Nieuport 11c.1 by ccoyle - FINISHED - Kartonowa Kolekcja - 1:33 - CARD

Or he needs starting a very large, very complicated model with lots of tiny parts, so that he is busy at least three weeks. :)

Having said that: actually I like these slightly less complicated models more than the very complicated ones: they have the looks and feel of a good model, and they are not afraid of showing that they are made of paper. 

Jan

Edited by amateur

Just now, amateur said:

Or he needs starting a very large, very complicated model with lots of tiny parts, so that he is busy at least three weeks.

I'm thinking that USS England will be moving back to the front burner in the not-too-distant future.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

8 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I'm thinking that USS England will be moving back to the front burner in the not-too-distant future.

It’s funny, I’m thinking of interrupting the Arizona build for an airplane build, the only issue is my airplane stock is only Halinski kits.   That’s not a quick interruption.

Dion

current dry dock USS Arizona

The Big Reveal!

The Lewis gun took about three hours to build, but now she is all done. I really enjoyed this build -- quite refreshing after the struggles with the GPM Hellcat. I can't recommend the Kartonowa Kolekcja kits highly enough -- try one! Now, enjoy the pictures!

First, the Lewis gun. The Allies didn't have synchronization gear at this point in the war, so the Lewis gun was mounted to fire above the propeller arc.

bebe28.thumb.jpg.775013fa485cefc78c15802e054862cd.jpg

And now for the glamour shots!

bebe29.thumb.jpg.ec96014c0fdd5f91b45156194551d4a8.jpg

bebe30.thumb.jpg.cf2cc3d87ab0b58f643a460cd3bd5d07.jpg

bebe31.thumb.jpg.20fff4fa3e5b98e00504e1b7c4fc4c08.jpg

bebe32.thumb.jpg.0e6373a6504d74f183dccc3d69dfe913.jpg

bebe33.thumb.jpg.31158499214afc804bdbf0e25552e30e.jpg

bebe35.thumb.jpg.76a91836231a90d3055804526c8ec2ed.jpg

bebe36.thumb.jpg.4bb3d4df54055306cf33f7643d78e026.jpg

bebe37.thumb.jpg.ed2b6af95c7e88b1ec219bb306a35ba6.jpg

bebe38.thumb.jpg.d32177cbdad5180de7618dfe5a9fe8e6.jpg

bebe39.thumb.jpg.3fd769834a8e29229bb54c1597d788e5.jpg

bebe40.thumb.jpg.f8e07b6436ba3f211de3ea2d21304914.jpg

bebe41.thumb.jpg.2b6ffb0c46a0e4c770ab6be71525a2d4.jpg

bebe42.thumb.jpg.b705fd8a77d8648937794423add8dd37.jpg

bebe43.thumb.jpg.e317fc6ada2230e339f9442ebab5b394.jpg

bebe44.thumb.jpg.b9950760b10b89c1a6f29e4a2152a7f2.jpg

bebe45.thumb.jpg.ed2b186c5cd4fa0416fe3da091954fec.jpg

And lastly, a family photo of the two KK kits together, the Nieuport and the DH.82A.

bebe46.thumb.jpg.8d26d7ceb041994f7d287c4d8bb2cc0a.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Sweet looking little bird, Chris.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I usually say something like OUTSTANDING, but this gets an additional unreal, unbelievable, stupendous or something like that. Really nice Chris! 👍😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Absolutely outstanding Chris.

Are the control cables to the elevators and rudder made from EZ-Line? You mentioned in an earlier post that this stuff could be difficult to glue.

Cheers.

Edited by Richard44

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

Beautiful rendition of a Nieuport 11 Bebe' brother....

You need a DH II and a Eindecker to go with it (in keeping with the period)  {chuckle} 

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

5 hours ago, Richard44 said:

Are the control cables to the elevators and rudder made from EZ-Line?

Yes, but these are actually rather easy to do. The trick is to carefully slice open the ends of the control horns. Once the forward end of the line is tacked to the fuselage, I put a dab of glue on the control horn and stretch the line across the cut end, then pinch the cut closed. Not historically accurate, of course, but it works.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I'm absolutely, totally impressed by both these models! I must try a card model sometime.

As a kid I was interested in WWI planes but I never wondered about something this model brings to mind: looking at the Lewis gun, and recalling that the SE-5A had a gun up there too, did the pilots actually have to reach way up there to pull the trigger all while flying the plane in a dogfight no less?! Or did they pull a string? 😄

The Nieuport 11 gun mount allowed the gun to be pivoted downward to allow for changing the ammo drum. Later, the Foster mount was adopted. I'm virtually certain that the gun was fired by a cable.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Amazing work Chris  - Superb build.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Incredible work again Chris, watching you do these, I must say I'm sorely tempted 😀 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

5 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

I'm absolutely, totally impressed by both these models! I must try a card model sometime.

As a kid I was interested in WWI planes but I never wondered about something this model brings to mind: looking at the Lewis gun, and recalling that the SE-5A had a gun up there too, did the pilots actually have to reach way up there to pull the trigger all while flying the plane in a dogfight no less?! Or did they pull a string? 😄

Chris  is spot on about the cable.  Reloading though before the mounts changed was problematic in that the pilot had to stand up, hold the stick between his legs while he changed the magazine.  Belt fed guns were a vast improvement.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

28 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Belt fed guns were a vast improvement.

It was the interrupter gear that allowed belt fed weapons to fire through the propeller arc that was the vast improvement..... Belt fed weapons had been around since 1876.... (Hiram Maxim is credited with the first modern belt fed machine gun, the Maxim gun of 1884) The British extensively used it and an improved version of it in WWI &WWII, known as the Vickers Gun)

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

On 8/2/2022 at 5:07 PM, Dion Dunn said:

It’s funny, I’m thinking of interrupting the Arizona build for an airplane build, the only issue is my airplane stock is only Halinski kits.

Which ones? I think my next one (when I get to it) will be the Bf-109E-4 (#43).

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

10 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Yes, but these are actually rather easy to do. The trick is to carefully slice open the ends of the control horns. Once the forward end of the line is tacked to the fuselage, I put a dab of glue on the control horn and stretch the line across the cut end, then pinch the cut closed. Not historically accurate, of course, but it works.

Thanks Chris. I had assumed that this was what you did. Very neatly done.

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

Beautiful model without reservations.

Cheers,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

I almost bought the Val that was available from the recent estate sale at Paper Modelers, but it's a bit large for my display options.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco