HMS Pegasus by realworkingsailor - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

no need to justify Andy........some things do take priority.  good to have folks to help you.......sounds like a huge undertaking.   you still have the motor boat right?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

no need to justify Andy........some things do take priority.  good to have folks to help you.......sounds like a huge undertaking.   you still have the motor boat right?

Yup, I still have my other boat to enjoy :)

Looking at Mike Mott's thread, I'm not the only one taking time away for 1:1 (or 1:2 or whatever) projects..

Aldo, thank you very much. Have you been able to manage any hobby time lately?

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Well... here I find myself back in the city for a couple days... had to run some errands...and chores.... (laundry... <_< )

So while waiting for the machine to cycle through I made a stab at some rigging fittings... ok... one rigging fitting...

Made my first attempt at one of the bowsprit bobstay collars. A most complicated bit of serving if ever there was. Two eyes served and spaced out far enough to accomodate a heart...or something to that effect. I met with partial success. No issues with the actual construction of the collar. Starting with the first eye, I served about 9mm of line. I tied it off and removed it from the serving machine. I formed the eye by passing the end though a couple strands, and secured it with a dab of glue. When that was dry I measured off what I thought was enough line to wrap around the heart, plus a couple millimeters, and made another 9mm run of serving. Made the second eye the same as the first, then when it was dry, served the intervening line. I then added the heart and seized it in place.

I was feeling pleased with myself untill I held it up under the bowsprit.... uh oh.... not enough space between the eyes and the heart... hrm.... well... chalk one up as a learning experience.... :rolleyes:

I'll be heading back up north tomorrow, too hot to stay in the city....

post-34-0-94729700-1374000607_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Stay cool, Andy.  Peggy will wait. Nice heart and eyes.. Pity they are too big.  One of the pitfalls we seem to run into on these things is just when we think we got it whipped, oops.... not so.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

So glad to see others are taking a break from building too. It is the time of year to spend outdoors after all

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Looking at Mike Mott's thread, I'm not the only one taking time away for 1:1 (or 1:2 or whatever) projects..

Andy just wait till I find a couple of 1:2 people to sail the new model :dancetl6:

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Nice work, Andy, even if this one doesn't do the job - as BE says - trial and error (with me it seems mostly trial...)

Maybe you can mail that collar out to me in Vancouver - I might be able to use it on the Blandford....though the heart would be way out of scale.....enjoy getting out of the big smoke - we're not as hot as you out here, but I still can't wait to get out to the Islands end of next week! More relief from yard work than from heat....

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Mark, it's that whole trial and error bit.... Mostly error... But when it comes to these things, if I have the power to change them, I will. I may spend another year and a half on rigging, but it will be right in the end. I'm already considering redoing the mizzen stay collar. I hadn't yet wrapped my head around serving the thing when I made it... Now that I have it figured out, (and a piece already the right size to copy from), shouldn't take me too long to whip off another.

BE... Not counting glue drying time... Which isn't really that long (using GS Hypocement... highly recommended!) I've managed to make up a successful replacement collar in about half an hour. I have to make a note to commit my measurements to a piece of paper before I forget...

Robbyn.... There's almost nothing quite like soaking in the lake up to your neck, with a nice cold beer... ;)

Ham, sorry to say, but I may find further use for that collar yet... Besides, the intermediate serving suffered a little when I removed the heart... :rolleyes:

Have fun out on the islands :)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

.....Aldo, thank you very much. Have you been able to manage any hobby time lately?

Andy

Thanks, Andy, I'm currently glued to the computer redrafting some new bulkheads for my Triton so it may be a while before my workshop sees some fresh sawdust.

Very nice and clean serving work, Andy,based on this excellent job, I can predict that you'll master this new technique in no time B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

trial and error is a funny animal........sometimes you can whip something out without even thinking about it,  and then there are other times, the more thought you put into it,  the worse it gets.  you've done a splendid job with the hull Andy........I think your rigging will be no different  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Andy,

Been a while since I last looked in mate, lovely serving work on the shrouds, your heart looked good as well, pity about it not being right but you gained valuable experience and knowledge in it's making.

Doesn't matter how long it takes to do the rigging as long as you go at a pace your happy with. I, like all the guys and gals who are following your build know it's going to be right when your done.

Enjoy the summer mate, and have a beer for me.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Soooo......not to sound like you know who...but are you working on her, or still enjoying vacation?

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Well... Up and down, really. Had to head south this weekend for a family thing yesterday, heading back north again in a few minutes... So not much building, no.... But with the heat, doing my best beer-adled hippo impression.... Floating in the lake up to my neck with cold ale in hand, (held out of the water, of course).... :P

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

lol- dont get that the wrong way around

• 2 weeks later...

I'm putting Sjors on notice......

Another run down to the city for the usual reasons (laundry...errands etc), so a little build time gets snuck in.

Hence the following advisory:

There will be photos forthcoming in the near future, like tomorrow, EDT, at some point....

;)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Excellent, must feed the Sjors!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

He grows impatient.  And I'm out of Purina Sjors Chow.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I've thought about suggesting a software enhancement that would do the following: once your on the build log of your choosing, click a button and the only posts you see would be the ones with pictures. We could call it the SJORS or the UNOHOO button... :)

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

looking forward in seeing your progress Andy!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

He grows impatient.  And I'm out of Purina Sjors Chow.

I thought he ate only "Pedigree"..... :huh:

Either way, he's only getting the dry stuff.... There's no way I'm shovelling that rancid canned crap..... :P;)

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Now that you mention it Sjors, it IS tomorrow and getting late on the East coast. 

I shall return.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Ok.. for Mr Super-Impatient-Sjors (and all the rest of you kind folks) some photos...

Been working away at the main shrouds, one more pair to go on each side. Edging my way slowly towards a bout of rattling... I figure when I get the lower standing rigging done, I'll have a shot at getting the lower shrouds taken care of.

Also made a brief stop over under the bowsprit. got the inner bobstay collar done to my liking. Made an attempt at the inner bobstay. It is supposed to be doubled and served all over, but I had issues getting a stong enough splice... I may yet revisit that bit again before this is over....

Andy

post-34-0-66876000-1375205313_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-50820700-1375205323_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-34872500-1375205333_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Egads another one - can tell from the full shot there will be so much rigging, so much line! (Intimidating to newbies like myself, can picture myself in a ball on the floor wrapped in rigging line sobbing into the night! ).  Great start on it though, and the colors of the ship - really fantastic!!  

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Andy,

The rigging (and everything else) looks great! I'll reference your photos when I get to this stage.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)