Banshee II by Glen McGuire - FINISHED - 1/700 - BOTTLE

Excellent progress on the base, Glen.  I particularly like the front row of pilings, those sticks really look fantastic!

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Thanks for the clear explanation. 

Even if the waves/ripples wouldn't hide creep up, for sure they'll merge the front pilings with the water surface. 

A very sharp result and good reference for future projects. 

Bravo Glen, those front piles look so authentic and scale correct.  Looking good mate.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Posted (edited)

Dang Olympics have been distracting me from finishing this build.  I can't seem to pull myself away from the TV even if it's the most obscure sport.  A couple of hours watching mixed doubles ping pong?  Are you kidding me?

Summoning great will power, I finally managed to stop my binge-watching and get some work done on the water.  With the pilings in place, the next step was adding some texture to the water.  I started by applying a layer of Woodland Scenics Water Ripples to the smooth base of epoxy resin. 

20240806_074344.thumb.jpg.e8a8151b02639ba828103ef8b38c2b19.jpg

The product is clear and goes on with some nice ripples/small waves.  While drying, however, it settles itself down and smooths out much of the original texture.  In this case, a little too much for what I wanted.  So for the next step, I did two things.  The water was just a little bit too clear and too blue (we are talking about the Galveston Bay, right?).  So I thinned out a very light gray wash and spread it over the surface.  Then I added a different Woodland Scenics product called Water Waves, which is thicker and holds its shape much better than the Ripples product.

In the pic below, you can see on the right side how much the Ripples product settled and smoothed itself out.  You can also see the slight clouding effects of the light gray wash.  On the left side, you can see where I began applying the Water Waves product.20240806_211341.thumb.jpg.e0fbe0faa0dea9facfbea848770390dd.jpg

Here's the whole thing after application of the Water Waves product.

20240806_214657.thumb.jpg.01eb15e778b8f4bdaf78ed68949d960c.jpg

As a final touch, I added light brushes of white to some of the wave crests to give the water just a bit of action.

20240807_071219.thumb.jpg.d634db110fa949d618e822788e390e22.jpg  

Next step is adding the deck planks for the wharf.  The finish line is in sight!

Edited by Glen McGuire

A Gold Metal performance my freind. 

:cheers:         Bob M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:         The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA  Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar  The King Of the Mississippi  Artesania Latina  1:80 

Current Build: Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models :)

That's a great water effect, Glen, and I think that added white really brought it to life.  Just the right amount of surface agitation.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

10 minutes ago, Ian_Grant said:

Looks great Glen!  So you just apply those products (with a brush? a popsicle stick?) and they blob up of their own accord? Or do you need to do some rough sculpting on application?

Thanks, Ian.  I dab it on with a stiff-bristled paint brush that's about 1cm in width (the stiffer the bristles, the better it seems to work).  I'll dab it sideways (parallel with the rows of pilings) to create ripples and some small rolling waves.  With the thicker Water Waves product, it does not take much shaping beyond the dabbing to get some nice light ripple/wave action.  If I do want to create some larger waves, I'll use a small plastic spatula.  A popsicle stick would work just as well.  If I get some areas that look too smooth or glassy, I'll take a small brush and rough it up a bit with some light dibbing.  The Woodland Scenics products work really well.  

2 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Just the right amount of surface agitation.

51 minutes ago, Thukydides said:

Looking really good, water is hard to do right.

Thanks, Gary and Thukydides.  I appreciate y'all saying that.  Knowing when to stop is the thing I struggle with the most.  I add a little bit, back off and look, add a bit more, back off and look, etc...  And then I force myself to stop before I really want to. 

Great work Glen! Thanks for explaining each step. You definitely have have the artistic skill.

Current builds:
Chesapeake double kayak

Back on the shelf: 

Gretel - Mamoli

Nonsuch 30 - 1:24 - Model Shipway

Completed builds:

Sea of Galilee boat

Lowell Grand Banks dory

Norwegian sailing pram

Muscongus bay lobster smack

Peterboro Canoe- Midwest

Captain John Smith’s shallop - Pavel Nikitin

Glen, when it comes time to float my pile driver would you please come fill my pool? :)

That's some nice looking water. 

Current Builds: 1880s Floating Steam Donkey Pile Driver 

Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee

Decorative Carrack Warship Restoration, the Amelia

Completed: Early Swift 1805 Model Restoration

Mr McGuire that's a brilliant piece of water. Great call on the grey wash between the layers! 

Posted (edited)

Thank you @Knocklouder, @Ian_Grant, @Keith Black, @FriedClams, @Thukydides, @Bryan Woods, @Javelin for the comments on the water effects.  It's definitely a challenge for me and one that I'm trying to improve on with each effort.

Now for some planking!  Except it's waaaaay easier than the planking that all you real ship model builders face.  This is just completing the wharf with deck planks.  I had already colored and weathered them earlier, so now it was just a matter affixing them to the pilings and support beams.  As a reminder, here's the wharf idea I'm trying to suggest with the base.  The painting depicts the Galveston, Texas waterfront of the mid 1800's.

Waterfront2.png.f0899a829ee0f270f6bbc3886af6ec21.png

Here's some pics showing the stages of my planking efforts.

20240808_141434.thumb.jpg.3b1e5ec12e7ee70ce2f2cc23b0f3ae2e.jpg

20240808_171315.thumb.jpg.9670567dd85a2c63ca0ce09b6f75552e.jpg

20240808_173005.thumb.jpg.d6642b6e545eb457003e08b7ba375444.jpg

20240808_195734.thumb.jpg.9bcfd5c04c3889354ec03433c1b5b697.jpg

20240809_155657.thumb.jpg.4bfc5a62b8aa6097a303e0f6133be62d.jpg

Next, I added a layer of veneer on the front panel of the base using poached plank strips from my USS Constellation kit.  

20240809_155646.thumb.jpg.0d62a5ede9b48d183872d47e470559f8.jpg

Edited by Glen McGuire

That's so nice, Glen. The overall affect is very peaceful and relaxing. 

That's looking great Glen, and you have created a great little stage for those pesky penguins to perform on ;)  Seriously, I very much like the combination of the Texas backdrop and the wharf, a unique and very effective concept.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

50 minutes ago, BANYAN said:

and you have created a great little stage for those pesky penguins to perform on ;) 

You just had to go there, didn't you Pat!!

20240809_202332.thumb.jpg.38c560f86e4d773ac6d60553e2360a13.jpg

27 minutes ago, Ian_Grant said:

Oh, it's Texas!  I hadn't twigged the shape. Now I see. Very creative Glen!

Yes @Ian_Grant it eazy to mistake the back drop withall those Canadian  Penguins  blocking the veiw. ;) 

Well done my freind  :cheers:

Bob M.

G P

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:         The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA  Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar  The King Of the Mississippi  Artesania Latina  1:80 

Current Build: Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models :)

21 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

Oh, it's Texas!  I hadn't twigged the shape.

"Twigged the shape"??  WTH does that mean?  I thought y'all talked normal up there, but I guess I gotta go get me a book on how to speak Canadian as well as 'strine!  😃

6 minutes ago, Glen McGuire said:

WTH does that mean?

I had to look it up, Glen. The world has passed us by. :)

https://www.quora.com/What-does-it-mean-to-not-twig-or-to-twig-something-Where-and-how-did-this-word-originate

3 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

"Twigged the shape"??  WTH does that mean?  I thought y'all talked normal up there, but I guess I gotta go get me a book on how to speak Canadian as well as 'strine!  😃

It's more a British-ism, many of which I picked up from my parents (remember the Scots slang words from an earlier post in some log or other?). 😉

8 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Oh, the many uses of 1-2-3 blocks.

Amen to that, Gary!  With those blocks, old pieces of railroad track, and duct tape, I can pretty much do anything!!

Another SIB adventure comes to a close here on MSW.  I put the finishing touches on the Banshee II project last night and it’s ready for the shelf.  I want to give a personal thanks to everyone that took part in this journey.    

@Keith Black, @Knocklouder@BANYAN, @Javelin, @Ian_Grant, @Canute, @gjdale, @FriedClams, @Landlubber Mike, @KeithAug, @GrandpaPhil, @Thukydides, @PvG Aussie, @gsdpic, @JacquesCousteau, @Paul Le Wol, @ccoyle, @Harvey Golden, @mtaylor, @CDR_Ret, @John Fox III, @Roger Pellett, @berhard, @Rick310, @Desertanimal, @Ryland Craze, @rookie, @rwiederrich, @Dave boatswain, @cotrecerf, @Charter33, @Snug Harbor Johnny, @Dan Poirier, @Charles Roseberry, @JEFFRAV, @downeaster.

Whether you popped in every now and then or managed to endure each step along the way, I am very appreciative of your support, comments, and suggestions.  You make everything I try to do so much better and I can never say thank you enough. 

Also, because of y’all, this was the most interesting and entertaining build log I can remember.  Along the way, you gave me a number of great recommendations which helped tremendously – ship plans/drawings from Grandpa Phil, Bare Metal foil and painting tips from Landlubber Mike, Funnel schematics from Pat (Banyan), and corrections to my cowlings from Rob (rwiederrich).  Y’all also provided fascinating discussions on a variety of subjects like fire ants, Venetian and Czech beads, Philly cheesesteaks, stropping 2mm deadeyes, and Norfolk Island just to name a few.  Furthermore, I was so very fortunate to receive free language lessons where I learned what an egg nishner is and how to talk some strine, as well as Keith Black adding a couple more B words to my cow's forbidden vocabulary.  And finally, there’s Knocklouder who kept me laughing the whole time with his comments like the one about “whack a mole”.  Bob, you are one of a kind!

On to the final reveal.  Here's the original concept drawing and how the completed project turned out.

Concept.thumb.png.dc96f29608208d648d6f53f0a0dbf131.png

Gallery1.thumb.jpg.47f31d1e140cbd55d72c1ad49f55d10b.jpg

Gallery3.thumb.jpg.8e4af0a296ae610dabf4ac8fa8986c10.jpg

Gallery7.thumb.jpg.6a3e0afe2c938934995e043cae126a25.jpg

Gallery8.thumb.jpg.d22ff8c2f6792ce8c5c609ebff4aa667.jpg

Gallery9.thumb.jpg.0c88161e7fd000385aab5b13e4f2d4bb.jpg

Gallery11.thumb.jpg.d40c638a2806a6cbd705bd400c691cd9.jpg

Gallery15.thumb.jpg.1088a30809b0e2ead0cc6f7124027384.jpg

• The title was changed to Banshee II by Glen McGuire - Finished - 1/700 - BOTTLE

Wonderful job and very nice display....she has a great home.

Again...super job.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."