The Journal is now Digital Read more... ×
augie

USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - Model Shipways - 1:64 - Finished

Haven't gotten much done of late.  But I did manage to line out the deck where the bulkheads are.  The decking planks will end on these lines.

post-56-0-34265800-1405551945_thumb.jpg

In addition, I prepared some sample decks as I'm not familiar with Swiss Pear.  Here is what I've settled on:

post-56-0-62569700-1405551996_thumb.jpg

These are 1/8 x 1/16" planks supplied by Jeff @ Hobbymill.  Beautiful stuff.  The planks were lined on one edge with #2 pencil (ends also).  The simulated treenails were drilled with a #75 bit and filled with dyed filler to almost match the plank color.  The finish sequence was Minwax Pre-stain, one coat of Minwax Natural stain and a coat of Testor's Clear Acrylic Dull lacquer.  I'll be using a 3 butt shift on the deck.

Work will commence next week and may take a little time :D  :D .

You all stay the course !!

stagger the butts every three huh........you have quite a few bulkheads there, so dividing those increments in half will not matter ;) I usually find though, that I need to, if I try to go more than two rows. I like the wood......deck's gonna look super :)

Hi Augie, your sample turned out great! But do you think it will be too dark compared to the hull color? The only reason I ask is because I haven't seen deck planking made with pear but I have seen plenty of deck furniture made from it. It could just be the picture that makes it look dark. Either way I'm sure it will turn out great!

Richard

You're right, Richard ---- it will be darker than the hull planking but I just love the look of it.  It will also contrast with the open deck beams.  I thought long and hard about it and decided to take the shot. 

I think the pear planking will look great! Dirk did a similar thing with his Syren (light colored basswood on the outside, pear for the deck) and it turned out very nice!

Thomas

Augie,

Just stopped back in to take a peek. Everything from the cabin walls, deck furniture, bricks and the cabin floor is just beautiful. You my friend, seem to be refining your technique with every step ;)

Bill

Thanks all.  And it's particularly good to see Bill has found his way back :)

Things have been slowly progressing in spite of the distractions of summer.  Deck planking has proceeded to the point where it's time to start cutting some scarph joints so we should have something to present in a week or so.

Best wishes to everyone!

Glad to hear your making progress Augie.

What scarph joints?? I thought you already had the margin planks in?? Maybe you mean the hooded scarphs against the margin planks?

Ben

Hi Augie,

It's been quite a while between check-ins for me, but you've made so much progress -- and she looks great!  I'm partial to Swiss pear decking, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing your next updates!

Cheers,

Robert

Augie... the floor (as others have said) is masterful!! 

And love the swiss pear,  I got some to try on the mayflower, am using it as accent wood, trimmings etc... personally I really like the look and feel of it.

Today is HAPPY ANNIVERSARY  day.

One year, to the day, from the start of Confederacy.  Just over 650 hours in the log.

This being a special occasion, I'll suspend my usual rule of not posting until a step is complete to show where we are as of today.  The majority of the gun deck has been planked (Swiss Pear).  No sanding or finish yet....just swept up to remove the in-process debris.

post-56-0-23077200-1408897647_thumb.jpg

Planking has been a slow process as I've been cutting hooked scarphs to butt up against the margin planks.  I hadn't done this in my previous models so it's been a learning curve.  Fortunately, it has been working out well and I have also bolstered my scrap pile in the process:

post-56-0-15986200-1408897866_thumb.jpg

I must say I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.  Pear is like working with cast iron when compared to basswood but it holds a good edge.

I need to cut another dozen or so scarphs and fit the few remaining planks.  Then well do our treenailing, sanding and finishing.  Hope to have this all completed within the next few weeks.

Gorgeous!  Fantastic!   OK - not too bad at all.

Looks wonderful, Augie - the scarphs are a nice detail.

hamac.gif

That's a master class planking you are showing us Augie !

Just beautiful !!!!

A few weeks and the deck is finished......that long ?????  :(  :(

Pffffffffff

Sjors

Ahoy Augie :D 

Happy Anniversary. I too will join the peanut gallery in congratulating you. The pear really compliments your work and those scarph joints really look great.

Somehow I think this is just the beginning of something much bigger 

:) :) :) :)