Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Thanks for the "likes" and comments...

Although difficult to work with - it sure is beautiful looking wood.

-Bug

Pear is somewhat easier than boxwood, Bug.. but the ease with which it is ding is, to me, a problem.  Maybe a different style clamp might solve this. 

Nice work, Mark. If I was you, I'd be eagerly cutting the hull free from the base board...but then again, I'm sometimes not the most patient guy.

All the best to you and Janet for Christmas and the New Year. Happy health to Janet as well!

Cheers

Patrick

I want to, but I don't dare yet.  I want the stern, interior up to and including the gundeck and much of the quarter galleries done first.   Maddening, isn't it? ;)

Mark your ship is absolutely amazing. The hull is perfect. I can only dream of that type of skill.

Greg H.

Greg, I don't know what to say...  other than, just make up your mind to do one.  A couple kits, a cross-section.. and voila' you're there.  I don't have the skills most of the other scratch builders have but I'm learning.   Just don't be afraid to start over if things go pear-shaped.

9114089054_cae8ea7448_m.jpg

"Shiver me timbers, Mark !" That hull planking looks great. Will you leave the hull varnished like that, or paint it. I'm for leaving it as is.

montani semper liberi  Happy modeling

Crackers  ^_^:):D

As it is right now, Crackers.  Wipe-on-poly only.  No paint. No varnish.

Sweet looking Mark!  The pear wood may have given you some problems but the wipe-on poly sure looks nice.  Getting the hull planked, sanded, and finished is a really nice present to yourself this Christmas.  This should psych you up big time for what you want to do this coming year.  I want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas, and I hope 2016 is all you hope it will be.

Tom, I am indeed psyched.  Or maybe that's psycho? :P  

Well.. that's 10 mileposts down out of 35.  Now to go see what other kind of trouble I can get myself into on this build.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wunderbar Mark !

such a beautiful built hull, I know it`s a great moment taking it from the build board and turning it in your Hands, perfect view on the lines from all sides

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)

:10_1_10:  :10_1_10:  :10_1_10:  :10_1_10:

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

She's a beauty, Mark. Your build is an incentive for me. Thanks. :10_1_10::)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

She just gets better and better Mark,

I don't have the skills most of the other scratch builders have but I'm learning.  

Tom, I am indeed psyched.  Or maybe that's psycho? :P  

I think you're short selling yourself on your skills Mark. 

My suspicion is we are ALL a bit psycho here, you have to be to take little tiny pieces of wood, cut them into smaller pieces of wood and then glue them back together into new, more different tiny pieces of wood, all with the aid of a lighted magnifier! :D :D

Merry Xmas to you and your Admiral.

Sam

Edited by src

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Looks very beautiful!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Looks better than most hardwood floors!  I would keep the finish as is but that is me.   :)

Looks ghreat as ir is Mark.  This gives you the excuse to have a really good festive season celebration - well two excuses ;)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Mark, your work at perfection is paying off :cheers:

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

I'd like to take a minute to wish you and all your followers a very Merry Christmas and a great New Year Mark!  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

In the immortal words from "Trading Places".... "Looking good Billy Ray"

Best,

John

Ps I wish all my friends on MSW a truly fabulous Christmas (with lots of tools under the tree). And the best of everything in the New Year!!!

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Your planking looks magnific Mark.  That Poly really enhances the wood.  One thing I do not understand is your pear wood.  I know several modelers who swear by it and say it does not ding or mar easily.

David B

Beautiful planking Mark.  Gwen and I wish you and the family a merry Christmas and a happy and foremost healthy 2016.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

A Very Merry Christmas to You and Janet mate and may 2016 bring you both the relief you desperately want. Enjoy the hols mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks again for the "likes" and comments. And also for the holiday wishes. 

Work is slowly progressing.  It took several days to get my head wrapped around the next steps but they're now underway. 

She just gets better and better Mark,

I think you're short selling yourself on your skills Mark. 

My suspicion is we are ALL a bit psycho here, you have to be to take little tiny pieces of wood, cut them into smaller pieces of wood and then glue them back together into new, more different tiny pieces of wood, all with the aid of a lighted magnifier! :D :D

Merry Xmas to you and your Admiral.

Sam

Indeed Sam.  I'm very fond of saying that also about what we do.  But, it is fun and satisfying.

In the immortal words from "Trading Places".... "Looking good Billy Ray"

Best,
John

Ps I wish all my friends on MSW a truly fabulous Christmas (with lots of tools under the tree). And the best of everything in the New Year!!!

Best,
John

"Feeling good, Louis!".   :)

Your planking looks magnific Mark.  That Poly really enhances the wood.  One thing I do not understand is your pear wood.  I know several modelers who swear by it and say it does not ding or mar easily.

David B

Thanks David.  I'm not sure either.  It could be me as I'm clamping while the wood is wet so maybe that's the problem.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, I think that the hull looks great. I am not sure that boxwood would look as warm and mellow as what you have achieved.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

very nice looking hull Mark.........like Michael said,  if you used another type of wood,  you wouldn't have gotten such a sweet finish.   you've achieved so much here........tell that inner critic to take a hike!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year, Mark

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thank you for the "likes", the Christmas wishes, and the comments.

Minor update, as such.  Added the sternpost (boxwood), and the fashion pieces and the covering board (both are ebony) for the seam between the counter and the hull planking. I've put on one coat of wipe-on-poly.

I'm still perturbed by the black from the gap filling, but will live with it.   A bit more care the next time (and hopefully less stress since I have bigger clue) should work out. 

post-76-0-26253800-1451155379_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-79108900-1451155387_thumb.jpg

Taking a break from the ship for a day or two to upgrade the laser cutter... 

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Looking good Mark!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thanks for the "likes" and the comments.

Great job Mark. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of laser cutter do you have?

Paul

Paul,

I have the MM LaserKnife.  It's basically a Chinese K40 with some upgrades they insisted on.  I've already upgraded the lens to get a finer cut.. and now the tube.  Seems I can't leave anything "stock"...

The stern looks good, Mark.  Yes, there are a few dark filler marks, but they'll be hardly noticeable when the hull in right way up and you can see them far more clearly than anyone else - we always see the less than perfect sections of our models most clearly.

John

John,

I know you're right.. but.. we all do it.   I've flipped her over and the filled areas will pretty much disappear.  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mon dieu! You've made quite some strides ... can't stay a way for you pull a fast one ... Beautiful planking, Mark, the strokes come out nicely, and the poly does enhance the look

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Mark

Absolutely love what you've achieved so far. Just the symmetry of the planking on the port and starboard sides of the hull, (ie when viewed from astern), is marvellous, not to mention the stern framing. Now that's care and precision, for ya.

Nicely done.

Cheers

Patrick

Nice work on the stern Mark; ditto John's remarks.  We tend to be harder on ourselves than others and mostly the small issues you identify are only visible under harsh (bright) light and close-up photography - the real thing was probably a lot rougher to the eye than you have produced.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)