HMS Winchelsea - FINISHED - 1764 - by Chuck (1/4" scale)

Thanks guys.   Before I do the cheeks on the other side I will build another main headrail.  I have built about a dozen so far and this next one should be the winner.

Chuck

This search for perfection and innovation always impresses me. It is superb ! Thank You

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

You have certainly mastered the laser Chuck! The hair bracket and scroll work looks just like the Navy Board versions.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks Greg,   I cant tell you how many test versions of those were needed.   20 failed ideas for every successful idea.   But each failed attempt leads to some fresh new concepts to try.   

The hair brackets and scrolls are each made in four parts and the cheeks in three parts.   Its just a matter of removing the char and shaping them as instructed for assembly.   The builder wont have to carve any beaded details or create any profile scrapers to make them.   Same is true for the headrails which I will show next.   Although I did find it easier to scrape away the char on these with a sharp edge of my scalpel or #11 blade.  

When I do the other side I will document each and every step in the process.   At which time I imagine other MFGs will try and replicate this.   Most headrails and cheeks are pretty sub standard on kits which I am desperately trying to rectify.  Even the newest companies cant seem to figure it out.  No "glue-on-photo etched-kit-like" details for me.   They look too fake.  Unless of course folks are satisfied with a furniture grade ship model.  I dont think folks are though.  So its worth spending hours and hours trying to make them better.

Chuck

This is far above anything available in a kit.  Beautiful work..

I don't think it would be unreasonable to try to recover some of your development cost in your pricing structure before the cheap knock-offs show up.

I know there is already a lot on your plate, but perhaps sometime in the future you could offer headrail upgrade kits for kits like Syren and Confederacy.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

5 minutes ago, Gregory said:

I know there is already a lot on your plate, but perhaps sometime in the future you could offer headrail upgrade kits for kits like Syren and Confederacy.

Unfortunately I would need to have a model hull without any headrails made yet .....and built really well to test any parts.   It would impossible for me to create headrail mini-kits for any other project other than those I am working on at the moment.....and it takes weeks and weeks to get it right.   The uprights for any headrails take forever to get right.   I wont even be starting those yet for the Winnie.   

Chuck

Outstanding work as usual, Chuck. From now on we'll have to call you Laserman. .Forget the other kit guys, they won't even come close to this. I have seen the prototypes you were working on and they blew me away. Those tiny tweaks you've been making sure paid off!

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Can someone have pity on a landlubber and tell me what the " hair bracket " is?

You can imagine what Google came up with.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Its the part of the two cheeks that are on the stem.  They have the scrolls on the forward end.

• 2 weeks later...

Chuck, as usual your work is astounding. I'm so glad I went this route instead of anything else.  I have a question...what size treenails do you suggest for the deck and hull? I'm going to have a bit of time killing off the chemo so I figured I could spend it making treenails (mindless and almost soothing I hope) 

Current Build- HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

Honestly i dont recommend them for the deck at all.  I would stick to to smallish size treenails for the hull using a #77 or even #78 drill bit.

• 4 weeks later...

No not really.  Too much going on out of the shop lately.  My son is buying a house up in the woods and we are doing lots of work on ours as well. So I am trying to beat the weather getting too cold.  Its all outside work.   Gonna be a few weeks before I can even consider making saw dust.  The shop has almost come to a halt. 

My old 100 year old house needs the front porch knocked down and rebuilt before the winter rolls in.  Its an old

wrap around open porch that is ready to fall down.  Gonna take a while.   Got an old detached garage now condemned which is also coming down.  Some of the guys here have seen it.  

Im getting too old for this stuff.

When I retired I was looking for some satisfying work and happened to join Habitat For Humanity as a site supervisor. As the "newbe" I wasn't always given the prime work of building new houses. I got my fair share of rehabs. One was a 100 year old two story monster. I won't begin to relate the problems with construction and material differences compared to modern times. Everything was a contest and a compromise. Two by fours were really two by four inches (sort of, they had dried out so much they were not quite a full dimension). I can sense what you are encountering.

As a home owner I have never resolved the conflict of macro work priorities balanced against the love I have for ship model building. No less that it is a business endeavor!!!

Joe

Edited by Thistle17

Sounds to me like you have to get your son(s) involved.

My boys are extremely strong and work really fast.

Nothing like youth.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

You have my sympathy. Been there done that as they say. Wish I was closer and could help.

Ken, Send your sons over so Chuck can get some time on the Winnie! 😂

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Kids are al busy....taking MCATs or exams or working.  Its just one of those things....we have all been there.  Cant wait till its all done though.

Chuck,

I empathize. My house was built in 1898, and has a myriad of issues. Between work and renovation on the house, I really have not had time in the past two years work on ship modeling.

Hopefully, these projects will go quickly and you can get back in the workshop.

- Tim I.

3 hours ago, Chuck said:

Kids are al busy....taking MCATs or exams or working.  Its just one of those things....we have all been there.  Cant wait till its all done though.

wel am also to far away😲 so i cant help out.... my work is to restore/rebuilds old houses in Norway, good luck and stay safe😊

• 4 weeks later...

Under the General Product Discussions tab above and then "Downloads area for the Winnie Monograph Chapters"

But here is a quick link right to the PDF file....   https://modelshipworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=640941

Steve

Edited by CaptMorgan
updated link

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

Everyone: Quick question.. I have already hardcopied the friezes for the stern gallery and along the hull but I want to redo them on better quality paper. But for the life of me I cant find the images that I need to download and print. Does anyone have a quick link I can use? 

Im getting ready to start the Winnie as I am now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on my Agamemnon. 🙂 

Mike Draper

Edited by Kusawa2000

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

In the other tabs above......where the other discussions are ongoing.  

https://modelshipworld.com/forum/93-general-project-discussions-on-planking-fittings-and-monograph-chapters/

Chuck: I have looked under each of the subject headings in that section and still cant find the freizes.. do you which know which heading?  I did find them under this subject heading but I dont think they are scaled for the Winnie.. unless ya download the JPEG and then play with them until they fit.. Sorry for being a pain.. just want to make sure I get the right image. 

Mike Draper

Edited by Kusawa2000

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

—MICHAEL ROSE

1 hour ago, Gregory said:

Gregory: Thanks!!! exactly what the doctor ordered.. 🙂 

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

4 hours ago, Kusawa2000 said:

Everyone: Quick question.. I have already hardcopied the friezes for the stern gallery and along the hull but I want to redo them on better quality paper. But for the life of me I cant find the images that I need to download and print. Does anyone have a quick link I can use? 

Im getting ready to start the Winnie as I am now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on my Agamemnon. 🙂 

Mike Draper