Trabakul by donrobinson - FINISHED - MarisStella - 1:32 scale

Hi Mike, thanks for dropping in and for the compliment. She is getting close to the finish line, target is for end of August. Good to hear from you, haven't heard from you for sometime now

Thanks Don,  That clears up my question.  I didn't realize there was also a starboard stern view - just couldn't see how you knew from the single view!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Double planked ships boat? That's a new one.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening All. Thanks for all the visits, comments and likes it is all really appreciated.

This post is about the final stages of the ship's boat, I won't bother you with a bunch of chatter and explanations, however, if you have any questions please ask. I will be happy to answer, even though it maybe just made up;).

Here we go:

IMG_2462.thumb.jpg.2288de8bba73114692c5e346b001ebba.jpg 

IMG_2463.thumb.jpg.2a0771c58ea142f7fd6b3c4b60655ce6.jpg

IMG_2464.thumb.jpg.0a469fb89da6555580e2828fa97f4be5.jpg

IMG_2465.thumb.jpg.df896b43f52723b6d26b46406bb37ad6.jpg

IMG_2466.thumb.jpg.95e3fdcd0714c19e552cef2942910616.jpg

IMG_2469.thumb.jpg.a81e1e93a699c0d39411965df0e0dbd2.jpg

There are a few flaws but as they say "she is good enough for me and the girls I go with".:cheers:

Next up is the bowsprit

See You soon

Excellent job on the ship's boat Don! She came out very nice and looks great on board your Trabakul! :D

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Good to hear from you EJ, Thanks so much. This was my first ship's boat I've built and was amazed how much time it took.

Hi Dave, Thanks for the comment you made me chuckle with that one. How is the rope making going? Mine came to a halt when I broke the machine, Alexey sent me a new part so I hoping to up and going soon.

Thats a beautiful mediteranian boat Don,

very nicely built, well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Mark, Thanks for the compliment. It is very crowded on the boat side and would be nearly impossible to get around as is. The plans show it in this position, there is a write up on it where it says sometimes the boat was towed or even tied to the shrouds. I'm thinking in real life the hatch would be closed allowing access across that or maybe the boat may have been stowed on top of the hatch during a long voyage. Thanks again for stopping in.

Good Morning Nils. Thanks for stopping in and for your kind compliment

the ship's boat look great........kinda like a mini-me ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I was hoping there would be a tarp over it ;) Then I could steal the idea for the Niagara boats.

Looks great Don.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Hey Don, can you tell me in post #440 how you formed the bent end of the spar that sits atop of the mast? I'm having trouble figuring out how to turn a piece like that. 

Thanks, ian 

Popeye: I like that comment, gave me a good laugh. Thanks for stopping in

Mike: Thanks Mike, sorry to disappoint about the tarps. I seen tarps here on MSW somewhere and I think they used tissue paper, if I remember I'll let you know.

Ian: There is really no way of turning the mast tops in one piece, I carved those from 8 mm dowels. The very top end of the mast tops were made separately then attached later.' The sheave in the mast top, from what I can see, does not get used in the rigging so I suppose it could be skipped if you wish. I will have to check, but I'm sure I showed this in my log earlier on and if not I will look to see what I have here. Thanks for stopping by. 

I just had a look, check out page three of the log

Thanks Don, sure enough you did show that and shame on me for forgetting that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lawrence: Thanks for stopping in and for the kind comment. Your Golden Hind is looking great.

Hubac's Historian: Great of you to drop in and Thanks for the gracious comment

Don,

I have been a way for a while and am just catching up on this wonderful build. Love the ship's boat. I will be following along more closely as you enter the stretch run. Your ship is exquisite.

Wow really great stuff there Don.  Are you using paints?  If so, mind me asking what kind/brand?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Mike and Robert. Mike the paint I use is just cheap acrylic from Michael's "Craftsman" and "Americana" I water it down lots and put on several coats

Hello all, first up Thanks for all your visits, likes and gracious comments. Trabakul now has a new home on the dining room table as rigging has started and there is less chance of her getting hurt and even a less of a chance of me using the table to entertain:D.

59888b2a2dc2d_IMG_25001.thumb.jpg.99e59dfc639cc287b69b6061efddb4d7.jpg

Bowsprit was first, this the little fitting made to hold it in place

DSC_0072.thumb.jpg.eba728bc44fd9e0b05886f7502f07a31.jpgDSC_0074.thumb.jpg.27f22d0fc7a08feab97e219cb2a0fbb1.jpg

DSC_0079.thumb.jpg.40db24ab76af355fdaf27edd7e984928.jpg

The little supports on either side and a strap with rings( I used eyebolts)

DSC_0082.thumb.jpg.d4a9c4674b92a3213c2171fed6d7d0b7.jpg

DSC_0089.thumb.jpg.3e81f8f5febb7fa298cea34786d3d1ee.jpg

Chain installed

DSC_0090.thumb.jpg.8d7068cd925ae6f6f062bc04f81d6635.jpg

DSC_0092.thumb.jpg.0d0eeb44c9b9e1c8a5f868182ff70eaf.jpg

DSC_0095.thumb.jpg.98e1d27cc8ba6e82b87bbf00d4a82ffb.jpg

DSC_0115.thumb.jpg.821980ecc2f616c85772c29847249261.jpg

Lower shrouds completed

DSC_0099.thumb.jpg.645f9be34ae656f53c1ac53384f53e12.jpgDSC_0117.thumb.jpg.d318b08d65ee668564e74c1186517659.jpgIMG_2568.thumb.jpg.e19732ec235261b7bad93ffe2431712f.jpg

Next up is the upper shrouds and then ratlines.

Enjoy and Take care

Looking good Don! I'm loving all your details and extras you have put into her. 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

I love it Don! It looks like the serving machine is getting a good workout! I like your bowsprit clamp. As you know I get stuck on stupid little details like that😜. There is no danger of me catching up to your fine build in either time or quality!

ian 

Don,

Yes indeed such a great project - your level of added details are also brilliant.

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa