Naval Cutter Cheerful by SawdustDave - 1806 - 1:48th scale

Confederacy, Cheerful, and Syren are all on my list of ships to get as soon as I get past this power-tool purchasing trip I've been on. But I'm getting there slowly but surely. Actually looking forward to just getting hand-tools and accessories for these power-tools.  Won't be such a bite in the wallet for a change.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Painting has been a tough issue to say the least. Trying to come up with a UNC look that will not cause all of my modeling friends to heave chunks when you see it. It didn't take long to conclude that painting the entire hull below the wales "Carolina Blue" would do just that.

So I came to a more subtle solution, seen here....

The hull will be painted white below the wales, and the transom will carry the UNC colors.

post-11777-0-65456900-1443533122_thumb.jpg

Also completed the two trim moldings above the wales....

The profile of these molds were simply created with a scraper I fashioned from a razor blade.

post-11777-0-65445700-1443533299.jpg

post-11777-0-29753000-1443533318.jpg

Just noticed in the pic above, the last piece of lower molding had not been trimmed back flush with the gun port. Already been taken care of.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Dave, I like the Tar Heel blue stern. Came out nice. Is the rest of the hull bottom white or a very light shade of blue?  Can't tell for sure from photos. Bamboo looks great also. Nice job.

Couldn't agree with you more on Chuck's influence and the quality of his plans/instructions.  And for the record, it took a little getting used to but I like the bamboo.

Now as to that blue........ I applaud your 'subtle solution'.  

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Jack, the hull planks are white. The "square tuck" seen below the transom is also white (needs a couple more coats).

My next color delima will be the color of her bulwarks. With red being the school colors for NC State (only 12 miles away), I will have to do something different there.

We shall cross that bridge when we get there.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Before applying primer and white acrylic, thought I would post this shot of the completed planking of the starboard hull. This is mainly for the purpose of commenting on the technique taught by Chuck P in great detail with the instructions provided with this scratch builders kit.

I have always struggled with single planking. Even after building several fairly challenging models, using my self developed method of planking was always somewhat of a struggle.

I must say, this has to be the best shaped single planked hull I personally have ever built. Chuck's methodical approach to marking the bulkheads and shaping the planks has been a huge learning process for this old dog.

In this photo, after moderate sanding, you can see there will be very little need for fillers before painting.

post-11777-0-75126500-1443986512.jpg

Now, on to the port side.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Spent the morning laying out the planking marks for the port side. For those friends who have not tried Chuck's planking technique, here are a few pic's that will give you an idea how it works.

First, noting that there are 20 strakes below the wale. I have installed three strakes immediately below the wale, and three strakes from the keel. This leaves the simple task of dividing the gap AT EACH BULKHEAD between those strakes into 14 equal parts.

Custom cutting a cardstock strip to the exact length of each gap, this first pic shows, using the "fan divider template" provided by Chuck, to divide that strip into 14 equal markings.... I use knife cuts to make the marks as precise as possible.

post-11777-0-36312400-1444048810_thumb.jpg

Seen next is after transferring all of the markings from the custom cut card stock strips to the bulkheads. Note the width of each plank at mid-hull is 3/16th" and gradually tapers beginning at the last several forward bulkheads.

post-11777-0-16527600-1444049314_thumb.jpg

Seen next, is my personal technique for getting really exact widths of each plank to match the markings.

First, I have marked the plank where it lands on each bulkhead. Then, using carefully marked card stock strips again, I have notched out the exact widths on the plank.

post-11777-0-24142600-1444049632_thumb.jpg

Now, all I have to do is remove the high surfaces between the notches.

post-11777-0-19298000-1444049909_thumb.jpg

I really love this technique.

Thanks Chuck.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Great idea Dave. I'll be sure to give it a try!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Just learned that the word got out to Dr. Pillsbury. He overheard a phone conversation about "the ship Dave is building for him".

No problem....I've got it covered.

Here's the ship he will first see sitting off to one side when we do the presentation....24 parts....about as complex as a Pinewood Derby racer. I've already assembled the several blocks that form the ships hull and decks. The black wale is my idea.

Goes something like this....

"Dr. P, in appreciation for you saving my life, I've built you a special ship...."

He sees this little ugly duckling sitting off to one side and, obviously, thinks it to be his "special ship"....right?

The real "Cheerful" is in another room and will be brought in by a staff member at the right time.

post-11777-0-85296900-1444138888_thumb.jpg

First time I've ever had three ship projects going at one time.

Should I start a separate build log for this one? Hahahaha

Sawdust Dave -

Here's a photo taken of my chest at 4:00 pm today.

post-11777-0-50970200-1444184691_thumb.jpg

And here's a photo of my chest about 20 minutes later.

post-11777-0-65100600-1444184814_thumb.jpg

After seven weeks of IV's through that tube, what a wonderful relief. I feel like a free man.

Golf tomorrow morning for sure.

Sawdust Dave -

Prayer for your continued recovery, golf sounds good! I have looked at a few of these builds - how long is the hull exactly, without the bow sprit? I am thinking about trying this one.....

Lou

Nice build Dave....... I'm sure your Dr. friend will just love it!!!

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Congrats on getting the tube out.   I hope you didn't jump and down and clap your hands in the doctor's office.  That always seems to shake them up.  Have fun on the golf course.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Dave,

Enjoying your build greatly, including the fun color choices!  Lovely work!

Congrats on getting the IV out...I can't even imagine how much better you feel with that gone!

Good luck on the golf course...enjoy the 19th especially as a small celebration seems in order now the IV is gone!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Edited by UpstateNY

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Congrats on losing the IV.  Might have corrected your slice !!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Much thanks to each and all regarding my health thing....

OK....back to the project.

This "Ugly Duck" strategy has taken a new turn. Showed my wife this ugly thing and explained the plan. She had a good point.

"Dr. P is so brilliant, he will smell a rat immediately. He has seen all of your models, and knows your work. The decoy model needs to look more like something you would build."

post-11777-0-97408900-1444344736.jpg

Could not argue with her logic.

So I took a couple of days and bashed it up a little. Planked the hull, added stern galleries, planked the decks, planked the bulkheads, added doors to the bulkheads, added deck rails, added ladders, added main deck grating and bow grating along with beak head boards.

post-11777-0-43980500-1444345091_thumb.jpg

Guess I can go back to work on the "real deal".

Sawdust Dave -

Still an "Ugly Duck" but not as obvious. She should look even better once I add the simple rigging.

Actually, this was a load of modeling fun.

Sawdust Dave -

Thanks guys. I was glad to find enough of the tiny grating in my boneyard, left over from the Mini-Vic build years ago. Also used some larger 2cm grating to create the little ladders. Fun stuff.

Sawdust Dave -

Now that is exceptionally devious and sneaky.    I like it!!!!!!   And the decoy looks great from here.

I think this anonymous quote works:  "Youth and exuberance is no match for old age and treachery." :P  :P :P  

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Old age wisdom and a blend of deviousness and treachery.... a formula that is hard to beat Mark.

So this rainy morning, I managed to complete the hull planking of the Cheerful and apply first coat of white acrylic below the wales. Not ready to show....this will require several thin coats.

Between coats, I moved back over to the Ugly Duck and finished the stern galleries and added stern post and rudder.

post-11777-0-47366300-1444483127_thumb.jpg

Then wiped the entire model with a thin coat of wipe on poly.

post-11777-0-52953000-1444483488.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Hi Dave

A really nice job on the decoy. I echo everyone's sentiments above.

More importantly, what you said that Mrs Sawdust said to you (in Post 48), reminds me of the old saying..."Behind every great man, is a great woman" ...aka your wife.

Cheers and all the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

I don't think the "ugly duck"/decoy is ugly at all Dave. That little diversion should work flawlessly!  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I think your doc is well on his way to getting two wonderful models!  :)

He is going to love both!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

I agree with many of these posts:  You are making a really good little model.  I wouldn't mind receiving the decoy as a gift.

Excellent job.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks again guys.

A big problem I had to overcome with the little decoy,.... (and it would be the same for each of you as well).... That being, once the old "modeler" instincts kick in, it's really hard to pull back and say "enough". How many of us were already thinking bits, knight heads, ships wheel, belaying pins, pumps, launch, etc.

I might stick a couple of anchors on, but no windless. May even do a few shrouds.

So, today, in addition to painting the hull, I flipped the Cheerful over and began the extremely messy task of thinning down the bulkhead frames that extend above the deck. A lot of grinding, sanding, cutting, chiseling, etc.... So far, managed to not break anything.

Sawdust Dave -