HMS Hood by Old Collingwood - Flyhawk - 1/700 - PLASTIC - After her explosion.

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Glad to see you have started your Hood, looks great so far. Did you buy the deluxe kit with a wood deck? How do you intend to paint or use the wood deck application on the lower deck now that the upper deck is glued in place?

Hi Craig,    hope thanks giving is going well for you and the family,      yep  thought I would make a  start on her,      yep  I brought the delux kit and got a discount from the same seller to have the wood deck  sent with it,   I think I will be ok  with the upper in place as I understand the deck below the upper  was painted  Dark Grey/Semtex  or similar, and the wood deck  fits in front on the forecastle area  and ontop  under the boats, so my Idea is to add all the small parts  / ladders  etc  first  then I will  prime and  AP507A  Dark Grey all over  and inside  the lower deck (from where I can get  it to spray in there)

In an  Ideal world I should have got the Flyhawk  mask - but I was not aware of it when I brought the kit,    so  for the painting  the upper deck Corticene / Semtex   I will probably  brush paint the Corticene on as I would imagine It would not have been  really smooth, that way I can carefuly cut in around the fittings  and possibly put a fine tape strip down for a straight edge.

Well that the plan.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

9 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Great start OC!

I recently picked up a few Flyhawk kits.  Can't tell if I like the instructions or hate them.  What's complicated is when you buy the "Deluxe" or similar upgraded sets, you get a set of instructions for the base kit and a separate set for the upgrades.  Would be nice if they were all in one.  I wonder if the Pontos sets are all in one?  I have their Soya, but haven't opened it.

Yep  I hear you Mike,   lots of  instructions  to  "Drill hear  cut that"   but no wording to say if its needed  and why?   and I agree  with the PE  there are a seperate set of instructions to use, guess  we need  both instructions out at the same time  to cross  reference between  them.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Just now, Old Collingwood said:

Hi Craig,    hope thanks giving is going well for you and the family,      yep  thought I would make a  start on her,      yep  I brought the delux kit and got a discount from the same seller to have the wood deck  sent with it,   I think I will be ok  with the upper in place as I understand the deck below the upper  was painted  Dark Grey/Semtex  or similar, and the wood deck  fits in front on the forecastle area  and ontop  under the boats, so my Idea is to add all the small parts  / ladders  etc  first  then I will  prime and  AP507A  Dark Grey all over  and inside  the lower deck (from where I can get  it to spray in there)

In an  Ideal world I should have got the Flyhawk  mask - but I was not aware of it when I brought the kit,    so  for the painting  the upper deck Corticene / Semtex   I will probably  brush paint the Corticene on as I would imagine It would not have been  really smooth, that way I can carefuly cut in around the fittings  and possibly put a fine tape strip down for a straight edge.

Well that the plan.

OC.

The I Love Kit version of the 1941 Hood used a wood deck application on the lower deck. I never checked to see if it was historically accurate or not. Besides the lower deck, you have the sides of the superstructure under there to paint. Maybe it won't be seen? It will be hard to paint with the upper deck in place.

1166871010_lowerdeck.thumb.jpeg.b18cf61c15894056367eb6a46d2a2e90.jpeg

223631910_upperdeck.thumb.jpeg.4efda54e88de4ad20db14be65dc0b4ee.jpeg

1 hour ago, CDW said:

The I Love Kit version of the 1941 Hood used a wood deck application on the lower deck. I never checked to see if it was historically accurate or not. Besides the lower deck, you have the sides of the superstructure under there to paint. Maybe it won't be seen? It will be hard to paint with the upper deck in place.

1166871010_lowerdeck.thumb.jpeg.b18cf61c15894056367eb6a46d2a2e90.jpeg

223631910_upperdeck.thumb.jpeg.4efda54e88de4ad20db14be65dc0b4ee.jpeg

I  will  just have to give it a go  or use one of my fine brushes,  I  wanted to  fix it down  as the Two edges that were glued on  were so delicate and I could see them breaking off.

I went on the Hood  official website and found out the info regarding the  lower deck  under the boat deck  - they say it was not wood, so I thought that makes it easier,  always a problme with fine delicate  kits.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,  so  I tackled the  inside painting sitution   - I was able to to get a fine brush inside  and paint the areas AP507A,    next  I had a go at "Little Land"   PE   - first was to fit Four ladders, they cut away from the fret  quite easy as the PE is quite thin,   I used my normal mode for bending  - hold in place with tweezers  and bend with my knife blade  then tiny bit of CA  using some fine wire  - then placed.

OC.

IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1677.JPG

IMG_1679.JPG

IMG_1680.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

For anyone who gets this kit  - watch out  for the Two  pieces that are shown in the pics above  - they are the the side bulkheads  but in the model are about 2mm wide  and no real way of getting a  secure bond at the one end  hence why it looks like it has dropped  - when its  on the hull  its not too bad as I can push it all down to lign up.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

19 minutes ago, king derelict said:

The PE ladders look very nice. I'm missing the PE - might have to get going with Illustrious very soon

Alan

Thanks mate,   I should just about be able to airbrush them if I "Carefully"  control the airbrush end  close to the gap.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Think I have done a boo boo but its too late to do anything about it  - that area  under the top mid shaip area  - Should have been  planked  even have it in my wood decking pieces  but can't get in there now   "blobby heck"......

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I think one of the hardest parts of a build like that is working out the flow of work; especially with cross referencing the kit instructions, the PE instructions and when to fit the wooden deck pieces. I got it wrong on the Geisenau and built up over one of teh decks that needed to have the wood deck installed but luckily I was able to retrieve the situation by cutting the wooden deck and installing it in pieces. All a bit nerve wracking.

Good Luck

Alan

Evening all,  I think I have recovered my little problem  -  I used my wood decking  I was able to  cut the strips down  to fit  around the frame work, then instead of peeling the backing paper off  - I glued them down using PVA  - that allowed me some time to move them around,  I also added a few washes of watery PVA on top to seal them in.

OC.

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

Nice recovery on that, OC.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just now, mtaylor said:

Nice recovery on that, OC.   

Thanks Mark,  I will be honest  - when I cut the wood  section/s  from the  sheet  and looked at it, I thought  "no way wil I fit that in there"   thats what made me come up with the idea to cut it into sections.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Little confesion  - during doing the decking pieces  I managed to dislodge one of the stairs  - yep it got crushed,   but I was able to bend the handrails back and re glue it in place.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Nice job OC!

8 hours ago, king derelict said:

I think one of the hardest parts of a build like that is working out the flow of work; especially with cross referencing the kit instructions, the PE instructions and when to fit the wooden deck pieces. I got it wrong on the Geisenau and built up over one of teh decks that needed to have the wood deck installed but luckily I was able to retrieve the situation by cutting the wooden deck and installing it in pieces. All a bit nerve wracking.

Good Luck

Alan

Alan, I completely agree.  There has to be a lot of planning, I think particularly when working in this scale.  I haven't built a Flyhawk 1/700 kit before, but the multiple sets of instructions (one for base kit, one for PE and other details) doesn't have me exactly excited.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

3 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Nice job OC!

Alan, I completely agree.  There has to be a lot of planning, I think particularly when working in this scale.  I haven't built a Flyhawk 1/700 kit before, but the multiple sets of instructions (one for base kit, one for PE and other details) doesn't have me exactly excited.

Thanks Mike,     even thinking a head to the weather deck  - fix all the little bits like ammo lockers  etc etc  then paint  all over first or  leave them off  paint  / mask for the other colour  then paint  then fit the smaller parts - keeping the seperate build assemblies  built and  painted as su assemblies  - lots of options....

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

54 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Thanks Mike,     even thinking a head to the weather deck  - fix all the little bits like ammo lockers  etc etc  then paint  all over first or  leave them off  paint  / mask for the other colour  then paint  then fit the smaller parts - keeping the seperate build assemblies  built and  painted as su assemblies  - lots of options....

OC.

On my current 1/350 build, I struggled with that question as well.  Mostly because I hate taping, I tried to order assembly versus painting to avoid having to tape.  For things like ammo lockers, I painted them separately then attached them.  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get the airbrush in tiny nooks, and would try too hard and get globs of paint.  

For things like the bridge and other structures, I find it easier to assemble off model and then attach.  The problem is sometimes the attaching part can give you difficulties like gaps, etc.  I had some problems with my bridge and had to take it off and re-glue it, and knocked off some of the PE details that I had to re-attach.  

Sometimes it's best to just go with your gut and figure it out as you go along.  Can only plan so much!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

1 minute ago, Landlubber Mike said:

On my current 1/350 build, I struggled with that question as well.  Mostly because I hate taping, I tried to order assembly versus painting to avoid having to tape.  For things like ammo lockers, I painted them separately then attached them.  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get the airbrush in tiny nooks, and would try too hard and get globs of paint.  

For things like the bridge and other structures, I find it easier to assemble off model and then attach.  The problem is sometimes the attaching part can give you difficulties like gaps, etc.  I had some problems with my bridge and had to take it off and re-glue it, and knocked off some of the PE details that I had to re-attach.  

Sometimes it's best to just go with your gut and figure it out as you go along.  Can only plan so much!

I agree  fully with you Mike.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

This is like a little baby version of when I built my  Warspite build  - anyone remember that one  - 

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all  - more work in  "Little land"  this time  attaching some  inner walls for the front  assembly,   I also fitted some  tiny mushroom vents   - just over 1mm  tall each.

OC.

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1687.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

I forgot to mention  -  when I unwrapped  the hull parts  - they were bent up like a banana  and the  extreme  bow nose point was crushed in, I was able to straighten the hull parts using the hair dryer  pushing down on my table, and the nose  section I pulled out with a round file  - but it has left a slight split but that should fill with putty  - no doubt from the crush the box got in transit.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Wow, your post person seems to have it in for you. "The Mangler." Good repairs. 😃

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

3 hours ago, Canute said:

Wow, your post person seems to have it in for you. "The Mangler." Good repairs. 😃

Thanks Ken.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,   more work dome today  - ammo lockers  an dmore ammo lockers  - some details  and a PE vent.

OC.

IMG_1689.JPG

IMG_1690.JPG

IMG_1691.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,   some more progress  -  I finished putting the smaller items  on the weather deck, and even stuffed the gaps under where the decking is,   its now ready  for priming then the first coat of Dark Grey, then I can  paint on some corticene, before fitting the wood deck to the rear part of  the weather deck.

OC.

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1694.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

Looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

5 minutes ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Looking good!

Thanks Phil.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,    You know I did  wood decking on my Warspite build?   well  discovering  1/700  is a different animal  - talk about  fiddly,   so  what have I done?    first  I primed the whole weatherdeck area, then after drying  I  found my AP507A   mixed some into my airbrush  and sprayed a few thin coats over, it needs a small amount of light sanding on a few hi spots, then  after letting it dry, I then mixed up some Corticene  by mixing Brown, Buff   and some Red,  then I brushed it on keeping it to the outer edges  of the  Corticene.

I was on a roll  so I decided to have a go at the decking section to the rear of the deck, as I said  - talk about fiddly and delicate.

So this is the outcome so far.

OC.

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

41 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Evening all,    You know I did  wood decking on my Warspite build?   well  discovering  1/700  is a different animal  - talk about  fiddly,   so  what have I done?    first  I primed the whole weatherdeck area, then after drying  I  found my AP507A   mixed some into my airbrush  and sprayed a few thin coats over, it needs a small amount of light sanding on a few hi spots, then  after letting it dry, I then mixed up some Corticene  by mixing Brown, Buff   and some Red,  then I brushed it on keeping it to the outer edges  of the  Corticene.

I was on a roll  so I decided to have a go at the decking section to the rear of the deck, as I said  - talk about fiddly and delicate.

So this is the outcome so far.

Looks very nice, tidy work

Alan