able to join in a live sessionw? Maybe on a Saturday so the time difference would not be such an impact? I would be willing to pay a subcription fee for some live "techniques from the masters" teaching series with Q&A availability. I really think it could be a huge factor in keeping our hobby alive and prospering.

Edited by ASAT

We are actually trying hard to set up such a thing in the NRG.  But it is a ton of work.  Basically we would do what I did in that video live.   But its not an easy thing to pull off.  We had a test run just last month.

I would imagine that the live aspect has huge challenges, but your awesome teaching style (as evidenced by your great practicums) is what will make the seriesa success. Even aset of videos showing some of your techniques would be a great value.

Thanks for posting the two videos, Chuck. Very informative. I did consider joining your NJ Club until I did a Google map to see where you meet. It's over a 2 hr drive for me - one way. I just wish there was a club closer.You are right about the up-close collaboration. I do have  a local woodcarving club that I belong to and learning from the masters has helped my carving immensely. Wish I could do the same for my boat building.

So Chuck, did you use the bending technique on the entire hull or is it a combination of bending and spiling? Is one better/nicer than the other?

Yupp.   That is pretty much how I plank a hull below the wales.  If there a few planks....maybe the garboard and or the first two planks next to the garboard which are spiled and shaped from wider pieces.  But thats it.   The drop plank at the bow was made by using a card template first.   But everything else was as I did it in that video.

So, what about the Winnie? Would you use this method on her also or spile? And what makes the determimation? Sorry for the distracting????

Its all spiling......basically instead of cutting it from a wider sheet, I am achieving the same spiled curve with bending alone.   Either way would work.  I did it a bit of both on the Winnie.   Its all the same thing.  The part you should not get stuck on is how to achieve the proper curve and shape.  Either cutting it or bending it will work.  The important thing to get from this is that you will require a curved and tapered plank in the end before you adhere it to your hull.   Thats the important part.  No force fitting will ensue.   You can try and find any method to achieve that shape you find comfortable.

If you line off your hull first and have a plan,  and then have your planks properly curved and shaped before you glue them into position.  You are good to go.   If you also start with just one drop plank at the bow (just under the wale)....you have a really good chance of making a nicely planked hull with some planning and pre shaping.  Its usually what I see on contemporary models.  I just try and copy that.    No steelers at the stern.

Once you get past the habit of using a straight plank, all the same width, and trying to glue it onto the hull, forcing it into position,   it will naturally result in a hull with fewer steelers and drop planks.   It just goes a lot easier.   Rather than use steelers at the stern,   just use planks that gradually get wider than they are at mid ship.

The only way to try this when I was breaking my bad habits,  was to plan it all out ahead of time.  Copying the layouts on contemporary models.

You can use the compass method to find that correct curve,   You can use the tape method to find that curve.  Or you can eyeball it based on the gap as I did in the video.   Once you have the curve...you could cut it from a wider sheet, or just bend it.  You could heat it with a hair dryer or use one of those bending irons.   You could use water or you could use ammonia.  There are many methods and I have used them all.  But in the end they all achieve the same pre-shaped plank before it gets glued on the hull.   Having that "light bulb" moment and realizing what shape you need is the important part in my opinion.

Just to let you know,  I prefer the method shown in the video.  That is pretty much what I do for all my planking now.  No water...just heat.  Bending and not cutting it from a wider sheet.

Chuck

Aha!! I love it when I have those moments when the light comes on! And thanks for your paitience with my dimness.... See what I mean about your giftedness as a teacher? :-)

Thanks Greg,

Our club has a great bunch of guys.  Every month one of our members puts on a tech session on various subjects.   There is really no substitute for up-close collaboration.  I know we have many members here on MSW who are from New Jersey but who are not members of the local club.  I think they are missing out on a great experience.   I would highly recommend coming to at least one meeting just to check it out.

Next month I believe the tech session is on seizing and splicing and some rigging techniques.  I am not sure.

Chuck

Chuck, thank you for the videos! It really helps to better understand what we may have read numerous times. I hope next months session on seizing & splicing is also taped. 

Regards,

Larry

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)