channell

Bismarck by Channell - Trumpeter 1/200

If I had the skill, and I am certain that you do, I would tend to go for the slightly weathered look. The Bismarck was not that old or heavily used but I am almost certain that she would have shown some kind of light wear by the time of your build, especially around the waterline and lower hull.

A clean build, looks superb!!

Have to agree with Carl, it's your piece of Maritime  modelling art.

(One more question regarding the 1940 ship, were the deck "Air Recognition" symbols painted on?)

Cheers...HOF.

13 hours ago, hof00 said:

A clean build, looks superb!!

Have to agree with Carl, it's your piece of Maritime  modelling art.

(One more question regarding the 1940 ship, were the deck "Air Recognition" symbols painted on?)

Cheers...HOF.

Nope, no giant swastikas... that was done when Bismark got the Baltic Camouflage paintjob during her first and only refit in Jan '41 

Quick post but it wasn't quick to build 'em: 

cIWTEKGh.jpg

farvD5yh.jpg

... and VS the stock kit piece:

AXt7qVsh.jpg

Man these tiny little guns are A LOT of difficult work for me! The magazine racks on the base are especially nightmarish to put together. 

28 minutes ago, lmagna said:

:blink::omg: And how many did/do have to build?

Polite company does not ask questions about, "how many more of those do you have to build?"

It's just too darned traumatic. 

I'm going to guess there are a couple of dozen of those guns, total. 🤨

Does Pontos provide the photo etch magazines for the racks as well? Those could be hasseliferous.

25 minutes ago, CDW said:

Does Pontos provide the photo etch magazines for the racks as well? Those could be hasseliferous.

As a matter of fact, yes... they are either too short or the magazine rack is too big so they just don't look right, however.  Too bad because it would have actually simplified assembly... instead of struggling to glue the tiny brass triangles in reasonably straight with gaps in between, one could just "pancake" the pieces together and get it perfect with little hassle.

Oh well...

5 hours ago, channell said:

Quick post but it wasn't quick to build 'em: 

tell me about it ... tripple AA's at 1/350 are a bit the same fun ... besides the cranial torture ... they look real spiffy though. love the black circle at the bottom of the gun mount, and the gun itself ... makes for some rather nice contrast ...

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! 

I dove into the Veteran Models guns on Sunday... little model kits all by themselves:

esnugXO.jpg

These are the 37mm FLAK Doppel C30's.... Bismarck has 8 of them. Don't think I have ever seen such tiny resin parts (especially with such fine detailing) but they are fun to assemble, albeit time-consuming. 

Edited by channell

Those are a little frightening to say the least! I am glad to see that you got them built though.

I have to build eight 5" 25 open mounts and four 1.1" quad mounts from Veteran Models. The package of barrels for the 1.1" guns looks like someone pulled the legs off of an ant and threw them into a ziplock bag!

Do you hold them with the old MK 1 hand while building or do you have some kind of clop or vice to hold them while building?

I leave the molding base on the gun so I have something convenient to hold while assembling/painting, then cut it off with a razor saw after I'm done. Otherwise fingers work just fine for me on these kind of guns. I normally aim to get tiny stuff mounted to something temporarily otherwise, either by drilling a hole for a pin to stick into, clamping tweezers or sticking to double-sided tape on a piece of something big enough to hold onto. 

And yes, a good set of tweezers of various shapes is a must, as is a magnification of some kind (I use an optivisor) 

Thanks Craig and channell

I have a couple of builds coming up and I am trying to get psyched up with information to help me get over some of my fears about being able to work with this stuff. I think I have all the required gear. The needed skill may be another matter. I hope not.

Edited by lmagna

3 hours ago, lmagna said:

Thanks Craig and channell

I have a couple of builds coming up and I am trying to get psyched up with information to help me get over some of my fears about being able to work with this stuff. I think I have all the required gear. The needed skill may be another matter. I hope not.

But you can always do with spare bits  (never know were they might go);)

OC.

Omg those pontos guns have way more detail than the MK1 detail

set.  Amazing job!  I’m starting to think I should go with pontos for the Missouri. 

Dude I did those veteran models guns for my Bismarck. I didn’t even attempt those tiny tiny resin parts lol.  Way beyond my abilities lol.  I could barely see them.  Maybe I should start using magnification to help me.  I love this build sooo much please dont stop lol.  It makes my endorphans  flood my brain, Its like a drug. 

awesome video channell......the work you've done so far is phenomenal!  the slight clouding around the portholes might not be so bad,  if you think about it.........a hull isn't a consistent color....various hues come into play,  as she's been out to sea as long as she has.  so your suggestion that it could be called a form of weathering,  isn't too far off ;)     she's a big beautiful girl...........I hope I can achieve a fraction of what you've accomplished,  with the U.S.S. New Jersey, I recently acquired.  :)   very nice work!