Bomb Vessel Granado 1742 by gjdale - FINISHED - 1/48 - Cross-Section

Well done mate. I guess we can put to bed you worries about turning those guns. Splendid job! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Nice!! work Grant....

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

If you can do them in wood, you can do them in brass.  You've got the machining down perfect, Grant.   Great looking guns.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the kind comments and encouraging words folks, and for all the "likes".

First up, a confession....

I've been holding off on updating for a little while, as I've been in a bit of a quandary about what to do about the guns.  On the one hand, Danny was kind enough to give me two of his Russian-made guns, which are quite exquisite and match the scale pretty nicely.  On the other hand, I was very pleased with my own attempts at turning the guns.  So which to use..... The Admiral was consulted and she was quite firm that my own guns would be more in keeping with the rest of the project.  So, I dropped Danny a quick note and of course he was cool with that decision.  Happy days! :)  On with the show....

4lb Guns (continued)

The cap squares were made from slices of 0.05mm Brass strip, bent around a brass rod former, then drilled to accept the pin on the forward edge. An elongated hole was drilled for this purpose.  The pins were made from some left over “dog bone” shroud fasteners from a previous kit.  These had the advantage of being flat rather than round, and I simply cut them in half and inserted them in the elongated holes.  Hinges at the aft end were simulated by gluing in place a tiny section of brass tube. The cap square pieces were all chemically blackened prior to final assembly.

To rig the guns, eye bolts and hooks were made from brass wire, and then chemically blackened. Although 2.5mm blocks would have been more correct for scale, I opted to use 3mm blocks to save my sanity. I used Chuck’s rigging line for all ropes.  0.3mm diameter was used for side tackles and the train tackle, and 0.88mm for the breaching rope, these being the closest I had to hand for the correct scale.

I opted to simulate a cut (or “cont”) splice in the breaching rope to go over the button on the cascable.  I also decided to show the extra line from side and train tackles in a Flemish coil, which I realise is not authentic, but I decided that as the Admiral would be visiting, then we’d make an effort to look pretty!

I failed to take any “in-progress” shots for this sequence, so here are a few showing the guns rigged and in place.

post-242-0-40406100-1452250460_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-84048200-1452250463_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-05160800-1452250467_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-98898200-1452250469_thumb.jpg

Upper Deck Finals

Once the guns were in place, all that was left to complete the upper decks (internally) were a few cleats and a ladder.  The cleats presented no problem and were simply shaped from appropriate sized stock.  Two of the cleats on each side were made from Red Heart, while one on each side, and the funny-shaped cleat atop the cap rail were made from Ebony.  All cleats were fixed with copper pins, chemically blackened in place.

For the ladder, I decided to use my mill to create some accurate dados in the ladder sides, which are 3/16” wide and made from 1/16” thick Pear stock.  The hardest part about this was setting up an appropriate holding method in the mill.  Once firmly held in place, the dados were cut with a 1/16” end mill, to a depth of 0.8mm.  Here is a shot of the mill set-up:

post-242-0-64214700-1452250473_thumb.jpg

The steps of the ladder were also cut from the same Pear stock. When assembling the ladder, the fronts of the steps were allowed to protrude somewhat, so that once the glue was dry, they could be sanded back flush with the ladder sides, creating a bevelled front edge of the step.

Finally, here a few shots of the Upper Decks now complete as far as internal fittings go.

post-242-0-28023100-1452250477_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-90883700-1452250480_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-55006600-1452250484_thumb.jpg

Next up, Channels, Dead-eyes and Swivel guns…….

Hey Grant, you aint bad at this boat building thingy are ya. :P  :P

With so many firsts in this build you must be so pleased with the outcome so-far. She's looking absolutely great, crisp and clean, a real super job.

Looking forward to your next up-date mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Very nicely done Grant. The only thing missing on the guns is the George III emblem ;):) .

the funny-shaped cleat atop the cap rail

Also known as a Timberhead - an extension of the frame below it.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks again for all the kind words and "likes".  Some more progress to report....

Swivel Guns and Channels

The Swivel Guns were made from 1/4” square Ebony stock, turned on the lathe and once again using the compound slide to achieve the taper. The only difficulty encountered was due to the very small size (19mm long and 3.8mm in diameter at the widest point, narrowing to 2mm at the narrowest).  I copied the plan into my CAD program and painstakingly took off measurements for all the re-inforce rings............and then cut them by eye!

The mounting yoke is a “U-shape” atop a central pedestal.  To manufacture these, I hammered flat some 1.5mm diameter brass wire and then formed it around a 5/32” (4mm) brass rod. It was then transferred to a wooden dowel of the same diameter, squeezed tight, and then a 0.8mm hole was drilled right through the brass and dowel to take the subsequent “axle” pin for the guns. The piece was then removed from the dowel, the ends trimmed as close as possible to the cross-holes, and a 1.5mm diameter brass rod “handle” was then silver soldered to the base of the “U-shape”.  The “handle” was left extra long for ease of handling.

The swivel gun handle was formed by bending a piece of 0.8mm diameter copper wire to 90-degrees and then placing a “blob” of silver solder on the end.  Again, the part was left extra long for ease of handling.  Here is a photo of all the manufactured parts of the swivel gun prior to blackening of the metal components.

post-242-0-46113200-1452419022_thumb.jpg

The pedestals for the Swivel guns were made from3/16” square Pear stock. First the corners were chamfered with a miniature plane to create an octagonal section, and then the end was drilled to receive the mounting yoke stem. The pedestals were then notched to fit over the cap rails, and finally a strip of black paper was added to simulate an iron band around the top.

The channels were cut from 1/16” thick Castello Boxwood, with 1/16” wide notches cut on the mill. A cut-out was also shaped to fit around the Swivel gun pedestals.

The Swivel guns were then assembled by epoxying the handle into a pre-drilled hole in the base of the gun, and inserting a 0.8mm copper wire through the yoke and the gun. This was epoxied in place, and once dry, the ends of the copper wire were snipped close and filed back to the just proud of the yoke surface. Some of the blackening had by this stage rubbed off, so I tried an experiment of blackening "in-situ" with Jax Pewter Black.  I have become a big fan of this product, ever since I discovered (read somewhere, can't remember where) that it is best used undiluted and applied with a paint brush (after the usual cleaning routine). It is then rinsed with distilled water. On this occasion, I washed (ie with a paintbrush) all of the metal parts again with vinegar, washed again with water, then painted on the Pewter Black again, and washed with water.  It seems to have worked well and had no adverse effect on the Ebony timber.

Here is a shot of all of these components, including the now assembled swivel guns. These will not be mounted in their pedestals until the build is finished, in order to protect them from clumsy hands!

post-242-0-58074900-1452419027_thumb.jpg

Finally, here is a close-up “zoom and crop” of a completed Swivel gun – complete with scarred iron-work!

post-242-0-92265000-1452419029_thumb.jpg

Next up, Deadeyes and Chain Plates…..

Nicely done Grant,  the Swivels and Yokes are looking really good, nice bit of soldering as well.

The Channels and Pedestals have come out well and I am looking forward to seeing them grace the boat.

Keep going mate, not long before completion. Have you decided what your going to display her in, Glass or Poly.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Well done, Grant! All nicely done, especially the metalwork.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Wonderful iron work, Grant.  I'm liking the idea of ebony for the guns...

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just found your Fantastic build Grant, it's really a work of art. Looking forward to seeing the new monograms applied

Thanks again for the kind comments and all the "likes". And welcome to the log Don - you'll find cold refreshments at the bar with Mark, and Sjors is around somewhere wit the popcorn.

Some success and some spectacular failure this week!  I'll spread this over two posts.

Channels and Deadeyes

First up, I decided that I wasn’t very happy with the cut-out in the Channels for the Swivel Gun pedestals - so I remade them, taking greater care with the cut-outs this time around. I also made up the Retaining Paunches. The drawings show these held in place with pins, so I drilled a series of 0.5mm holes and inserted copper pins into these, blackening in-situ with Liver of Sulphur on completion.

post-242-0-13526000-1453026357_thumb.jpg

Next up, a gratifying success story – the deadeyes. Two sizes of deadeyes are required – 6mm and 4.5mm diameter respectively. After turning down some 1/4" square Castello Boxwood to the appropriate outer diameter, I used a 60-degree Carbide-tip threading bit to delineate between individual deadeyes. By cutting only to about 1/4 of the diameter deep, this enabled me to cut a chamfer on both faces of each deadeye.  Once all the individual deadeyes were marked out, I went back and, with the same bit, cut a small stropping groove. This groove was then widened slightly with a hand file while still on the lathe.

This picture shows the initial cutting in progress.  All individual deadeyes have been marked out, and the stropping grooves are now being cut.

post-242-0-41033700-1453026361_thumb.jpg

The work was supported during this process by a live centre at the tailstock end.  When it came to parting off the individual deadeyes, the live centre was removed and a Steady Rest was placed close to the unsupported end of the stock. A razor saw was then used to complete the parting off process.

post-242-0-56533800-1453026365_thumb.jpg

I again decided I wasn’t happy with the first batch of deadeye blanks as neither the chamfer, nor the stropping groove were deep enough.  So I re-did them.  Here is a shot of the second attempt in progress.

post-242-0-29620300-1453026370_thumb.jpg

To drill the holes in the deadeyes, they were mounted one at a time in a three-jaw self-centring chuck, which itself was mounted on the Rotary Table on the Mill.  The sensitive drilling attachment was used to drill a 1 mm hole in the larger (6mm) deadeyes, while a 0.7 mm hole was drilled in the smaller (4.5mm) deadeyes. The Rotary Table made short work of this task. After centring the drill bit over the lathe, it was then offset in the X-axis by one-quarter of the diameter (ie half-way between the centre and the outside of the deadeye).  The first hole was drilled and the Rotary Table was turned 120-degrees for the second hole, and again for the third hole.  It sounds long and tedious, but this turned out to be a lot quicker than one might at first imagine.

Here is the Mill set-up:

post-242-0-25419900-1453026375_thumb.jpg

And here are the resulting deadeyes after a coat of Wipe-on Poly had been applied:

post-242-0-66870300-1453026380_thumb.jpg

Continued next post....

And now to the not so successful story...  

Chainplates

I had a brainwave about making the chain plates, and was absolutely convinced this was going to work! The drawing below shows the chainplate (#8) as having a tubular-like section at the top, through which the strop for the deadeye passes.

post-242-0-19781000-1453026834.jpg

Having thought about this for a few days, I devised a cunning plan.  I took a sheet of 1/32” thick brass flat bar, and a piece of 3/32” OD brass tubing, and silver soldered them together.

post-242-0-94477800-1453026839_thumb.jpg

I even devised a way to support the flat bar so that it remained level with the centre of the tubing.  Here is what it looked like after soldering – not pretty.

post-242-0-63446700-1453026844_thumb.jpg

Not to worry, a bit of a clean up with a file and some sand paper, and it’s looking much better:

post-242-0-85246200-1453026850_thumb.jpg

And just to prove that I managed to get it centred properly:

post-242-0-01240500-1453026855_thumb.jpg

The next problem to solve was how to slice off pieces of the correct thickness to fit into the milled slots in the Channel boards. I first had to decide how to hold and cut the work. No problem – rotate the mill head 90-degrees and attach a slitting saw. Make up a sacrificial holding board for the brass stock, with a small channel cut into it to seat the tubing while keeping the flat-bar flat. Mount said piece in mill vise and we’re ready to cut – almost….

post-242-0-66416800-1453026860_thumb.jpg

The slots in the Channel boards were milled with a 1/16” mill, so that was the maximum width for each slice.  My mill handwheels are calibrated in millimetres (1/16” = 1.59 mm) and I planned to use a slitting saw that has a kerf of 0.6 mm. I decided that if I went for a slice thickness of 1.4 mm, I would allow myself a tiny bit of wiggle room, while at the same time making the Mill work easier as I would need to advance the X-axis handwheel exactly 2 mm (ie 2 complete rotations) for each slice.  I then simply set the depth of cut to 2.5mm (just over the 3/32” thickness of the tubing), and advanced the Y-axis into the saw – carefully, and slowly.  This part of the operation worked like a charm. You can see in the following shot, how the process looks part way through.

post-242-0-77654200-1453026865_thumb.jpg

And here are the resulting pieces – a test fit showed they fit into the Channel slots perfectly.

post-242-0-68659300-1453026871_thumb.jpg

A 0.8mm hole was drilled in the end of each piece to take a securing nail, and the chainplates were then carefully bent to the approximate shape shown in the drawings.

post-242-0-63468700-1453026878_thumb.jpg

At this stage I was feeling pretty darned pleased with myself!  My success, however, was short lived and it was at this point that success finished and catastrophic failure took over!

I made up some deadeye strops from 0.75mm brass wire.  This had to be inserted through the tube part of the chainplate before being soldered closed. The parts were then all cleaned with a wire wheel in a rotary tool, and chemically blackened (using Jax Pewter Black, as it also blackens solder). It was then time to insert the deadeyes and squeeze the strops tight around them and the top of the tube. Two things happened here – both failures of the soldering process. Either the tube parted company with the rest of the chainplate, or the strop soldering point gave way, or both.  Either way, I had a greater than 75% failure rate, and the remaining 25% were looking a bit dodgy too. Several days’ work down the tube, but learning (of sorts) has taken place!  Back to the drawing board……

Wow, that's a nice set of Deadeyes mate.

Cut-outs on the Channels are much neater now, looking forward to part 2 of the update.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Only Me,

What can I say, the Chain Plates were looking really good and the concept of construction clever, it's just that one area of failure that's a bummer. :(

All I can suggest is that the Chain Plate loops are formed cold, then when you solder the Deadeye Slings in place there will be a certain amount of creep by the solder which will secure the loop.

By the time you read this you would most likely have thought of a solution mate, good luck with it my friend. Enjoy the challenge !!!!!!!!

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Grant, Jack12477 formed some chainplates by curling the brass strips: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11969-marie-jeanne-by-jack12477-artesania-latina-150-scale/page-5 

Might that work?

Edited by Canute

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Thanks for the link and the suggestion Ken. I've got a couple of ideas floating through my head at the moment, including the reasons WHY my joints failed. I'll add this to the list of possible solutions though.

Grant, Jack12477 formed some chainplates by curling the brass strips: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11969-marie-jeanne-by-jack12477-artesania-latina-150-scale/page-5 

Might that work?

Grant, start here and follow down thru Michael Mott's post. This might work with the channel's you've already made, which by the way look fantastic.

Hi Grant - 

I join with everyone else in admiring your deadeyes.  Very nice work.

Sorry about the chainplates.  At least they gave out now rather than when you tried to rig the shrouds.  There is a lot of stress here, and soldering, even silver soldering has never held up for me.  Here is how I worked out the issue on the Queen Anne's Revenge, whose chainplates look a lot like yours:

post-3092-0-94769800-1418621744_thumb.jp

The upper hook is narrowed to fit the loop of the deadeye strop.  Once the deadeye is installed the loop is closed and soldered.  It is also strengthened by being sandwiched between the channel and the cap molding so it cannot open.  I did not have any failures during rigging.

I really enjoy your log and how you are solving the problems that come up.  Thanks for sharing.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks Jack,

I had a look at your log last night, after Ken sent the link through. Nice work, by the way! :)

Thanks Dan,

Coming from a professional model builder, your kind words are especially appreciated. Thanks also for posting pics from your QAR - that method might well be the "winner"! I'll have a closer look today :)

Dead-eyes look great, to bad chain plates didn't work they looked good really ingenious how you came up with making them. I have trouble tying a knot.

Also like the colored wood. Looking great.

John

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Thanks again for all the kind comments, thoughtful suggestions, and of course all of the "likes".

Chainplates – again!

After pondering the problem of the chainplate failure for a few days, and after receiving a few suggestions from my MSW friends, I concluded two things:

Firstly, I had been a little too zealous with the clean up of my silver-soldering when I attached the tube to the flat-bar. The result was that the joint had too small an area of bond, and hence a weak joint. After considering alternative approaches, I resolved to give this another crack.  So I used exactly the same method as previously described, only this time taking care to leave a fillet of solder on the “shoulders” of the joint.  Here is a picture after drilling, bending and blackening. If you look closely you can see the slight thickening at the joint line.

post-242-0-73264800-1453631234_thumb.jpg

The second conclusion I came to was that I was using wire of too great a thickness for the chain strops.  I had been attempting to use 0.75mm diameter brass wire for this.  After checking with both Mobbsie and Rusty, I decided that 0.5mm diameter would be better suited (Mobbsie successfully used 0.5mm diameter on his build at this scale, and Rusty used 0.78mm diameter for his build in 1:24 scale). The only problem I ran into here was that I was unable to silver solder the joints of the thinner wire. If it’s possible, it’s beyond my current skill set!  Instead, I copied the method used by both Mobbise and Rusty on their builds, and that was to twist the wire one complete turn under the deadeyes, and then tuck the ends into the tube section of the chainplate. This at last produced an acceptable result.  I secured the bottom ends of the chainplates with small brass nails left over from previous kits various (though I had to shorten them), and then blackened the heads in-situ by painting on Jax Pewter Black, and washing with distilled water afterwards to halt the reaction. This worked very well and did not have any impact on the surrounding timber (which I was careful to avoid).  Finally, I used a dab of C/A glue to encourage the deadeyes to “stand up”.  Here is the result:

post-242-0-19898200-1453631239_thumb.jpg

All in all, I’m quite happy with the results.  All that remains now is to make the external entry ladder, and perhaps the Mortar Pit Housing, as well as the final stand.

Grant, nice recovery on the chainplates. The section looks great!

Ken