HMS PEGASUS by giampieroricci - Scale 1:36 - Swan-Class Sloop from plans by David Antscherl & Greg Herbert

Beautiful work as always Giampiero.  A couple posts ago regarding working on the headwords there are a couple small chisels in the picture - can you tell me what brand those are?

22 hours ago, Moonbug said:

Beautiful work as always Giampiero.  A couple posts ago regarding working on the headwords there are a couple small chisels in the picture - can you tell me what brand those are?

https://www.amazon.it/Veritas-Pezzi-Miniatura-Scalpelli-506867/dp/B01MQYA2TI

this set of little chisels, once sharpened, is fantastic!

54 minutes ago, hdrinker said:

Beautifully done! Did you do the rails with a scraper or knife? I found the former produced more irregularities than the #11 blade. 

I used the vertical milling machine, very carefully, to set the shape which I then finished manually with a small chisel

• 2 weeks later...

That's one down, only fifteen more to go? :stunned:

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Love your approach to the swivel hardware.

I hope your model ends up in one of the prestigious European competitions. It has Gold Medal written all over it.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

11 hours ago, dvm27 said:

Love your approach to the swivel hardware.

I hope your model ends up in one of the prestigious European competitions. It has Gold Medal written all over it.

I had the opportunity to take part in a European championship a few years ago with my 'Amarante' and, frankly, I realised that these types of competitions, at least in Europe, are completely distorted by rampant hypocrisy, inept judges who don't even know the basics of naval architecture, and verdicts already written before they even begin! By now, the most important federations (French, Belgian, German) snub these competitions while they are very committed to non-competitive events (such as the next international meeting to be held in Evian), leaving the competitions to the Eastern European countries whose participants for the most part are professional modellers who profit from their works, which are perfect because they are for the most part made in 3D technique and CNC machines, against which even the best manual artist cannot compete!

Therefore, at least until this stagnant situation can be changed, my Pegasus will not take medals! 🙂

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

It is interesting to see the difference between the European and US/Canadian situations.  In the States, there are few contests and a few non-competitive shows.  Although some models are built by people who accept commissions, I would not describe them as professional modelers.  Your Pegasus is beautiful and deserves to be appreciated by the modelling community.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Hi giampierorcci,

I really admire your work and I often look for inspiration in it for my construction. I was interested in your evaluation of the participation in the championships organized by the Naviga organization (I personally saw your L'Amarante model at the championships in Croatia). I agree with you about the part about judging the models by the judges. But what I fundamentally disagree with is the rest. Of course, I can only speak for the participants from the Czech Republic - none of us are professional modelers and no one profits from this activity. And because building models costs us a lot of time and money, we like to "show off" our models at these events. I also disagree with your condemnation of the use of CNC machines, the same would have to apply to the use of normal electrical equipment instead of hand saws, manual drills, etc. Modeling technology is evolving and I know from my own experience that making a top model from a plan even with the use of CNC is not at all that easy matter as it seems at first sight. I personally would not be able to make such beautiful carvings by hand like you. So should I give up my hobby or look for an alternative?

On 5/5/2024 at 12:44 PM, marsalv said:

Hi giampierorcci,

I really admire your work and I often look for inspiration in it for my construction. I was interested in your evaluation of the participation in the championships organized by the Naviga organization (I personally saw your L'Amarante model at the championships in Croatia). I agree with you about the part about judging the models by the judges. But what I fundamentally disagree with is the rest. Of course, I can only speak for the participants from the Czech Republic - none of us are professional modelers and no one profits from this activity. And because building models costs us a lot of time and money, we like to "show off" our models at these events. I also disagree with your condemnation of the use of CNC machines, the same would have to apply to the use of normal electrical equipment instead of hand saws, manual drills, etc. Modeling technology is evolving and I know from my own experience that making a top model from a plan even with the use of CNC is not at all that easy matter as it seems at first sight. I personally would not be able to make such beautiful carvings by hand like you. So should I give up my hobby or look for an alternative?

You are right, progress goes on, but don't you think it would at least be a good idea to differentiate the various categories, perhaps creating one for CNC models, avoiding penalising handmade models from the outset?
In Croatia, if you remember correctly, there was a judge who evaluated the models exclusively with his little ruler: it was not important to him how the model looked but only whether the measurements were right according to the drawings, nothing else! Does that seem possible to you?

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

I agree, I personally don't have very good memories of the judges in Croatia either (I participated there with Pandora). And as for the "new" group of CNC models, maybe that will happen one day, just as a new category for kit models (C8) was established. I wish you a lot of fun building a beautiful model (after all, that's why we build models - for fun):piratebo5:.

I own a small CNC. What has changed is the precision for cutting out parts. So you begin to think about problems, which you not have, if you cut out parts manually. The model is further build by the model builder. The quality depends further on the knowledge and experience of the builder.

I prepare my parts directly from my own reconstruction with the CNC. By all the precision It is not possible for me to build my model in the quality you are showing here. I simply love it.

I do not like competitions for my hobby and will never participate in one.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Posted (edited)

Giampiero

I would love to see your model in person one day.  I hope to see Tiziano's model of Euryalus the next time we are in Florence and it would be a thrill to see your model of Pegasus if you are not too far from Naples as we will there in 2025.    BEAUTIFUL WORK!!

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU