Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Happy birthday, Mark.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I think we had this conversation last year about us being a day apart, only don't remember the year - mine was '49

Hope you had as good of one as I had...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Mark: there is a fairing issue at the stern here (perhaps I'm coming in on this conversation a little late). The curve should be nicely radiused, without any sudden turn. I've attached two examples here: one is a full-bodied ship, the other lean and mean.

Hope this is of some help.

post-635-0-33406000-1436045176_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-24488300-1436045220_thumb.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks for the wishes, my friends.

Druxey, there is indeed a fairing issue.  I've studying this and it looks like the low transom piece is the culprit.  Giampiero pointed this out also.  I've been scratching my head, double checking the plans.  The only way to fix this is to rip off the last three (maybe four) strakes at that stern and re-fair.    I was hoping to avoid that, but...  what needs to be done, needs to be done.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark,

I've been following quietly along for a while and trying to catch up on all the history of your build.

Seems like today is the ideal day to say that your Licorne looks absolutely fabulous and that I especially admire your determination to do whatever it takes.  :)

Happy Birthday!

:cheers:

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Happy Birthday Mark....... Hope it was a good one!.......... you'll be a lot happier redoing those strakes :)

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

To quote Shakespeare's King Henry V: "Once more unto the breach, dear friends,"

Or maybe Daniel (Dafi):   "Mass Destruction!!!! hihihihi!!!!"

Bottom photo is the mod to be made... I need to arc more.   Planks are stripped, power sander and sanding sticks at the ready... 

post-76-0-96794000-1436050185_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-78919800-1436050221_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ugh! I prescribe an ice cold adult beverage of choice, a comfortable chair and birthday cake while enjoying a fireworks display.

Each revision brings a better result, kindly sir. Your work is amazing!

Back to quiet lurking, I remain,

Your ob't servant,

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Sorry you had to undo and redo Mark, but it's your B-Day and I'm with Wayne on this one. Pull up a frosty and an easy-chair and enjoy the day.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

A somewhat late birthday wish, Mark. And I hope the work you do now will preclude a Version 3.

Slainte, birthday boy!

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

I'm going to avoid Version 3.0 at all costs.  I'm comfortable with ripping things apart and putting them back together.  

As a footnote, I'll probably open a sub-log like Danny did for the ship's boats but not until the first one is nearly done.  I want to try to use Chuck's method but at 1:64.  There's three boats, the longboat, the cutter, and the barge.  Keel's are 1/16" thick cherry, frames are 1/32" cherry, and the planking is 1/32" holly.  I hope I can pull those off.   It'll be a bit as I'm making the drawings (as well as for what I need for the main build) and testing on the laser cutter.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I agree with Wayne and George - pull up a frosty one and celebrate your birthday - you're still three hours behind us here in the east lots of time left to celebrate

post-13502-0-06345100-1436060353.gif

Lessons learned at this point on framing, fairing, and planking....

I guess I should say that it's not that I lacked the courage but more of the knowledge of deciphering the plans, supplementing them with the correct information and translating it all in my head to a course of action.  And then I got side-tracked...  anyway, after working through the side-track for the last 30 days, I'm re-focused and back on course.  Solution.. try not to get side-tracked by new toys... think further ahead.. instead of 10 steps or 20 steps... look 100 steps.

The problem stems from not fairing the aft frames as far as the Hahn frame drawing show and the lack of knowledge on my part in setting up the transom timbers.   I guess I should have done a better documented ship first....

Same goes for the garboard strake.. I wasn't thinking that far ahead when I did the rabbet.  I've been working through the problem and have a better result which should show when I put that strake in.  Seems I didn't get the bevel quite where it should be in the aft section.  

Next update will be after I get everything re-faired and sorted out and the now four strakes of wide planks replaced...  If you hear foul language from the west coast, ignore it.. it's just me sorting out things and venting to myself.    But it will be fun.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Sounds like you've got the thought process in place.  Your honest narrative gives all of us a reminder of how what we do today can impact a year down the road.  Your strength is that you forge ahead with the required modifications rather than simply 'make do'.

Fine work, mate.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Mark: if you have been working from Hahn's drawings, the problem lies with his drafting, not your construction accuracy. I've noticed this issue with other Hahn models and ones built from his plans. Cold comfort for you, but....

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

It's indeed cold comfort, Druxey.   I should have paid more attention when I was planning this build but I plead ignorance.   I've stumbled upon several issues already and this is just one more.  But... it's wood, it can be fixed.  Time to go make some more sawdust..... and a template or two for symmetry.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Being the conservative builder that I am especially when it comes to major changes, I've done some serious reshaping of the transoms.  I think I'm close but I'd like some other opinions.  I've blue taped down some thin battens.  If it looks good, I'll start bending the real wood and planking.  The ends of the existing planking are not a problem.  I have some fashtion pieces that cover the counter timber ends and the hull planking timber ends.

post-76-0-49283600-1436146946_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-63786000-1436146953_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-07566200-1436146963_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Much, much improved, certainly, Mark. Perhaps even a tad more, if there is enough wood remaining to do so. You'll be glad you did this, and you'll find reinstalling the planking will be much easier.

Thanks Druxey.   Will do some more.  Getting a bit thin but I pack from the other side if need be.   And it's looking a whole lot better in the testing.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

On the road again ... Mark, you said it yourself, since it's still reachable, you can add some thickness when you are taking off more than you like ... still looking solid

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

It's all doable and it's all good... ;)    And to be very blunt, if it weren't for MSW, I would never, ever tried scratchbuilding.  The help and encouragement is priceless. So a big thank you to everyone.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark -

Yes, much much improved.  You can't go far wrong if you follow Druxey's suggestions.  Your progress up the learning curve is well underway and you are going to be very happy that you took the step back before you took the next step forward.

And a belated Happy Birthday.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein