HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - 1:48 scale - 16-gun Swan-class sloop from TFFM plans

Looks good, Danny.  I would think toggles are appropriate for the period.  The modern method is to use Inglefield clips rather than toggles.  The only tiny nit is that the flag would have a length of lanyard at the bottom of the flag rather than the toggle being spliced in right at the flag.  This is so that when flags are used in a multi flag hoist there is a gap between them.

John

G'day Danny

She's a beauty. Love the toggles, its look good to me. Does this mean, there will be no more of your wonderful step by step pictorial instructions log? It looks complete to me. May I be the first to say Bravo and congratulations on a job fantastically done? If there is another word, which can express my deepest regards to your craft I would use it! Can anyone think of another word?

Havagooday mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Congratulations on a fantastic model, Danny.  The flags are just icing on already wonderful cake. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the congratulations guys, but whoa back - you are a bit premature. There's still a bit more to do :D .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thought as much ... always something hidden ... up his sleeve and it slithers out when you least expect it!!! So far truly beautiful ... and me nearly thinking my masterclass ended ;-)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks David. That's what I've been thinking. That those types of cuts, for our purposes in modeling, would for the most part, be very light, and with a 10" drill-press, it should hold up fairly well.

Glakie hello. I think if you have opportunity, you buy the milling.
you'll be amazed at the accuracy he has.
better to have few tools, but good.
one cabrapente greeting

Danny, What a beautiful achievement!  Thank you for all the sharing and tips along the way.

Maury

Dan, it looks like that you've nearly finished your build and also your log. These are very sad news. :(

What should I read in the future? Your log was and is a big inspiration for me. Thanks for the really lot of work you've done by photograhing the steps of your build writing your explanations and so on.

Your log is in my opinion beside the book of Greg the best source of building this type of model

Thanks very much.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thanks once again for the kind words Carl, Greg, Neal, Cabrapente, Maury, Dave and Christian :) .

What should I read in the future?

Your log is in my opinion beside the book of Greg the best source of building this type of model

Don't forget Remco's and Toni's logs of Kingfisher and Atalanta. They are even more detailed than mine has been, and they both still have a long way to go :) .

Or you could follow my next build when I start it very shortly :) .

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Stern Lights Fitted

Not far from the finish line now :) . I've fitted the three open Stern Lights that I made a few years ago :

Open Lights 001.jpg

Open Lights 002.jpg

Open Lights 003.jpg

The only things left to do now are the Capstan Bars, and all the coils for the belaying.

Cheers, Danny

Don't cry Greg, there'll be another :D .

Capstan Bars Fitted

I made the capstan bars long ago when I made the capstan. I'd actually forgotten that I did, but luckily I found them before I wasted my time building another set :D .

Not much else to say, here are the pics :

Capstan Bars 001.jpg

Capstan Bars 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Very nice Danny!  I know there's a lot of different methods to making rope-coils here, but I'll be interested to see which method you choose to do them.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I half agree with Robin. The centre light would be a dummy, as the rudderhead passes in front of it. However, I recall a contemporary illustration of the mutineers casting off Bligh in the boat and the stern lights are shown swung up and aft.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks for looking in again George, Tom, Brian, Robin and Druxey.

George - I'm using THIS method. See below.

You forgot you made the capstan bars?  LOL

I had it in the dim dark recesses of my mind that I'd made them, but they weren't in the tray of "Finished Pieces". For some reason they were in the one alongside it :D .

do you have a rough estimate of how many hours you have invested in the model 

Actual work on the model commenced on Wednesday August 17 2011. It's 4th Anniversary is next week :) . I spend an average of 6 hours per day on it, and I've had about 3 months in total not working on the ship in that time. That's about 1370 days at 6 hours per day - 8,220 hours  :huh: :) .

Let's see - at $25.00 per hour (labourer's rate) that makes it worth $205,500.00 plus parts. Make me an offer :D .

Robin - I thought it a bit strange myself. I followed the directions in TFFM, so I guess they must be right.

Druxey - I agree about the centre light. I left it open to show the Rudderhead a bit more clearly :D .

Cheers, Danny

Whoops! Correct, Robin: upward and forward.

Oh bugger  :huh:  :huh:  . Here comes another re-do.

Cheers, Danny

Of all your previous builds Danny, would you consider the Vulture to be your finest work ever?

Just curious.

If you tell us you consider another build to be finer, I must see it to believe it..... Lol

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

would you consider the Vulture to be your finest work ever?

Definitely Dave. But she's not as good as my NEXT one :D .

Cheers, Danny

Beautiful work, Dany - with extraordinary attention to the small details.

To add to the comments on the stern lights:  There are two potential problems with outswinging sash, both caused byt he slant of the stern.  Both upward and side opening sash would have to clear the lower sill.

Ed