Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa by ccoyle - FINISHED - Orlik - 1/33 - CARD - Japanese Army fighter Allied code name "Oscar"

ccoyle

More exciting Oscar action!

Moving forward (literally) toward the engine mount. The mount consists of three concentric rings supporting a bulkhead. You can see that the fit hasn't been so good on the first two rings, and there is an ugly gap at the bottom. I think this gap will eventually be filled with wing and covered by a fillet -- hopefully.

oscar11.thumb.jpg.1f8faf67a49a97b93e81507dcd250fcc.jpg

But having nothing to brace the engine bulkhead is worrisome. Any pressure applied while mounting the engine could possibly collapse the structure. So, I measured the gap between to two bulkheads and cut some scrap card stock to act as spacers.

oscar12.thumb.jpg.96248bfe084dc34a45a3240131252476.jpg

And here's the last ring + bulkhead added. Once this dries, I will fill in some of the loose seams with white glue, but this will all eventually be hidden by the cowling.

oscar12A.thumb.jpg.75a0ad0b28b1b8ee4e402166c641cf26.jpg

A handy tool to have for card modeling is a screw punch. I got this one for Christmas a couple of years ago, along with a set of ten bits in 0.5 mm increments from 1.0 to 5.0 mm. Here I've used it to punch out the two holes where the wires for the horizontal stabilizers will be inserted.

oscar13.thumb.jpg.24d15ec7c7af5cdd8a8c5cda5591b0e9.jpg

And lastly, I cut out the remaining rear fuselage pieces so I can edge color them all in one batch. Soon we'll have a fuselage!

oscar14.thumb.jpg.f19bc9fe85dbb012933e449e94b6898a.jpg

Stay tuned!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Fuselage complete. Had to do a little nipping & tucking to get everything together to my satisfaction, but managed in the end. There's something weird going on with the empennage section -- the little center-line tick mark on the top and the bottom seam both line up properly with the section in front, but the printed horizontal stabilizer areas are not level. The port side is about 1 mm higher than starboard. But I'll deal with that later.

oscar15.thumb.jpg.e9882cb2ee2db6feb96dc396b875db17.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Burnin' a vacation day today and getting a little work done before settling down to watch some World Cup qualifying. I made a slight error with the vertical stabilizer which I did not catch until after it was done -- the vertical frame piece is supposed to set inside the skins about 1 mm back from the edges instead of flush. You can see the difference by looking at the aft edges of the stabilizer and fuselage. Hmm . . . oh, well. Horizontal stabilizer sub-assemblies completed and ready for final assembly.

oscar16.thumb.jpg.5d1e25a7ddb661b9b7fa729c5d0b488b.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

All stabilizers mounted and fillets in place. In order to counter the slight offset of the horizontal stabilizers, I had to add a tiny bit of dihedral -- normally the stabilizers lie in the same plane, but here they will tilt up just a smidge. The difference will only be noticed by the geekiest of airplane geeks.

oscar17.thumb.jpg.505be40ebbfcff885364ed50b2dedfc5.jpg

My wife just now asked about why the plane looks so scraped up. 😆

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Working on the wing skeleton. This has been a less than enjoyable part of the build. One problem has been that there are only two interlocking joints in the entire structure (circled); the rest are butt joints. Butt joints might not be all that bad except 1.) most of the joint locations are not marked, neither on the kit parts nor on their laser-cut replacements, and 2.) white glue and wood glue have both shown a remarkable inability to "grab" the laser-cut cardboard quickly, forcing me to tack the parts with CA and then reinforce with wood glue afterwards. Oh, and 3.) the two main spars are each a single, long, FLOPPY piece. So, non-grabby glue + no locator marks + floppy parts + almost no interlocking joints = 🤬. But it's done.

oscar18.thumb.jpg.f14bf2ea121cac3051af4e041830ff72.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Are they using a one piece wrap for the wing skins or is it cut up in separate pieces?

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

25 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Are they using a one piece wrap for the wing skins or is it cut up in separate pieces?

Each wing is one piece except for the wingtips. Like most low-wing monoplanes, each wing will have a long fillet along its root where it joins the fuselage.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

2 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Each wing is one piece except for the wingtips.

I thought so...

That's where the strength comes from.... in airplane engineering it is called semi-monocoque construction where the strength is derived from the skin attached to the formers

That as opposed to monocoque construction where all the structural strength is in the skin....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

3 hours ago, Egilman said:

in airplane engineering it is called semi-monocoque construction

Well, a card model doesn't bear the same loads and stresses as a real airplane, but its builder does have to construct it without raising his blood pressure dangerously high, like this wing might be doing. 😆

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Well, a card model doesn't bear the same loads and stresses as a real airplane, but its builder does have to construct it without raising his blood pressure dangerously high, like this wing might be doing. 😆

Best  remedy  "count  One two three"  and repeat as needed.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

8 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Best  remedy  "count  One two three"  and repeat as needed.

Actually, the situation I've run into is similar to what happened with the Mohawk, albeit on a different structure. Part of the wing construction hassle is that the perspective shown in the single diagram of the skeleton, which looks fore-to-aft, makes some aspects of the aft construction unclear, making a certain amount of guesswork necessary. To tackle this, I'm going to have to cut out and shape the wing skins to deduce where the contact points for some of the skeletal elements should be. Of course, I'll report later on whether this all worked out or not.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

So, this trough-like structure (circled) is the best I could come up with for the aft skeletal pieces. Whether it's correct or not is debatable, but the wing skin does fit properly, and the skinned wing will fit the fuselage correctly -- as far as I can tell at this point. I won't apply the skins until after I have built and fitted the wheel wells.

oscar19.thumb.jpg.e5d9e276239f650045e0a2178812a947.jpg

BTW, a strange detail of this kit's construction is that optional parts are provided to make the ailerons as separate assemblies. This wasn't an option for the rear control surfaces -- the rudder and elevators were printed as separate parts, so separate they had to be. I won't make the ailerons separately, as IMO there is little to gain visually by doing so, unless one chooses to display them in an up or down configuration, and building them separately allows more opportunities for boogering things. There are two completed examples of this kit at kartonowki.pl, and both of them have separate ailerons, but with the ailerons displayed level with the wing. You can judge for yourselves whether the reward is worth the risk.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

7 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I won't apply the skins until after I have built and fitted the wheel wells.

Changed my mind.

oscar20.thumb.jpg.f1a878278c4e895e899e582c772ed37b.jpg

Just a dry fit of the wing to fuselage.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

That is one well used aircraft.  It'll need a new paint job in the near future.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

That is one well used aircraft.  It'll need a new paint job in the near future.

From what I've been told, the Japanese used a very poor-quality paint that chipped and flaked easily, hence the characteristic scruffy look.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

A little more progress -- wing tips added and one wheel well built and installed. Parts for the second well have been cut out. You can see the rather torturous shape into which the wheel well wall (say that five times fast) must gently be shaped. I only had enough evening modeling mojo to complete one well.

oscar21.thumb.jpg.c707f1faeada0ff64a270a427e8ef559.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Nice work.  No time pressure here as the hands need to stop shaking, the nerves need to calm and the eyes uncross.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 minute ago, mtaylor said:

No time pressure here as the hands need to stop shaking, the nerves need to calm and the eyes uncross.

Mostly it's because bedtime is approaching. Sleepy modelers tend to rush and make mistakes -- it's best to know when to quit for the day.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Amen on knowing when to quit for the day/night.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

11 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Amen on knowing when to quit for the day/night.

+1

Quote:

6 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Mostly it's because bedtime is approaching. Sleepy modelers tend to rush and make mistakes -- it's best to know when to quit for the day.

I hate to suspend the build. Mostly because i hate to clean all the brushes, close the paints, clean the workbench for next time. However, stomach is a good judge when to quit. Mine is a corrupt one, i can pay with a glass of liqueur 😉

Edited by Veszett Roka
typos

Okay, now things get a little ugly . . .

First, the wheel wells were completed. You'll notice that there are a couple of pieces of fairing added to the front of them. That gap that was mentioned back in post #31 was not covered by these pieces.

oscar22.thumb.jpg.4ccd1438da7b0dd886b2ede4981afe3c.jpg

So, the first order of the day was to fill in this gap, beginning with a joiner piece cut from some scrap.

oscar23.thumb.jpg.2b8c8b852df497f02d9d9e6277117d52.jpg

But, as you can see in this shot, the ring that the joiner strip attaches to is too big.

oscar24.thumb.jpg.d9a17b67721eac4318e09b7141aec72d.jpg

I had to snip the ring open, remove a bit of material, and then rejoin it so that the resulting skin structure could meet the underlying bulkhead properly. Once that was done, I had to create some filler pieces. I first made a template to fill the gap, then cut the fillers from one of the surplus color swatches provided in the kit. These were glued in and touched up -- some random "chipping" helps hide the surgery scars.

oscar25.thumb.jpg.9b7d84e2445d2ed603c071b52f13a2ed.jpg

And here's where it gets really messy. The wing fillets are made in two pieces. The larger aft piece (mostly obscured in the photo) actually fits well and was not a problem to install. Nope, the problem was with the smaller forward piece. There simply was no way that the fillet, the lower wing fairing, and the forward fuselage were going to meet properly. At all.

oscar26.thumb.jpg.f264e03c0327b7833fc30b90fbc3d42f.jpg

Yet again, the diagrams did not present a clear view of this particular aspect of the build, meaning some guessing about the shaping was necessary, but even so, this joint wasn't going to happen cleanly. This brings back some rather unpleasant memories of my Yak-3 build, whose leading edge wing roots were also a major headache. Some filler is plainly going to be required here -- will report back later on the result.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

you've come a long way Chris.....and she looks great! :)   looks even better with the chipping....they put in some nice detail.   well done!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

hope you get the defects covered OK!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

this joint wasn't going to happen cleanly

That's the understatement of the year! It's curved in like four different directions all at once..... You know the obvious way is to fill it with putty then shape it, another way is to paper mache it... Multi layers of thin, hourglass shaped strips soaked in watery paste glue, once dry, light sanding should handle the edges....

Saw that done on one of those German forums....

Quote:

I was impressed before, but now that I'm trying to tackle a card model myself I am speechless. Can't wait to see how to tackle the gap.

So here's the patch job. I did actually use a kind of paper mache (bits of paper towel soaked in white glue), covered by a bit of spackle, then sanded down. I touched it up a little more after this photo, so it looks better at the moment.

oscar27.thumb.jpg.d20c12dcc186be94d0702cb63d25a86f.jpg

And here's the entire left wing fillet.

oscar28oscar02.thumb.jpg.4a211bbd73f82137a6423ab07a57b477.jpg

Only one more side to do! 🤪

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco