HMS Winchelsea by rafine 1/48

A lot of repetitive work but they look great Bob!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

What an imposing battery of guns. This deck really looks good. Excellent work Bob!

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, I've gotten into doing some gun rigging. Between some hospital time, and a reluctance to do the work, it's been awhile. In any event, I've done three guns with breech ropes and side tackles. I came up with the line and block sizes using the tables in Lees (The Masting and Rigging Of English Ships Of War). I will continue to do the remaining guns, with the exception of those that have their eyebolts or ring bolts set in knees. Those will have to wait until deck beams and knees are in place. 

Bob

fullsizeoutput_b98.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b99.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b9a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b9b.jpeg

Thanks so much Matt, Vlad, Tom,  jj and the "likes".

Hardly a master, Matt. I've recently had a couple of heart valve procedures, and things seem to be improving.

Tom, the fingers seem to be less nimble every day. The sequence I use  is almost easier to do than to explain, but here goes: 1) make up side tackles; 2) attach breech rope to gun barrel and run through ringbolts on carriage; 3) seize breech rope to bulwark ringbolts (not yet attached to bulwarks); 4) Glue gun assembly to deck; 5) insert and glue ringbolts into predrilled holes in bulwark; 6) hook side tackles into eyebolts on carriage and bulwark; 7) tighten tackle and glue end to deck; 8) make up separate rope coil and glue to end of tackle. I have no idea whether this is the best way to do it, and it involves some faking,  but it has worked for me.

Bob

Very nice work Bob! Being the recipient of a new valve a few years ago my thoughts and best wishes to you. 😊

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished rigging the guns (with the exception of a couple that have to wait on installing the hanging  knees). I now have to wait on the availability of the Chapter seven parts to proceed any further.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_ba8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_ba0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b9d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b9e.jpeg

Thanks so much Don and the "likes".

There were times, Don, when I wished that I had gone the way that you intend to. My patience came very near it's limit, but I was glad that I had done it when it was finished.

Bob

Excellent work Bob, and I’m glad your health is improving!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Bravo Bob! The time spent and the patience invested was really worth it. The result is superb!

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Thanks so much Reg, Elijah, Jean-Paul and the "likes".

Reg, I do't know if it's a tip , but maintaining a healthy level of fear that you will screw up generally works for me.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Chapter 7 parts package and eagerly began work on it. I guess that I'm going to be the pioneer or guinea pig for this part, so here goes. I chose to paint the inboard transom first. The next task was to fit the quarter deck beams. These are laser cut, but must be cut to size. Although straightforward, care is required. I also found that the beams didn't quite fit into the deck clamp notches, so some sanding adjustment was necessary. When fitting the beams, I used a planking strip  to continually check that everything is aligned properly. The last beam against the transom is a bit tricky, but worked out all right. The last item was to add the the laser cut straps to the last beam. These tested my aging dexterity.

The beams are still only dry fitted to allow removal for doing the upcoming work.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_ba9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_baa.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bab.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bac.jpeg

Looks good Bob....remember that you will probably have to adjust the position of some of those beams either forward or back to comply with the fittings below them.   This is so they line up properly with columns and bulkheads etc.

Chuck

Just caught up with your build Bob. What a fantastic job you are doing too! She is looking truly spectacular.

I've now added the aft bulkhead and glued in the beams aft of it. Having the rigged guns in place definitely created a bit of a challenge, but I still think it was worth it.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_bb1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bb2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bb4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bb3.jpeg

Really coming together nice Bob...   Looks great!!!😀

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea