Camel by RGL - FINISHED - Machinen Krieger - 1/20

RGL

So Cool.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I didn't know any of these were still around....

Very COOL!!

I'm in....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Looks like some relative of a Star Wars AT-AT. Guess I missed out on these when they came out. Interesting contraption.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Painting in some metal panels. I did an aluminium base, then several shades of red worn back with chipping fluid. I then have it a red filter. It looks filthy which I’m pretty happy with. I’ll give it a satin coat next before masking for the next lot of panels in another colour. 

25E9B8B7-D807-463F-B36F-7B3E8254EFA9.jpeg

83201AA5-64E5-412E-8332-06B97141A687.jpeg

C2BA3A6C-AB4B-4CE5-9226-3121937DED0F.jpeg

Greg

Nicely done, beating up those panels.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

This is looking great Greg, love the interior. I have several MaK kits in my stash and built an Ammoknight lately. 1/20 is a great scale for exploring new ways in painting and airbrushing and you are free to choose the schemes. The Ammoknight was painted using a multilayer dot technique by brush and was enormous fun to paint. I still have to finish my little dio with it.
Yours come out fine, given, what you have achieved already. I can't wait to see how your painting and weathering works out. Makes me want to start my 'Küster' soon.

On 10/17/2022 at 8:04 PM, Egilman said:

I didn't know any of these were still around....

There are a lot available from Hasegawa and Wave with some re-pops here and then. On the other hand there are many smaller companies, producing transkits, full kits, figures and equipment mostly from resin.
Worth a look and a great change from the usual suspects in plastic modelling.

Cheers Rob 

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

Is it too  late  to  change it  to another colour  - Grey  -  Silver  or  someting?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I like the weathered white on the capsule, Greg. It makes a nice contrast to the cockpit and if I remember correctly the glazing of the cockpit is tinted.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

• 3 weeks later...

Greg,

That looks amazing.

I've never done 'weathering', or tried to turn plastic in to metal using paints etc. If I hadn't have known, I'd swear the three pictures above are of a metal device! It's got my interest twitching 🙂

I know there is a wealth of weathering info throughout this website, but I'd like to start at the beginning as a beginner.... so, is there a beginner's book you'd recommend or a 'weathering' beginners website I could visit to commence the learning process?

Thanks, Richard

Amazing work Greg, the weathering looks spot on. These 1/20 scale kits are a perfect canvas for painting and weathering techniques.

1 hour ago, Rik Thistle said:

That looks amazing.

I've never done 'weathering', or tried to turn plastic in to metal using paints etc. If I hadn't have known, I'd swear the three pictures above are of a metal device! It's got my interest twitching 🙂

I know there is a wealth of weathering info throughout this website, but I'd like to start at the beginning as a beginner.... so, is there a beginner's book you'd recommend or a 'weathering' beginners website I could visit to commence the learning process?

Hello Richard, the metamorphosis of simple plastic into wood, metal or cloth, is what drives me in modelling. I love it, when a plastic model looks metal heavy and experimenting with techniques is pure fun. I doubt, there is the one book, which teaches weathering and material appearance comprehensively.
There are too many techniques and they differ from subject to subject. 1/24 cars are different from armor or planes or ships in 1/350. Different surfaces, materials and scale effect are to consider. 
I read a lot about weathering and material reproduction in my early days of modelling, but don't use my reference a lot lately. I try to imagine how something, I desire to depict would look in reality and then check my learned techniques and available materials for the best solution.
Imagination is, I found, the key and it truly helps to walk through the world with open eyes, to see what light does to materials, how corrosion builds up, to get a feel for how shiny materials are.
I would recommend to choose a project and then ask, how to achieve the desired look. This way, you have an anchor point for your weathering process and then, guess what, it's practice, practice, practice,...

Last year, I painted an 1/20 Ammo Knight and developed a, at least to me, new technique similar to Pointillismus, using millions of tiny color dots to render the paintjob. The little dio, including the Ammo Knight is not finished, but I really enjoyed the project, which was only started to test the painting method, I had created in my mind.

@RGL: Greg, If you feel your thread hijacked by showing these pics, please let me know and I delete them.

IMG_8638.JPG.ba1747a2785f193f8f0197abe94a866d.JPG

IMG_8640.JPG.d3b3a9345e018d76064af7d2a2a47923.JPG

Cheers Rob

Edited by DocRob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Rob,

After seeing yours and Greg's work I realise there is another unexplored world out there for me!

I have casually watched quite a few YT videos over the years of people weathering models and was very impressed. However it wasn't that relevant to my pastimes, but now that I look closer I'm getting more interested.

I'll have a further dig around the internet and see what else I can learn on the subject, thanks.

Richard.

Excellent  work Greg  -   really  nice.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The Camel looks really great Greg, I like the unusual color scheme. Tear and weathering fit perfectly for a workhorse under harsh conditions.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Incredible work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

On 11/14/2022 at 7:56 AM, Rik Thistle said:

I've never done 'weathering', or tried to turn plastic in to metal using paints etc.

Me neither. I built plastic models in my youth, always sans weathering, and one reason I've never gone back to them is the daunting learning curve for achieving realistic weathering. My hat is off to all who have acquired that particular skill set.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane