Licorne by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - POF - TERMINATED LOG

Because of the bow flare, the plank does have to be spilled to sit properly. As it twists, it will widen considerably in order to keep the planking run looking 'sweet'.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

If it's any comfort, I know what you're talking about.  (Still takes me a second to remember your photos are 'upside down').  Confed has a similar, but much less pronounced, outward flare in the same area of the fo'csle.  But because it's much less pronounced, it is handled by letting the planks follow the lower run and then sanding the top curve to gently blend in to the sheer line. I also spiled it slightly.  I think this is where you are at now.  I remember thinking that, if my situation were any more pronounced (like yours is) it would be a hell of a problem.  And I had the added advantage in that I knew that from the point at which the flare began I'd be painting upward to the rail so some 'creative sanding' blended everything together.

That said, I really like Hahn's solution with the wider plank.

Good luck Mark.  I know you'll figure it out.

Edited by Augie

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Ebony is beautiful, but very difficult to work with....good luck with it Mark...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Thanks one and all....  I'm still thinking something similar to a stealer method since it shouldn't be just one very wide plank.  Druxey, you're right though.  And no matter how I look at it, I'll have to spile at least one plank. It might even take 3 planks forward to cover that flair area.

I'm still testing, filing, and mentally working on the final solution.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking forward to seeing the fix Mark, I am sure it will be something I will want to remember for for future builds, so don't leave me hanging too long :P

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Sam,

Wiping, I think, would be preferred.  The piece I soaked still has the acetone smell is now out in the garage. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great looking build.  I'll keep watching with interest.  I'm still mystified by scratch builds.

- Bug

Sam,

It's still straight.  :) Once there's no smell, I'll try using it on something.

Bug,

It's big mystery to me also. :D  :D

Meanwhile, back in the shipyard.....

I think, hope, pray, that I've hit on the final solution to the exterior forecastle bulwarks.  After realizing that doing the same thing over and over again again expecting different results is insanity, I went for something just a little bit different.  A combination of spiling and stealers!  No, wait... I was doing that.  :(

Change the wood.. YES!!! Change the dimensions of the wood... YES!!!

Went from plum which I wasn't plum crazy about anyway to cherry.  Change the dimensions from 4" X 9" to 2" X 12".  The wood is more flexible and less grainy than the plum and a nicer color.

After playing with some designs and feeding the scrap box, there's now one main strake that runs the 30 feet of bulwark.  And two stealers to help make the transition in the flair.   The next set pics (in the next several days) will show it fitted and glued in place and hopefully sanded.    By the way, try to ignore the pencil marks.... Oh...I guess I better make the one for the other side while this is still fresh.

post-76-0-81131300-1389679444_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Good solution - can't wait to see it in place.

- Bug

I have to learn to stop re-inventing the wheel.  There was reason why Hahn did it the way he did it.  I've scrapped out all previous methods and did his way.

First, I spiled a piece of cherry (2 feet wide X 4 inches thick).

post-76-0-84983100-1390157023_thumb.jpg

Then made Mr. Clamp to get the curve.

post-76-0-90107700-1390157045_thumb.jpg

I soaked the wood for about 12 hours and clamped into place.  I ended up with all the curves and bends in the right places.

I can live with this.

post-76-0-83374200-1390157042_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-84617900-1390157044_thumb.jpg

Now to go glue them in place and get the ebony trim fitted and fixed into place.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Done... on the port side at least. I'll finish up the starboard side and then attack the quarterdeck outer bulwarks.  Thank heavens they're not as radically shaped.  I do, however, really hate macro as I see some things that need fixing before final sanding, like a few gaps in the planking.

post-76-0-93840200-1390193731_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-63894600-1390193733_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

That was a crazy bend.  Well done.  Oh and what gaps are you talking about my untrained eye didn't see any.   :P   Great work Mark.  

Thanks John and Daniel and those who "liked".

Daniel,

Trust me.. they are there.  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Marc

Looking your topic I say to myself

• Watch and learn
  • And the watch and learn again

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Marc

Looking your topic I say to myself

• Watch and learn
  • And the watch and learn again

That makes two of us.  I'm learning as I go.  I just wish learning wasn't so hard at times.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Great result Mark. See, I just knew that you'd come up with an inspirational solution! :D

Gaps? What gaps? I see nothing! (To quote SGT Schulz......if you remember that show......)

Nothing wrong with improving the tires Mark.  Just leave the wheel alone :D

Really nice work.  Thanks for sharing the problem, thought process and solution with all of us.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Gaps?!? You are seeing things my friend! Nice fix, and glad it all worked out for you...nasty bend, but the result is what counts!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

I have to learn to stop re-inventing the wheel.  There was reason why Hahn did it the way he did it.  I've scrapped out all previous methods and did his way.

Isn't that always the way...   You look at something and wonder why it was done that way, then when you try and do it yourself you find out exactly why.

Nice result.

Colin

--

Current Builds: HMS Pandora 1/64 Scratch

Jeannie Johnston;

18thC Longboat with my son

Previous Builds: HMB Bounty - Caldercraft

Running Round my head: HMS Speedy (1782) - vaguely thinking POF

"If at first you don't succeed, try it your wifes' way"

Pedrsistence pays off :) -that is is serious shaping Mark with excellent results.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks for the kind words everyone and the "likes". I finished the starboard side and it looks good to my eyes also.  And more importantly, both sides match when looking straight on.  :)

Great result Mark. See, I just knew that you'd come up with an inspirational solution! :D

Gaps? What gaps? I see nothing! (To quote SGT Schulz......if you remember that show......)

Thanks Grant, err...  Sgt. Schultz.  I've come to the conclusion that we are our own worst enemies as well as critics. 

Nothing wrong with improving the tires Mark.  Just leave the wheel alone :D

Really nice work.  Thanks for sharing the problem, thought process and solution with all of us.

Thanks for that Augie.  I'm not going to guarantee it's right but I did what seemed to work.  The shipyard is sometimes a lonely place.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Grant, err...  Sgt. Schultz.  I've come to the conclusion that we are our own worst enemies as well as critics. 

That's a great fix Mark, you've had some difficult angles there and you've found the right solution, sometimes it works in our favour to be our worst enemies and critics.

She's coming along nicely mate, keep it up.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I took a picture just check everything...  things need trimming up front and some cleanup but there's no rush until I get the beakhead deck and bulkhead installed in the future and get test for fit, etc. 

Oh..looks like it needs more sanding.. I think the expression is "pfffffff". :P

post-76-0-62734000-1390285373_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Oh..looks like it needs more sanding.. I think the expression is "pfffffff". :P

Never enough sanding. Always seem to have it little more with little higher granulation of sandpaper ... 

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

looking sharp Mark.......but you might want to check that rail at the starboard bow.......looks like it crept up a little on ya.   I can't wait to see the hull completely planks.........she's gonna look sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch