HM Cutter Trial 1790 by chris watton - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64th

51 minutes ago, jfhealey said:

How do you work so fast?? I am beginning to think there may be two of you or maybe Chris Watton is a spoof name for a factory full of tiny elvish boat builders.
Its another lovely vessel.

Any chance you might one day up your preferred scale to 1/48?

Fred

I find that working for myself is much better, I can streamline my projects. What I start, I can finish, rather than when being paid by someone else, having to put up with starting one project and half way through, asked to drop that and start something else. Rinse and repeat..

No plans for 48th scale for my main line of kits, very happy sticking with 64th.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Very interesting design and technology for an XVIII century vessel. It must have taken some strong arms, to lift these keels up....

Chris, if you are looking for unusual ships to model, there is a guy on that French forum who is building the vessel (Le Louxor) that was used to carry the Egyptian Obelisk all the way to France: 

https://www.laroyale-modelisme.net/t28885-allege-le-louqsor-partie-1-scratch-1-50-de-jm-mai33

alege-1.jpg.df61c2e0b2ecbce34d4790753a5404c0.jpg

alege-2.thumb.jpg.9c572d2db1719ad0f469e0ebaa44af3d.jpg

alege-3.thumb.jpg.99bac3d1831688657aeb35044b07e906.jpg

alege-4.jpg.b410768aa5795a93375c0fadbb870da5.jpg

That would do a very unique vessel and could offer a fantastic diorama depicting the loading (or unloading) of the Obelisk.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Chris,  Your readers might be interested to the backstory behind Captain Shank and his “drop keel” invention.

In the early years of the American Revolution, British Strategy was to split New England from the rest of the American Colonies by an offensive down the Lake Champlain/ Hudson River axis.  This of course required control of Lake Champlain, resulting in a shipbuilding race between the Colonists and the British throughout the summer of 1776.   The British won the race resulting in the October 1776 tactical victory at Valcour Island.  The shipbuilding race, however, delayed the campaign until the next year when the Americans trapped and forced the surrender of the British at Saratoga.

The Royal Navy Officer responsible for the British shipbuilding effort was the same Captain Shank that designed your Cutter Trial.  The Lake Champlain Campaign required shallow draft vessels and the urgency to launch armed craft before the end of the short summer season resulted in vessels on both sides unable to sail to windward; the American Gundalows and the heavily armed British Radeaux Thunderer.  This had a notable effect on both the tactics and outcome of theresulting battle.

This is speculation but I believe that Shank’s drop keel invention was inspired by his Revolutionary War experience.

Roger

19 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

Chris,  Your readers might be interested to the backstory behind Captain Shank and his “drop keel” invention.

In the early years of the American Revolution, British Strategy was to split New England from the rest of the American Colonies by an offensive down the Lake Champlain/ Hudson River axis.  This of course required control of Lake Champlain, resulting in a shipbuilding race between the Colonists and the British throughout the summer of 1776.   The British won the race resulting in the October 1776 tactical victory at Valcour Island.  The shipbuilding race, however, delayed the campaign until the next year when the Americans trapped and forced the surrender of the British at Saratoga.

The Royal Navy Officer responsible for the British shipbuilding effort was the same Captain Shank that designed your Cutter Trial.  The Lake Champlain Campaign required shallow draft vessels and the urgency to launch armed craft before the end of the short summer season resulted in vessels on both sides unable to sail to windward; the American Gundalows and the heavily armed British Radeaux Thunderer.  This had a notable effect on both the tactics and outcome of theresulting battle.

This is speculation but I believe that Shank’s drop keel invention was inspired by his Revolutionary War experience.

Roger

Thank you. I did know, I have read this book twice over:

The Struggle for Sea Power: The Royal Navy vs the World, 1775-1782 by Dr Sam Willis

The Struggle for Sea Power: The Royal Navy vs the World, 1775-1782: Amazon.co.uk: Dr Sam Willis: 9781848878471: Books

Highly recommended.

logo.jpg

On 4/29/2023 at 10:02 AM, Gregory said:

Just for reference there are some pictures in the Gallery of a contemporary Trial model.

Thank you for a nice set of photos from the N.M.M. @Gregory. These pics of legacy models are always very informative. 

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

On 5/1/2023 at 1:35 PM, chris watton said:

The Struggle for Sea Power: The Royal Navy vs the World, 1775-1782 by Dr Sam Willis

This is an excellent read, like all of Willis' books.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

I've been wondering what my next model would be. It needed to be smaller than Diana as I'm running out of room and now I think that I've found it.

David

David

Previous Builds

HM Cutter Hunter Mamoli 1:74

Baltic Ketch Scotland - Corel 1:64

HMS Fly - Swan Class ship sloop - Victory models 1:64

HMS Diana - Artois Class Heavy Frigate - Caldercraft - 1:64

HM Cutter Trial 1790 - Vanguard Models - 1:64 

18th Century Merchantman Half Hull - NRG-1:48 

Current Build

HMS Speedy 1782 2023 Edition - Vanguard Models - 1:64

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I have quite literally just finished the Trial Cutter prototype. This was a fun little project and went together a lot quicker than I thought. As mentioned (I think), this is larger than Lady Nelson, but slightly smaller than Alert (but a hell of a lot more pre cut than either), with overall length being 560mm with bowsprit and boom (Hull alone being around 330mm long)

Trial Cutter A45.jpg

Trial Cutter A47.jpg

Trial Cutter A48.jpg

Trial Cutter A49.jpg

Trial Cutter A50.jpg

Trial Cutter A51.jpg

Trial Cutter A52.jpg

Trial Cutter A53.jpg

Trial Cutter A54.jpg

Trial Cutter A55.jpg

Trial Cutter A56.jpg

logo.jpg

12 minutes ago, Tom V said:

When can it be  pre ordered

Once it is 100% ready and only when printed materials are ordered and delivery imminent, it will go on sale. Am thinking July, as I still have CAD plans to finalise and then the manual. Almost all laser cutting is already complete, and the PE sheets (0.4 and 0.2mm) ordered.

I have made sure that all pear 0.8mm sheets are as perfect as they can be, so no marks on the etched planking sheets. 

I think the only thing missing from the pics above is the name plate - haven't laser engraved/cut that yet...

She originally had 8x3 pounder cannon, but a little later, 4x12 pounder carronades were added, and this is how I have kitted her, with 12 cannon in total. She does seem to have swivel gun posts, and I have added swivel gun brackets in the PE sheets, but will not add the actual cannon. This is because I do not think she was ever given any, and all research I have done never mentions the swivel guns at all. Plus, with the addition of the carronades, the swivels were not required anyway.

ETA - There are depth markings on the 0.2mm PE sheet, I just forgot to add them to my prototype...

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

8 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Very nice! Much sleeker-looking than a typical cutter.

She does have a shallower draught than normal cutters, hence the drop keels. This also means that there is very little actual planking to this. For the first planking (starting at below main wale level), I think there are only 12 x 1x5mm limewood planks per side, and 14 or 15 x 0.8x4mm pear planks per side.

logo.jpg

A wonderful addition to the ever growing VM range

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Oboship said:

Still so, waiting for the shop to open...🤪🙂

I have the product page live, but am just waiting for the photo etched sheets from Italy. Once I have these, she goes on sale (or is is sail...)

HM Trial Cutter – 1790 – VANGUARD MODELS

Trial Cutter box label.jpg

logo.jpg

Will be ordering as soon as it is available.     I'm just entering retirement.    All home projects are caught up so I should be able to spend a lot of time with these models.    I may even get two or three models going at the same time.   Work on one what waiting for glues to set on another kit..  Presently have just completed step 65 of the Vanguard Flirt.

Can't wait.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I thought I would not be getting my photo etched sheets for this until September, as I was convinced the Italians would not have them ready before they shut down for almost 2 months.

However, yesterday, I received news that my production Trial PE sheets are ready to pick up! I have just booked the parcel pick up, so will have the photo etch sheets next week, and the Trial Cutter will be available - finally!

logo.jpg

It's great when a supplier is AHEAD of schedule.  :cheers:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

On 7/28/2023 at 10:32 AM, chris watton said:

Update:

I thought I would not be getting my photo etched sheets for this until September, as I was convinced the Italians would not have them ready before they shut down for almost 2 months.

However, yesterday, I received news that my production Trial PE sheets are ready to pick up! I have just booked the parcel pick up, so will have the photo etch sheets next week, and the Trial Cutter will be available - finally!

That's very good news!

Uwe