Young America 1853 by EdT - FINISHED - extreme clipper

Young America - extreme clipper 1853
Part 103 – Planking and Wales continued

The work proceeds apace.  Post-holiday lull and the winter weather helps.  Work on the lower hull requires either some gymnastics or some other support for the model.  The first picture shows the simple setup that allows the model to be tilted as needed – a very un-shipyard-like look.

post-570-0-93928600-1420647049_thumb.jpg

The wale on this side is about one-half planked in this picture.  The next picture shows the wale planks converging at the lowest perimeter strake at the stern.

post-570-0-45314100-1420647050_thumb.jpg

The brass rod is the diameter of the gudgeon eyes and is being used to mark the center of the helm port by laying it on the sternpost.  In the next picture a hole for the port has been roughed out.

post-570-0-76150400-1420647050_thumb.jpg

The rudder head was round and was encased at the port in a sleeve – wood or iron – to prevent ingress of water.  The diameter of the rudder shaft was 16” – matching the sternpost.  With the sleeve the opening will take up much of the area as yet unplanked.  I decided to fill the area with a single chock as shown in the next picture.

post-570-0-27697700-1420647051_thumb.jpg

A circular opening for the sleeve and rudder head will be cut through this later.  In the next picture the hole has been centered.

post-570-0-75595000-1420647051_thumb.jpg

Additional wale strakes are being added in this picture.  In the next picture the final piece on the port side has been boiled and is being fitted to dry.

post-570-0-25690700-1420647052_thumb.jpg

The planks on this side are being stepped back at each frame to allow the stern area to be completed without adding more strakes on this unplanked side.  Hence these last two pieces are very short – the lowest will be half the length shown.

The next picture shows the final wale strake in place at the stern on the starboard side.

post-570-0-77353400-1420647052_thumb.jpg

This side will be planked down below the waterline so there are more strakes to be fitted at the stern.  These will diminish down to the thickness of the common lower planking.

I don’t want to use this forum to pitch the forthcoming book, but I feel that a few words are in order, since several people have asked about it. 

Bob Friedman of Seawatchbooks and I were both quite enthused about a book on American clipper ship modeling.  We both felt this was a neglected area.  However, I had some concerns about another “full framing” methodology book that would be a rehash of previous material.  I was also concerned about writing a book about a large, fairly advanced structural model that would probably appeal mainly to a small slice of experienced modelers.

It took some time for me to resolve these issues and decide to write the book – two books hopefully – the first on modeling the hull and the second on masting and rigging. 

Like the Naiad books – and unlike this build log – the books will be very heavy on methods – I like the word processes.  As work on YA progressed, the processes used were both different enough and in some ways unique and this allayed some of my concerns about redundancy. 

However, I still wanted to reach a broader range of modelers – specifically potential or less-experienced scratchbuilders looking for a foothold and some help on methods.  To this end the book will also include methods, drawings, text and pictures for construction of a smaller, simpler POB version of the model.  The processes developed for this model are designed to provide a basis for advancement to fully-framed modeling using the upright, shipyard-like, methods that many of us favor.  The planned volume on rigging – if we get that far – will apply to both versions. Simpler tools, fewer fancy devices and readily available materials will also be used for the POB model.

To support this important content, a second, 1:96 POB model is being constructed.  Until making the book decision, I have been careful to exclude this from posted pictures but that precaution is now no longer necessary so I will show one picture of the current work area with both models in progress.

post-570-0-30643800-1420647053_thumb.jpg

Although having two models in the shop has exponentially increased the clutter, the biggest problems are keeping the two scales straight and using the right drawings – and getting all  the work done on schedule.

Ed

So Ed you don't sleep either, by the looks of it. Amazing the amount of superb modelling in such a short time.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Beautiful planking job Ed, especially around that difficult stern area. Nice! 

Cheers 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Ed -  Thanks for posting more fabulous work.  I was picturing the full size ship being pitched over as in the first photo for planking the lower regions - it brought a smile to my face.  At least you don't have to work for hours holding your arms above your shoulders - that is always the most painful position I can think of to work in :)

The info on the two volumes to come is very interesting to me.  A Naiad-like volume (or volumes) on clippers is of great interest to me and I will most likely pull the trigger on that one.  The POB version being covered there is just a plus for me.

As always great work - it is a pleasure watching and learning from your process and posts.

Thanks,

bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Ed,

I love the transition from the wale strakes to the first rabbeted plank on the sternpost. That pic alone is worth 10,000 words.

When I was working, "processes" was a dirty word, mainly because the people developing them had no idea what they were imposing on us to do. Further, the imposition of processes was (to me) very draconian. But, after reading your Naiad books and following your build logs, I really appreciate the way you implement processes, and how helpful they can truly be. Thank you.

I, too, am looking forward to your YA books. Your books will again help myself (and others) become better modelers.

Harvey

Ed,  I have a feeling you are either a glutton or punishment or a workaholic.  You continue to amaze us.  

David B

Ed,

You made that transition look so much simpler than I thought it could be.  I love it!!    Walt

Friends who visit my shop and see my little fleet for the first time often go slightly overboard with their "emoticons".... I'm speaking of folks seeing something like a fully rigged Vic for the first time....not real hard to impress....right?

My point in telling this is.... They do not realize that my modeling skills would hardly be above average among my modeling friends.

So, in order to put things into perspective, I sit them down and take them on a tour of a few of my favorite builds....and I usually save EdT for last....Leaves them speechless.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Your comments and the 40 likes leave me pretty speechless - so I'll just say thanks.

Ed

I had visited your build earlier this week and made a note to come back and start at the beginning

Came back at just before 10 am this morning and it is now approaching 4 pm

Thank you

I have learnt so much today

love the pins

love the copper wire

love the mono filament

love the blackening 

love the....... everything about your build.

I want to be just like you when I grow up and that is saying a lot because until now I never wanted to grow up!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Ed,,,,,may I ask what your second model is?

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Thanks, again everyone.

Alan, that's what I call a commitment - most appreciated - especially if you found something useful.

Rob, the second model is a 1:96, POB version of Young America.  Its a demonstration model for the forthcoming book.

I should have some more to post soon - maybe today.

Ed

Awesome......thanks Ed.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

A second model:  no wonder it's taking so long :D .  I see you're using lots of bulkheads. 

Lots of processes.  I really like that about your books.

Maury

A Grand model from a Grand Master builder

Thanks for sharing your your lovely work Ed.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Young America - extreme clipper 1853
Part 104 – Planking and Wales continued

In the first picture the model has be uprighted and plumbed so the load waterline could be marked.

post-570-0-09719900-1421158564_thumb.jpg

I needed to do this to set the extent of planking on each side.  The wood block is my gauge. 

This was also a good opportunity to mark out and bore the holes for the cabin lights as shown in the next photo.

post-570-0-64208100-1421158564_thumb.jpg

The inboard finish planking was also installed and bored out.  I will show this later.  Brass tubes through to the interior will be added later.  The next picture shows the five openings on the starboard side.

post-570-0-97026200-1421158564_thumb.jpg

Planking has progressed downward in this picture – below the bottom of the wale – but there is still more to be added. In the next picture the hull has again been inverted to complete the planking.

post-570-0-48167400-1421158565_thumb.jpg

In this picture the aft planking is being stepped back with two strakes at each step on the starboard side.   This will permit several strakes of brass sheathing – each two planks wide to be wide to be installed later.  The sheathing band will extend to the edge of the lowest planks.  The top strake of sheathing will be on the waterline, with the strakes below parallel to the run of the planks and gored into the top strake.

On the port side there will be no sheathing and the planking will end higher to leave the framing exposed. 

post-570-0-97985000-1421158565_thumb.jpg

This planking is stepped back higher up as shown again roughly parallel to the LWL – in single strake steps on this side.  Some planking is needed on this side so the deadeye chains can be fixed and also to provide a nicer view of the finished stern – at least from the starboard quarter.

In the next picture the hull has been uprighted again.

post-570-0-45949400-1421158566_thumb.jpg

The planking of the starboard side shown is complete. The strakes below the 20 wale strakes diminish down from the wale thickness of 6” to the 4” thickness of the common bottom plank.  This transition is barely perceptible.  The top of the sheathing line can just be made out in this picture. 

I can’t explain why, but seeing this expanse of planking makes one realize just how large this ship was.  This was not as pronounced when the hull was in frame.

Ed

Ed,

you leave me flabbergasted; as each time I open your post you made a big jump ahaed towards completion. The spead with which you progress with your project is amazing.

Since you do not explicitely deal with spiling the planks I do presume that you dealt with it in your Najad book. Our do you expand this topic in more detail in your forthcoming book(s)?

Greetings from Hamburg and the river Elbe

Peter

building: 3-masted schooner HEINRICH from 1907 (on hold)

on the drawing board: 3-masted top-sail schooner M.A.James

Which compliment could I add here which has not already be payed several times?

Whatever, even if it is for the umpteenth time: brilliant workmanship, a great build an a great log!

Always looking forward for the continuation

Klaus

Yup! I can only echo what everyone else has said Ed! (Poet? Nah!  :rolleyes: ) After going through your Victory build, then the Naiad, all I can say is these builds of yours never cease to impress and raise the bar. Absolutely beautiful!

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

AWESOME!

Maury

Again it is a joy to watch your ship taking shape Ed, beautiful workmanship. In the picture with the drill cutting the port lights, I wondered about break out on the inside, do you hold a block there to prevent the wood from splitting away as it breaks through or is that not an issue because you are using a brad point drill or the wood just doesn't do that in this case?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Thanks for the comments and questions.  Let me try to answer those.

Peter, there was no spiling needed on any of the outboard planking and in fact very little on the ship so far.  I am more of a boiler/bender than a spiler, but there was some spiling on Naiad - at least on the waterways forward as I recall - and the method I use for that was covered in  Volume II.  Many of the planks on the YA stern required bending.  That process was mentioned in earlier posts but will be covered more thoroughly in the YA book.  Also, there was some spiling - my style - for the inboard deck transom work.  I may have briefly described that in an earlier post but that too will be covered - as will all the methods used on the model..

Micheal, very good question.  Tear-out is an issue, particularly on the backside.  The brad point drill at high speed can eliminate it on the front side but it still occurs on the back side.  I would normally use a block - even to the point of gluing it on - as I may do for the scuppers that  will be drilled through the waterway from the inside - but for these port holes through the outer planking I was not concerned because there will be inboard planking concealing it.  I did drill through the inboard planking from the outside through the outer holes, starting with double thickness inboard plank clamped in place, then after drilling removed it and ripped off the inner face on the circular saw to give a clean surface.  I will show a picture of the inside on the next post.

Cheers,

Ed

Thanks for the clarification Ed,

starting with double thickness inboard plank clamped in place, then after drilling removed it and ripped off the inner face on the circular saw to give a clean surface.

I have used the same technique for other applications.

Michael

Es, which kind of timber do you use for the planking?

I can only second the comments the other users give, absolut mervelous build.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Christian, I am using hard maple for the planking that will be painted.  I would not use it for unpainted surfaces because of the grain color variation, but it is hard, can be sanded very smooth and bends well.  It is also less expensive, but I have many small pieces leftover from other woodworking projects, so it was an easy decision.

Ed