Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

That's a beautiful hull Mike, even in her rough form. Can't wait to see her filled and sanded and ready for prime time.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Yowzah!  Congratulations on a job well done. A major milestone!

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Way to go, Mark!!!!!!!

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Nice planking Mark.  Also like the new stern coat of arms .  Is that going to be further carved into a bas-relief or left as is?  In either case it came out very well.

Mark,

Now I know why my feelings are saying that I have to go to MSW......

To see a milestone !!!!!!!

The Licorne is closed  :D  :D  :D

Well done !!!!

Sjors

Wow... thanks of the "likes" and the comments.  I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all. 

I'm feeling pretty good now that I've started sanding and scraping.   I'm about 95% happy with it as is after the initial pass and hope to 100% happy by the time I'm done.  I'm using a combination of thumbplanes, scrapers, and assorted sanding devices such sandpaper glued to flexible plastic sheeting,  disposable fingernail files, and fingernail foam sanding blocks. I use a beauty supply house as they're cheaper and pick up points from the Admiral by offering to pick stuff up for her while them there. ;)  :D

Gap filling is simply wiping on some poly after sanding, let it set and sand again.  The wood dust gets trapped and held by the poly in the gaps.  Works surprising well and doesn't leave the spots like glue and dust.

Rough sanding is almost done using 220 grit paper (or equivalent) and then I'll finish sand.  I'm finish sanding from the caprails (or at least where they will be) down to the keel.   I'll use wipe on poly and realize that I'll have to scrape some off when I glue on the various bits and pieces on the outside of the hull.

Congratulations Mark, that's a serious milestone.

Regarding the duplicator, take a good look at the commercial ones and you're probably able to make one of your own. I did once a long time ago, but never really tested it, so I can't tell mine works. If al fails you may opt to procure a set of guns.

Remco

That's what I'm thinking, Remco.   I'll have to make one.  I have some ideas but I'll hold off until I'm about ready to make the guns.  I only want to have to take the lathe apart once during the project and it's overdue for cleanup and calibration.

Congrats Mark on a job well done B) It will not be overly long before you can release her from the building jig :)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel, it will be a lot longer than one thinks.   I want to have the exterior mostly finished and the interior done without the deck furniture on the quarter or fore decks.  I've studied Hahn's method and he makes sense to me to leave it on the jig as long as possible.  It prevents damage and makes handing and working on it easier. 

Nice planking Mark.  Also like the new stern coat of arms .  Is that going to be further carved into a bas-relief or left as is?  In either case it came out very well.

Jack, it's going to be bas-relief carved.  I'm happy that it came out as well as it did and it's better than my other attempts as I got less char this time around.  I think I'm finally getting the hang of the laser cutter.  It's also more in line with scale thickness. 

Mark,

Now I know why my feelings are saying that I have to go to MSW......

To see a milestone !!!!!!!

The Licorne is closed  :D  :D  :D

Well done !!!!

Sjors

Not closed Sjors... far from it.  But it's getting there.  :)

Back to sanding.....  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautifully done Mark, congrats.  Anxiously awaiting your stern deco carving.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Lost my internet for a few days, so I'm late to the party. It's looking really good Mark.

Bob

Pay de bill Bob.......that helps normally  :D  :D  :D

Sjors

Thanks again for the "likes" and comments.

Half an update.. I guess that's what I'll call it.    I sanded, scraped, filled gaps and put on one coat of wipe on poly on the starboard side.  There's a couple of dings I'll just have to live with.  Had a weird reaction with the sanding dust and wipe on poly thought during gap filling.  Some of the gaps (most) went black. I'm not sure why.  Then again, the planking all looked one color until the poly went on.  I'm still happy with it as the color variations give it something other than solid wall of wood color.

Now focusing on the port side.  Here's pics of the starboard side.

post-76-0-79832600-1450235205_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-79373700-1450235212_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-34637300-1450235219_thumb.jpg

And this last one is a "before" and "after" shot. 

post-76-0-45332400-1450235226_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree on the wipe-on giving the planks a nice color contrast. Much better than the same color over-all. Nice work Mark!  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

It's just superb Mark! Love the colours variations and on the last picture i can see where you were talking about 'needing sanding and gap filler'. After sanding it's just like a "bought one".

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Nice planking job Mark........ I like the color variation too..... looks great!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Wow, That is looking sharp Mark,  I like the contrast in the planking, It looks more like the real deal 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

It actually looks better in person, IMO.  The pics have picked up quite a bit of glare.  I have some 1600 steel wool that I'm testing some scrap and may just kill some the shine.  We'll see....The Admiral says "leave it alone"... Do I dare?  :rolleyes:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

It actually looks better in person, IMO. The pics have picked up quite a bit of glare. I have some 1600 steel wool that I'm testing some scrap and may just kill some the shine. We'll see....The Admiral says "leave it alone"... Do I dare? :rolleyes:

Hi Mark

At the risk of harming your personal safety, it wouldn't be wise to go against your Admiral's order. I reckon you'd be wise to obey!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Mark

At the risk of harming your personal safety, it wouldn't be wise to go against your Admiral's order. I reckon you'd be wise to obey!

Cheers

Patrick

I'm with Patrick! The admiral knows better! It's safer that way mate.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Sweet! And yup, stray from Admitalty instructions at your peril..................

Mark,

I don't know if you've written something about this. But I don't have any idea, wha do you do the whole work of a POF model (or a Hahn styled frameing) and plank both sides of the hull?

The planking job looks really nice

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Mark, the planking looks great. As far as using the steel wool, I would throw caution to the wind and do it. At worst, you can always put another coat of poly on and return it to this look. If you use the steel wool, use a soft cloth and buff after the steel wool. I've found that to leave a pleasant sheen to the finish.

Bob