Alfa Romeo Spider Touring Gran Sport by CDW - Pocher - 1:8 Scale

This Pocher Alfa Romeo Touring Gran Sport was an estate sale find. The engine and transmission was started while most everything else remains sealed in the original bags. Purchasing a kit like this is somewhat risky as there could be parts missing, but as best I could tell, basically everything is there. If anything is missing, it's likely to be small nuts, bolts or washers. It came at a good price as these kits continue to increase in value every time I look at them, year after year. I intend to build this kit but it will be done slowly, deliberately, as and when I feel like it. Not going to rush it and may choose to interrupt progress along the way while other smaller projects are taken on.

I welcome you to join this adventure and please provide input, particularly if you have built one of these yourself.

IMG_5412.jpg

IMG_5413.jpg

IMG_5414.jpg

IMG_5415.jpg

Great to see another of these fantastic models being built. I’m sure that you are aware of some of the fit “issues” with these. If you haven’t already come across him, Paul Koo has produced an excellent set of supplementary instructions that address all of these, along with hundreds of photographs to accompany the “how to” aspects. He also sells replacement parts at very reasonable prices - whatever you are missing, the chances are that Paul will have them. Here’s a link to his eBay store:

https://www.ebay.com/str/pocher-philes-forum

You can also contact him directly. He is very helpful and easy to deal with. I could not have completed my own version of this kit without Paul’s instructions and replacement parts.

Model Motorcars (https://www.modelmotorcars.com/useful-info/favorite-links/) is another great source for “upgraded” parts, but beware - they are not inexpensive, and they are addictive!

I look forward to following along with your build.

4 minutes ago, gjdale said:

Great to see another of these fantastic models being built. I’m sure that you are aware of some of the fit “issues” with these. If you haven’t already come across him, Paul Koo has produced an excellent set of supplementary instructions that address all of these, along with hundreds of photographs to accompany the “how to” aspects. He also sells replacement parts at very reasonable prices - whatever you are missing, the chances are that Paul will have them. Here’s a link to his eBay store:

https://www.ebay.com/str/pocher-philes-forum

You can also contact him directly. He is very helpful and easy to deal with. I could not have completed my own version of this kit without Paul’s instructions and replacement parts.

Model Motorcars (https://www.modelmotorcars.com/useful-info/favorite-links/) is another great source for “upgraded” parts, but beware - they are not inexpensive, and they are addictive!

Thanks for the input Grant. I am not aware of the fit issues but will begin by looking up Paul Koo on Ebay. Very interested in the instructions with photos.

Regards

Craig

14 minutes ago, CDW said:

Very interested in the instructions with photos.

Good idea Brother, stock Pocher instructions can be so cryptic they are indecipherable.... Especially on their early kits...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

52 minutes ago, CDW said:

Very interested in the instructions with photos.

The kit instructions are little more than a series of exploded view diagrams. Paul Koo’s instructions take you step by step in a logical sequence and also explain how to do things, as well as giving you a heads-up around some fit issues and how to resolve them. He sells a series of instructional CDs for all of the Pocher kits and the CD contains the written instructions, hundreds of instructional photos of the kit being built, and a stack of reference photos of the real cars. They are a very worthwhile investment.

PS There’s a link in my signature block to my build of this kit. You may find that helpful too.

Edited by gjdale

Always wanted to build one, so I'll tag along for this ride.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Yep, going thru withdrawals.... Again....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Oh wow such a great car, congratulations on the purchase, especially if you got a bit of a deal as these go over $1000CAD easily

This enters into a bit of a large scale model car obsession area of mine….

I have, ahem, a few cars at this scale and make of kit. Some parts messes, some full kits, one partly started and two finished but needing refurbishing

This was my last 1/8 car purchased a couple Christmases ago…a bargain for a weathered old beauty

IMG_6042.thumb.jpeg.df2437c9ff39058e8d467703e425c967.jpeg

and then there are a few others😉😊

Monza

IMG_3252.thumb.jpeg.ffd1df3db02258fc82d983accc69691b.jpeg

Bugatti

IMG_3251.thumb.jpeg.9d2662a0d95e2e9324beac2497cecc0b.jpeg

Testarossa

IMG_1369.thumb.jpeg.f59c1f738d583241a0553aaa374cddee.jpeg

F40

IMG_2456.thumb.jpeg.f9cb8b4d089be57fab2df3be0ff92980.jpeg

Non Pocher 1/8 cars: A few Jag E Types and a Corvette Stingray round out the 1/8 scale stuff

IMG_7402.thumb.jpeg.17249cc766abd6dcff4805a350c26a14.jpeg

IMG_4010.jpeg.80c998809e93734079051c97a90d8ac8.jpeg

IMG_6572.thumb.jpeg.9c640104fbac51941bd837a3abf7eccf.jpeg

Yes, I am actually  insane. But hard to turn down a bargain when it presents itself.

I got these all before prices zoomed skywards. Would love a Pocher Mercedes and the Porsche911, but the prices are not appropriate anymore.

Ya, so that’s me

Scott 

Current Build:
1/72 Zvezda The Black Pearl 

9 minutes ago, Twokidsnosleep said:

Oh wow such a great car, congratulations on the purchase, especially if you got a bit of a deal as these go over $1000CAD easily

This enters into a bit of a large scale model car obsession area of mine….

I have, ahem, a few cars at this scale and make of kit. Some parts messes, some full kits, one partly started and two finished but needing refurbishing

This was my last 1/8 car purchased a couple Christmases ago…a bargain for a weathered old beauty

IMG_6042.thumb.jpeg.df2437c9ff39058e8d467703e425c967.jpeg

and then there are a few others😉😊

Monza

IMG_3252.thumb.jpeg.ffd1df3db02258fc82d983accc69691b.jpeg

Bugatti

IMG_3251.thumb.jpeg.9d2662a0d95e2e9324beac2497cecc0b.jpeg

Testarossa

IMG_1369.thumb.jpeg.f59c1f738d583241a0553aaa374cddee.jpeg

F40

IMG_2456.thumb.jpeg.f9cb8b4d089be57fab2df3be0ff92980.jpeg

Non Pocher 1/8 cars: A few Jag E Types and a Corvette Stingray round out the 1/8 scale stuff

IMG_7402.thumb.jpeg.17249cc766abd6dcff4805a350c26a14.jpeg

IMG_4010.jpeg.80c998809e93734079051c97a90d8ac8.jpeg

IMG_6572.thumb.jpeg.9c640104fbac51941bd837a3abf7eccf.jpeg

Yes, I am actually  insane. But hard to turn down a bargain when it presents itself.

I got these all before prices zoomed skywards. Would love a Pocher Mercedes and the Porsche911, but the prices are not appropriate anymore.

Ya, so that’s me

Great collection! Love them all, particularly the Bugatti. Maybe the finest looking car ever made, in one man's opinion. The XKE is excellent too.

What a cool video. Man, that is one lucky dude right there, old Jay Leno. He's like a kid in a candy store with all those cars of his. That Alfa Romeo sounds just awesome! Next spare $500K I get, will have to seriously think about ordering one. 😄 Those tires though....look a little bit on the skinny side but hey, they are scale. Amazing how well Pocher captures all the look of the real car.

11 minutes ago, CDW said:

I was torn between this version and the version Jay Leno drives. Maybe I will buy that model too once I finish this one.

You may have to track down a 1:8 scale Jay to go with it…. 😜

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

On 5/19/2023 at 5:23 PM, gjdale said:

Which of Model Motorcars upgraded parts did you find most valuable/helpful? Right off from the start, the upgraded front axle/steering parts look interesting. The steering wheels also. But wow, $125 for one of those seems quite a steep price. It’s half what I paid for the entire kit.

Edited by CDW

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Which of Model Motorcars upgraded parts did you find most valuable/helpful? Right off from the start, the upgraded front axle/steering parts look interesting. The steering wheels also. But wow, $125 for one of those seems quite a steep price. It’s half what I paid for the entire kit.

I think the front axle is a must. The nice wooden steering wheel can be purchased later on....

Yves

I didn’t buy the front axle - I don’t think it’s necessary. I did buy the steering wheel - expensive, but sooooo nice! I also bought a number of the low cost items like spark plug boots and ignition wires. Also the decal set (well worth it).  None of them are essential, it’s up to what you think will improve the appearance of your model versus how much you are prepared to spend. It’s easy to get carried away!

19 minutes ago, gjdale said:

I didn’t buy the front axle - I don’t think it’s necessary. I did buy the steering wheel - expensive, but sooooo nice! I also bought a number of the low cost items like spark plug boots and ignition wires. Also the decal set (well worth it).  None of them are essential, it’s up to what you think will improve the appearance of your model versus how much you are prepared to spend. It’s easy to get carried away!

Yes indeed, the decals, spark plug boots will definitely be on the menu for me. I'm going to take a hard look at that steering wheel to see what I can come up with myself, first. It is a very prominent part of the car that will be seen,  

• 2 weeks later...

I was so inspired from watching Grant build his beautiful Alfa Romeo that I found a good deal on one and bought it but, alas, it still sits temptingly on a shelf in the den. I look forward to following your build now too. Good luck!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 5 weeks later...

When I received my kit, the previous owner had started the engine and transmission. The subassemblies and other loose parts were inside a sealed baggie. I’m going to start by disassembling what was started then looking to see what pieces may be damaged or missing. Will follow Paul Koi’s guide when reassembling and upgrade pieces where it seems worthwhile.

IMG_5543.jpeg

IMG_5542.jpeg

IMG_5541.jpeg

I've always wanted to buy one of these kits..........but the closest I can come are two of the Monogram kits {1:16}.  nice to see another log of these great models :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I sure am glad that the former owner only started the engine and transmission. It is a mess to say the least. Connecting rods facing in wrong positions; cylinder sleeves upside down in several places; none of the parts were properly prepared before assembling. This is a rescue project in the pure sense of the word.

Because of the glue, the crank shaft was cracked in several places where I had to separate the journals in order to release the connecting rods and place them facing in the correct direction. I carefully sanded, shaped and glued the broken pieces back together. I'm not too worried about the repaired pieces as all are internal and will not be seen once the engine is painted and reassembled. I have lots of cleanup and careful fitting to do before putting any of it back together.

IMG_5544.jpeg

IMG_5545.jpeg

IMG_5546.jpeg

IMG_5547.jpeg

Edited by CDW

Building this kit up will probably be a once in a lifetime affair for me as it's not practical to envision doing another of the same kit. Because of this I want to add upgraded parts where it seems they provide a significant level of detail to help the finished model look like the real thing. It gets pricey though. Here is what I intend to add to the engine assembly at this time:

Nickel plated acorn nuts for the cam covers:

Nuts - Acorn - Nickel Plated Brass 1.0 mm - A007n – Model Motorcars (model-motorcars.myshopify.com)

Upgraded water pipes, hose, and hose clamps:

Alfa Water Pipes - A024 – Model Motorcars (model-motorcars.myshopify.com)

Distributor linkage kit:

Distributor Linkage Kit - A005 – Model Motorcars (model-motorcars.myshopify.com)

Spark plugs

Spark Plugs - Z008 – Model Motorcars (model-motorcars.myshopify.com)

ignition wire

Ignition Wire - Z038 – Model Motorcars (model-motorcars.myshopify.com)

Plug wire boots

Boots - Z039 – Model Motorcars (model-motorcars.myshopify.com)

In addition to the above parts, I may add some 3D printed resin parts as well depending on price and availability (waiting on word back from Paul Koo)

All through the building of this kit, there are a large number of upgrade options to consider. All will require time and money to go that route but in some cases it seems worth it. I don't intend to rush to finish this kit, just going to do it one sub-assembly at a time.

Great start Craig.  I have a couple of these in the stash - you're right that you can really pimp these old Pocher kits with sweet aftermarket, but at a very steep cost.  Looking forward to seeing this come along.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Once you start down the road of building one of these kits, you quickly realize that nothing fits without massaging the parts. And I literally mean, nothing fits. It's not a complaint, just a warning to anyone who decides to undertake a project like this. Consider it a challenge, even for the most experienced of modelers. No wonder there are so many partially started kits out there for sale. In the case of my particular kit, it's easy to see that the previous owner who started this one was not an experienced modeler. Lucky for me that all that was started was the engine. Some of the parts are close to being ruined but I believe I can save them with a little elbow grease and determination (and patience).

@gjdale Thanks a ton for recommending that assembly disk from Paul Koo. It's invaluable. I still haven't figured out the numbering system for identifying the kit parts. Maybe it's part of the information covered in the DVD and I just have not found it yet. 

46 minutes ago, CDW said:

Thanks a ton for recommending that assembly disk from Paul Koo. It's invaluable.

Absolutely! A must have guide for anytime you take a trip into Pocher land...

Quote:

3 hours ago, CDW said:

I still haven't figured out the numbering system for identifying the kit parts. Maybe it's part of the information covered in the DVD and I just have not found it yet. 

There is definitely some logic to it. Without going back and poring over it again, I’m pretty sure that Paul Koo covers this in his written instructions. If I recall correctly (and that’s no guarantee!!!), he talks about it in the introductory part.

However, as my wife will tell you, these days I am far more often certain than I am right!

While waiting for a few custom engine parts from Scale Motorcars to arrive, I have cleaned up the engine parts and given them some paint. Generally, I want to follow Lars Wahlstrom's build of the Alfa Romeo Spider engine colors. Looking through internet references, I see modelers have interpreted the colors in many various and good-looking ways, but I particularly like the looks of Lar's engine. 

32 Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Spider Touring_en (prontomarketing.com)

DSCN3360.JPG

DSCN3361.JPG

DSCN3362.JPG

DSCN3363.JPG

DSCN3364.JPG

DSCN3365.JPG