USS ENGLAND (DE-635) by ccoyle - FINISHED - HMV - 1/250 - CARD

14 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

Would the canopy glue work for general building, planks, rigging?

Personally, I wouldn't use it for those purposes. It sets too quickly for planking and isn't dilute enough for rigging.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

I found out that a 3D-printed hedgehog is available in 1/240 scale -- along with 3", 1.1", and 20mm gun mounts. 😬 Oh, heart be still!!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

If it was up to just me, I would pull the trigger on this right now. But if my wife were to see the bank statement? 😲 😬😬😬💀

image.png.d5180e6ddc8500542334d7965732e5a1.png

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Lol, just buy her something too!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

14 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

They never appreciate a man's needs. 

I could, theoretically, point out all of the clothes, furnishings, and other sundry items she has purchased without a peep from me, but I think we all know how that would go over. 😂

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

53 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

If it was up to just me, I would pull the trigger on this right now.

If any model deserved the upgrade it is this one! Too bad life get in the way sometimes and reality sets in. You might get away with it if it was fathers day next week instead of Mothers day!:unsure:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

31 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

I could, theoretically, point out all of the clothes, furnishings, and other sundry items she has purchased without a peep from me, but I think we all know how that would go over.

Yeah, it's not good to poke sticks at the bear. :wacko:

2 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I could, theoretically, point out all of the clothes, furnishings, and other sundry items she has purchased without a peep from me, but I think we all know how that would go over. 😂

You show much wisdom here.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

15 minutes ago, Dion Dunn said:

and how you could spend all of that time with her instead!

The very thought would make my wife load me down with Honey Do project's that would be certain to last me the rest of my life!:(

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

14 hours ago, lmagna said:

The very thought would make my wife load me down with Honey Do project's that would be certain to last me the rest of my life!:(

My Wife learned very early on in our relationship that my hobbies are what keeps me sane.  On form of driving me insane is more honey-do's.

Besides, my other hobby is Porsches, so I always threaten her with either a new performance part for the car, or another model.  ;)  

Dion

current dry dock USS Arizona

It looks like you fall into the area of life I found myself in while in my late teens Dion. Trying to figure out which interest was most important, modeling, cars, or women. Couldn't afford all three back then!:( Not certain I can today.:D Still have Mothers Day and our 40th anniversary to pay for in the next few weeks!:36:

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Well, well -- lookit what the postman brought today! Let's see what we have . . .

. . . laser-cut frames and resin wheels for Kartonowa Kolekcja's A6M2 Zero and Nieuport 11.c. The resin wheels are a new thing for me.

20220429_182432.thumb.jpg.87a99243865d6da8bb29e3e2e1ad8d1c.jpg

And a new issue from GPM -- an F6F-3 Hellcat, plus vacuformed canopy and 3D-printed wheels.

20220429_182356.thumb.jpg.c2ae4163db6fc87f2a638936fcbdde5a.jpg

I will have more to say about this particular kit in the very near future. In fact, I have an announcement to make: USS England will be going on a temporary hiatus. Don't worry -- it's not burn-out in this instance. A friend and coworker of mine is moving to Virginia in September, though he will still be working remotely for the company, and I will be building the Hellcat for him as a going away gift. I will say more about that when I start the new build log. Once I get that set up, I will place a link here. I may work on England concurrently here and there, who knows, but I will definitely be coming back to her when the Hellcat is finished.

See you all over in the 'non-categorized builds' section!

EDIT: Here is the promised link! ccoyle's Hellcat build

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

On 4/28/2022 at 7:04 PM, ccoyle said:

We are all married to the same woman. They just have different first names.

On 4/28/2022 at 5:33 PM, ccoyle said:

If it was up to just me, I would pull the trigger on this right now. But if my wife were to see the bank statement? 😲 😬😬😬💀

image.png.d5180e6ddc8500542334d7965732e5a1.png

just say kev told me to buy it

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 3 months later...

Chris - 

Just went through this build log and am truly impressed.

It is amazing how clean and crisp all your edges are and how you persevere in building all those tiny details.

PS - my vote is to spend for the 3-D printed hedgehogs and other fittings.

Sometimes it is better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.

Flowers and a dinner at a good restaurant always eases those difficult conversations with my wife.

Be well

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

• 2 weeks later...

Some goodies arrived in the mail today. These are 3D-printed detail parts from Darius Lipinski, the kit's designer. I have already added the paper versions of some of these parts to the model, but the printed parts are so nice that I might just be tempted to see if I can safely remove some of those paper parts and replace them.

So, what have we got?

Vents, valves, life rings, hoses, binnacle, signaling lamps, directors.

england69.thumb.jpg.e22a582a7f33fea1779fdb7093e82fa7.jpg

Anchors, bitts, fairleads.

england70.thumb.jpg.d39bea68f9a0a9a2437eb8e8f8635804.jpg

And finally, armament: 20 mm mounts, barrels for 3" and 1.1" guns, torpedoes, and hedgehog bombs.

england71.thumb.jpg.26e6cfac6cbb14a0e4ffd066cc1b325a.jpg

This build will probably go back on the bench after I complete the 109 build.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to it!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 1 month later...

Okay, the Messerschmitt is done, so it's back to USS England. As you know, I bought some after-market resin parts from Darius Lipinski. Some of these are parts whose card counterparts are already on the model; some would probably be too difficult to remove from the model without damaging it and, in exchange, their resin replacements would probably not be a noticeable upgrade. Other parts are definitely worth an attempt at replacement. The gun directors are one such part.

Here's the card director, after careful removal from the model, and its resin counterpart after painting:

england72.jpg.d2522ad42851f9eae83ede496712163d.jpg

And the new part in place:

england73.thumb.jpg.1e9a1ed99c2f8bdb8a4f13b96df32370.jpg

More cosmetic surgery to follow . . .

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Step 22 (cont'd)

Over the last few days, I have been replacing some of the already-installed paper parts with their 3D-printed counterparts. It hasn't been a cakewalk -- some of the parts are incredibly tiny. On two separate occasions, I thought I'd even lost a part, only to discover that it was stuck to the oil on a hand or finger, and too delicate to even notice! I also went back and painted over some of the red parts (valve handles, hoses, etc.) that folks in the know said should be gray.

Once that was done, it was time to move on to new construction. Next up was the hedgehog mortar. Only the mortar bombs and base are resin, the rest is card. According to what I could find online, the bombs (technically missiles, according to the USN) were either gray or olive drab; I went for olive drab.

england74.thumb.jpg.52628d58d4bcfcf185c17dde12486459.jpg

With that installed, work can now commence on the forward gun tub.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Step 22 (done -- sort of)

The bow is looking busier and busier with the forward gun tub completed and many white spots "killed" by the addition of bollards and fairleads. I say "done -- sort of" because I left off a few details that I think should be left until later, namely the mounting of the anchors and jackstaff. Step 23 will encompass the addition of many more details.

england75.thumb.jpg.cf789164b921c46d0e612484e5869fce.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Step 23

This step didn't require too much work: searchlights, signal lamps, Carley floats, and a couple of lockers. The next step will include construction of the depth charge racks. 😮

england76.thumb.jpg.5e17fabbff33920782a758621f337eb5.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I just read this entire topic from post 1 - outstanding work Chris. I have two HMV models in my stack, and I'm sure I'll create build threads for them if/when I start working on them. Reading through this has given me a lot of ideas around how to achieve the detail I'd like. Eagerly looking forward to future updates!

-Daz