La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

Happy new year to you and your family Johann. Lovely work on the blocks and rigging elements, A nice workshop space too.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hello,
at this point I would like to thank everyone at the end of the year for interest and participation in my construction report.
:champagne-2:I wish you and your families a happy new year.:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Edited by archjofo

Thanks for sharing your wonderful job ! Happy Ney Year !

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Happy new year Johann, I'm still waiting for my hooks to arrive, maybe in 2020 😁😁

Regards

Paul 

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Hi Johann,

I finally had a chance to look at some of your videos of your projects. You are definitely a world-class craftsman!

Happy new year,

Mark

Hello dear friends,

in the meantime I was able to find out in a publication " Takelung und Ankerkunde - Freiherr von Sterneck -1873 " that pushing the rungs through the rope ladder ropes represents the correct execution.

Freiherr_von_Sterneck_Auzug_Bildband.JPG.9224c55a658ba43afdab37d7601c65d6.JPGQuelle: Takelung und Ankerkunde - Freiherr von Sterneck -1873 - Bildband

However, there must be a clear passage at the shrouds.

This is not the case with the Paris model.

3559-001-web.jpg.f2b807528e9d82ebf86f7e5d8518c8dc.jpgLaCreole_Monographie_Auszug.JPG.845ddbff2bde53a904e41f6dfe345701.JPG
Now that the details have been clarified, I can start with the implementation for the model.

Edited by archjofo

Very interesting picture, especially how the deadeyes are turned in (secured).  I’ve never seen that before. 

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Hello, 

after a little longer research, I will now show you how I make the rope ladders for my model.

DSC09604.thumb.jpg.f758b325c35395e4cdaf2437edddbbc5.jpg
DSC09608.thumb.jpg.7edc3e401cff4d9bf6252af057c64d2f.jpg
Before I install these rope ladders on the model, I do a test on my model section, as can be seen in the following pictures.

DSC09625.thumb.jpg.8ce493ae3000056740b4f1d8d4490f4e.jpg

DSC09614.thumb.jpg.99c56f6bc1da1d1e606f66521130df50.jpg

Johnn, in your close up picture I see that you are using a sleeve type tool to push the rope over the the end of the stave. How are you opening up the rope before sliding it over? Thanks.

The results are really superb.

Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Hello, Michael,

first of all thank you for your interest and the positive comment.
I open the rope with the same tool, a kind of 
hollow spike. I made that from a cannula and usually use it for splicing LINK.
DSC09646.thumb.jpg.e74c02d8d67b50abf9a340643f48515d.jpg

Edited by archjofo

Beautiful work Johann.  I've been following along on your progress and find your attention to every detail inspirational.  The wrap of every rope and the precise and elegant shape of every piece of hardware is so exacting and perfectly to scale.  And thank you for taking the time to show us how you do it.  Bravo!

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Masterful work as always Johann. 

Perhaps this has been answered before but I can’t find it in the volumes of pages, but what do you use for glue and once finished with an area, what to you use to treat the wood for a final finish (Tung oil, polycrylic etc).

Thanks

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

I've been following this build quietly,  and now seeing this rope ladder I've got to say amazing!! Your attention to detail is incredible, you have a very fine vessel. 

Thankyou for sharing 😊

Edited by Edwardkenway
Missing word

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

30 minutes ago, Dowmer said:

Masterful work as always Johann. 

Perhaps this has been answered before but I can’t find it in the volumes of pages, but what do you use for glue and once finished with an area, what to you use to treat the wood for a final finish (Tung oil, polycrylic etc).

Thanks

@Dowmer

Thanks for the nice comment.
The surface treatment of the wood I use this
Product: LINK
In Germany it is called "Ballenmattierung" because is applied it with a lint-free Cloth.

When using glue, the material always matters.
For wood, I usually use white glue (German product: Ponal) and for gluing eyebolts, for example, I use cyanoacrylate.

Hello dear friends,

I would like to thank you for your interest and support, which I appreciate very much. 
For the suggestions and assistance I find in your building reports here in form I thank you.

Here is a short update of my report:

DSC09663.thumb.jpg.5eb5a9850e95f6b3784fbc0b2da720ed.jpg

Edited by archjofo

Johann thank you for your explanation of the rope tooling, and as others have already remarked superb workmanship.

michael

Hello Micheal,

hello Mark,

thanks for your kind comments. Also thanks to all for the LIKES.

The equipment of the fore shrouds with the ropes ladders on the model has been completed in the meantime. The final fixing of the carrier ropes to the shrouds will be done when the ratlines are attached. In this respect, adjustments are still possible, if necessary.  

It continues with an update:

DSC09675.thumb.jpg.6059c5f56298d46ce5d6ef82ea9901af.jpgDSC09670.thumb.jpg.33b133f3e6c4a5ddf03e585863f51d5e.jpg

Hello dear friends,

meanwhile the ropes ladders are also attached to the main mast shrouds.

DSC09716.thumb.jpg.8242188e2189d14416ed6a165d72b8d4.jpg

On this picture you can see one of the tiny eyebolts made of brass wire (diameter 0.4 mm), which are necessary for fixing in the waterway.

DSC09720.thumb.jpg.e028270756709607389151c7adcaf4e6.jpg

DSC09677.jpg

Indeed sublime attention to detail.

These rope ladders became common, when the man-high bulwarks and solid boxes for the hammocks were introduced. Otherwise it would have been very difficult to climb into the shrouds. We have contemporary pictorial evidence from various countries.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Friends,

since about 6 months the shrouds are set, but I have not yet lashed the lanyards. So I think the shrouds had enough time to stretch, because I have retightened the taljereeps from time to time.
Before I can attach the ratlines, I have to tighten the shrouds properly and secure the lanyards. In this respect it has to be clarified how to secure the taljereep correctly after the shroud rope has been set. There were different methods for this. However, in many beautiful ship models this detail is often not correctly reproduced and thus impairs the overall impression.
A common method is to secure the taljereep as shown in the following drawing: 

1879415559_1579547631038-a8f981fa-0b1b-4fec-a983-39e8ecbbb325(002).thumb.jpg.0f891bad5f5faef8aa4edab65100ed17.jpg

Source: Rigging Period Ship Models, Lennarth Petersson

However, a close look at illustrations of contemporary French ship models at the beginning of the 19th century, including Le Rivoli and La Créole (see detail), reveals that the lanyards was inserted from behind between the deadeye and the shroud and wrapped around the shroud twice in the direction of the bow and once in the direction of the stern. What was done with the end of the taljereep cannot be seen on any of the pictures available to me.

7a077c7dac8fb6a2f546743a250d632f.jpg.22ed7a8c50468833ad6da896c858331d.jpg

Source: Rigging Period Ship Models, Lennarth Petersson

However, a close look at illustrations of contemporary French ship models at the beginning of the 19th century, including Le Rivoli and La Créole (see detail), reveals that the lanyards was inserted from behind between the deadeye and the shroud and wrapped around the shroud twice in the direction of the bow and once in the direction of the stern. What was done with the end of the taljereep cannot be seen on any of the pictures available to me.

LaCreole_Taljereep_Musee_de_la_Marine_Paris.thumb.JPG.2e5bd575d277abe6e8b31dd01c5ed6e6.JPG 
Source: Musée de la Marine Paris - La Crèole

After a long search in relevant literature I came across the following picture. This is a more modern way of rigging, but the same principle. The figure Fig. 318 b shows the back of the deadeyes and one can clearly see that the free end of the lanyard was connected to itself by bindings. So I think it is not far off to conclude that the French could have secured the lanyards in this way at the beginning of the 19th century. This could also explain the execution of the Parisian and other contemporary models.

Source: Seamanship, S. B. Luce, 1891

At my model stand, with which I have carried out experiments on the ratlines so far, I compared the well-known and the method for securing the taljereeps mentioned above (unfortunately one turn too many).

DSC09813.thumb.jpg.7b06a9768e65f21995d929554d8525b2.jpg

Before I decide on an execution method, I would be grateful for your expert opinions.
See you soon ...

? Perfection of the model builder's art . Truly beautiful combination of research and execution. 

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section