Heroine 1838 by ggrieco - FINISHED - Scale 1:24 - Western River Steamboat as she appeared before hitting a snag in the Red River

Kurt,

Thanks for the info. I'll look for some of the Bob Smith CA and give it a try. I've used super glue in the past but only where I could also rely on a mechanical fastener as well. It has always been the non-BSI stuff from Lowes. I will certainly make a change.

Matt,

Thanks so much for the information and links. Looking over the JAX products, I saw several other products that I know would be useful. I do a lot of metalwork where the different patinas and platings would come in handy. I do appreciate you taking the time to pass along your tips.

Cathead,

I'll let you know how the new boilers turn out with the new techniques as soon as I get back to them. For the meantime, however, I think I'm going to take a little break from the thin sheets.

Glenn

My Gallery

9 inch Dahlgren on Marsilly Carriage<p><p>

Heroine Shipwreck Diorama

Another thing about the BSI C/A is their accelerator is the only stuff I know of that doesn't leave a white residue after use.  At least the BSI C/A and the BSI accelerator together.  Don't know about using with any other brands.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Without hijacking this thread, I appreciate your input about CA adhesives, Kurt. I've always been highly suspicious of their longevity, but your experience with these is interesting and informative. Thanks!

Glenn: your work continues to inspire and amaze. Keep those Saturday supplements coming, please!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

This week I completed the last significant part of the machinery.  We are fortunate to have the feedwater check valve still attached to one of the arms of one of the standpipes.  The valve comes off of the standpipe at about a 45 degree angle.  The probable location of the water line suggests that the valve could not have been on the port-most standpipe but the exact location could not be determined from the remains.  I opted for the inboard port standpipe because it places the valve closest to centerline.  In Alan Bate's Western River Steamboat Encyclopoedium he mentions that one method of preventing breakage in the long steam and water lines was to include a length of pipe with a large radius curve.  This seemed to work well in this location.

Standpipe and check valve being lifted from the river.

post-21385-0-82028600-1463230847_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-53640000-1463230856_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-88599600-1463230865_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-97901100-1463230875.jpg

Check valve parts fresh from the mill and lathe.

post-21385-0-89666400-1463230888_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-55733700-1463230897_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-58902600-1463230906_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-01031200-1463230916_thumb.jpg

Check valve in place on the standpipe.  The valve had a short foot cast into the bottom of the body.  This indicated the the valve probably sat on a block to support its weight.

post-21385-0-83630500-1463230926_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-40802700-1463230947_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-85673000-1463230960_thumb.jpg

Safety valves and steam line from the steam drum to the engine added.  This steam line will be slung from the deck beams of the boiler deck.  I'm leaving the lever and weight off of the safety valve until the boiler deck goes in.  I can only imagine how many times I'd knock it off if I had to work around it.

post-21385-0-33729000-1463230976_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-52873800-1463230987_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-50883500-1463230999_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-20458000-1463231012_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-35707900-1463231024_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-75656900-1463231035_thumb.jpg

Glenn

My Gallery

fantastic work Glenn,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

That's a strangely beautiful model, Glen. It's complex, yet symmetrical and very pleasing to the eye. Your updates are the highlight of my week.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Beautiful work, Glenn.  I'll echo the comments of the others and add that this thing looks like it could actually take a head of steam and roll upriver.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Man, is that pretty. Definitely the closest I've come to truly envisioning/understanding the 3dimensional machinery of a steamboat. Thanks.

Thanks everybody,

I really appreciate your kind comments. Finally the kids are getting ready for bed and I can relax with MSW. It has really become a high point of my weekend, sitting down with a glass of wine and admiring everyone's incredible work!

Glenn

My Gallery

Glenn, I love watching your work. Your Saturday updates are also a weekly highlight!

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Hi Glenn

High precision work at that pipes and valve! I just discovered some differencies to the CAIRO Boilers, she had the steam drum at the rear end, and there were 5 tubes instead of 4 at the HEROINE.

Absolutley prfect done!

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Thanks everyone!

Gerhard, we aren't 100 percent sure about the four boilers since they were salvaged early from the wreck but, Kevin's comparison to the Yellowstone and a couple other contemporary vessels suggest that it had four tubes. Another difference though, these early boilers probably only had a single flue down the center of the tube where later vessels had two or more. If I recall correctly, each of Cairo's boilers had five flues making it much more efficient at producing steam. Cairo's boilers would have provided an impressive amount of power!

Glenn

My Gallery

That is so impressive. And seeing the machinery in its place in the hull is a special treat. I really enjoy clicking onto your build and seeing what progress you've made this time.

Steven

Not many photos this week.  With the engine complete I've moved on to the boiler deck.  I'm going to attempt to build it flat and lay it onto its supporting posts.  I've drawn the deck beams along the proper sheer in AutoCAD to get the proper beam spacing. I did the same for the main deck  If all goes as planned, it should shorten to the proper length when bent to the sheer.

Kevin's sketch of the boiler deck cabin arrangement.

post-21385-0-93302000-1463840437_thumb.jpg

Boiler deck being assembled on a drawing of the flattened main deck.

post-21385-0-95154800-1463840450_thumb.jpg

This post was light on photos so I decided to throw these in.  Our conservation lab has received a large number of artillery shells from the C.S.S Georgia and they needed wrenches to remove the fuses (the explosive has been rendered inert by years of submersion in salt water)  The manager of the lab, Jim Jobling, came up with the idea of using socket wrench sockets for the job.  It took me five minutes to mill down the teeth and they work beautifully.

post-21385-0-86480500-1463840459_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-99191300-1463840472_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-57462000-1463840485_thumb.jpg

Glenn

My Gallery

I would imagine that being quite hard steel? Looks good.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Designing a flat deck that will bend properly into the right spacing? Just when I thought you couldn't top yourself. Can't wait to see the outcome.

About those cabin layouts, are the narrower ones essentially sleeper berths with curtains, like on a Pullman car? Looks like there's only a few "true" rooms, likely the pilot & captain at the bow and a few in the ladies/families section at the stern.

Also, thanks for sharing the photos of the shell fuses and your "wrench". I love learning about details like that.

Thanks everybody,

Scott, yes, when I was asked to make the wrenches, I doubted that I would be able to cut them cleanly. I didn't want to ruin a new half inch mill so I bought a re-pointed carbide end mill off eBay for 3 dollars. It cut through the steel like butter. I think the corner radius helped. I was so impressed I went back and bought a second one.

Cathead, your exactly right about the cabins. They're pretty simple and should go together quickly.

Glenn

My Gallery

Very effective solution to the fuse removal issue Glenn, a tricky job made easier and safer.

Your skills are superb mate; the engines and boilers are miniature works of engineering art! Always a pleasure to visit your log (and drool :))

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everybody,

I didn't get a chance to post last week.  I took a few days off to take the family to the beach before the Memorial day weekend.  We had a great time but returned to Tornadoes and floods in College Station. 

Since my last post, I spent three days framing the boiler deck and two days tearing it apart and rebuilding it.  One incorrect measurement threw several of the beams out of location.  I think everything is finally correct and I should be able to drop the deck on the model in the coming week.

The deck before the rebuild.

post-21385-0-83533500-1465045679_thumb.jpg

After rebuild.  The shifting of the deck beams is difficult to see but, I also found it necessary to extend the overhang of the walkway by a few inches.  The notch in the doubled beam amidships will fit around the two posts supporting the feedwater pump lever.

post-21385-0-31417200-1465045701_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-90530600-1465045710_thumb.jpg

I've been putting off securing the paddle wheels in place -- it's easier to move the model with the wheels off.  Now that the boiler deck is going on, it's time to assemble the clutch mechanism for the paddle wheels.

Milling the pocket for the shaft end.

post-21385-0-20029300-1465045723_thumb.jpg

Before and after milling.

post-21385-0-18363600-1465045733_thumb.jpg

The final contour was hand filed.

post-21385-0-70467500-1465045744_thumb.jpg

Test fitting one of the throw-out bearings.

post-21385-0-67418900-1465045762_thumb.jpg

The original throw-out bearing weighed over 300 pounds.  Amazingly, when we reassembled the the original pieces, the heavy bearing slid easily and smoothly along the shaft end with only the moderate pressure of one finger on each side.

post-21385-0-74984600-1465045753_thumb.jpg

Glenn

My Gallery

Hi Glenn

Just beautiful! Great milling and turning work (as ever..............)

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

It takes a lot of confidence in your drafting and building skills to construct a deck off the model. Great update, Glen.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752