Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

I have a question... this one goes back to "roof", "open" or "tub"...  Take a look at the drawing and where the red line points to.  I see the same line on the NMM drawing but it's very faint.   So now I'm wondering... is that a roof line?  Hahn's model has a roof/cover but.....  I'm not sure what I'm seeing.

post-76-0-91088700-1466550425.jpg

I just realized today that if I don't lock my reference work (a pdf scan of the plan), I can accidently change the size of it.   grrrr....  I've started over redrawing my gallery top.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It might be a roof line - or the top of the lead lining against the side.

And therein is what is giving me pause.  I re-checked the drawings of the French ships I have and haven't seen a line in that location....  Based on previous discussion, I'm leaning towards the lining top.   This will probably end up just being a best guess on my part based on the "typical" for French ships and the fact that Hahn wasn't always right, either. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark and Druxey, why would the lead lining go so high, especially if the railings are open - no way to use it as a cistern unless the lining went up the same height against the rails also?  If a storage area, it might have been a wood lining to prevent minor damage but I would have thought the ship's side would have been sufficient for that?

Just my two cent's for what it is worth :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat,

I've thought about that and the more I work on this, the smaller that "tub" area is.  This is an oddball as the other ships I've seen (French) don't have this shape of gallery nor is rail/roof like this.  I'm scratching my head a lot.

''I re-checked the drawings of the French ships I have seen a line in that location"".

Could you show us an example?

Gaetan, I think you mis-quoted me, the quote is "I re-checked the drawings of the French ships I have and haven't seen a line in that location".   There's no line there on Le Venus, Belle Poule or Hermione.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Gaetan,

He took it from the NMM plan. His deck plans, lines, etc. all seem to match the NMM.  Even his "squiggles" for the carvings are if not the same, similar to the NMM plan.  The line is there on the NMM plan but it's faint (or I have a bad copy).   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Yes, Gaetan.  I have the English version... Beudroit?  I've been pouring over that one a lot the last few days.    Either there is something undocumented that only occured during certain rebuilds or..  the NMM drawing is just flat wrong even though it was made as "as captured".  

Hmm... yes.. similar but different.  The Licorne drawing shows that it doesn't go all the way back to the transom.  

Also, here's the drawing I found of La Bellone.... different gallery entirely.

post-76-0-81541700-1466640461_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

And look at that wonderful extreme French midships section!

Sweet, isn't it?   I'm liking the French ships.  There's just something about the lines and the details.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Probably there is something about the altered lines and details. I can't say the switch between nationalities has gone quite fluently (either way).

So far I can't say it looks like a balcony or a tub like form. The carving does give the impression, but looking at the lines, I have to stay with the roofed version. Not as much a bathtub as well as a bath house.

Having had a second look at Geatan's drawings you can see clearly it is "tub-ish" and the railing is open. The lines of the hull are clearly visible. When looking at the Licorne's drawing it is not the case.

Mark, I wonder if you will find a definite answer to this question. You might as well go with your gut feeling. It's your build ...

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Mark,

As I've mentioned before (I think)  - your level of research for this build is superlative. Learning a lot just following along as a sophomore - well almost a junior I hope (:-)))

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks for the help and support.    

Part of the fun of this build is the research. I've learned that the French had a very different life aboard a frigate than their British or American counterparts.  Examples being the sleeping arrangements, the use of the Great Cabin as we know it was different.  

I'm very much suspecting that at the time of her capture, Licorne had been or was still being used as a testbed.  The French were pretty good about this.  Take a good design and then pick a ship of that design and tweak it.  Her masting shows that as her masting is the same dimensions of an 18 pdr built after she was captured .  The fact that she has more in common with Belle Poule than Renommee.  Looking at the "as built" versus the "as captured" I see a trending in what was done... no port lids, the change in planking and wales.  the change to the transom appears to be an intermediate step.

As for the galleries... my sense is that these also were in transition also from the galleries on ships like Renommee to the time of Belle Poule.  

But that's what I have, a sense... and not hard facts.  Everything I've mentioned is circumstantial except for the two sets of plans.  

I think the roof on the galleries is correct way to go.   I won't be fully committed to that until the moment I glue it on.  And I'll continue researching up until that moment.   I know there's an answer... somewhere.

In the meantime, I hope that someday, my building skills get to be at least equal to my research.  

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I've been diligently working while continuing to dig for information.  I've looked at what seems to be a zillion plans, paintings, sketches, etc. online of French frigates...   this darned ship's galleries don't match any of them.  There's a couple of other odd things I noticed but since the NMM plans have them, I have to assume that the guys in the yard taking the lines, etc. knew what they were doing and drew what they saw in front of them..  My eyes are killing me from staring at the computer and the NMM plans...  Aspirin helps.  ;)

I've reworked the roof to match the lines (and this time allowed for tolerances and my own stupidty) and then stained it black.  I momentarily thought about using ebony but 1) didn't have the proper size stock and 2) didn't want to deal with the mess.   I've reworked the rail/decorations.  These appear to be more decorative than an actual railing so I'm cutting the pieces as individuals and will fit them as I go.  

In the pics, one set of decorations has been cut and etched on 1/32" (<1mm) Euro Boxwood.  The other still needs cutting but I need to thickness another chunk of wood for that as i wasted a bit getting the settings right on the cutter.  There will be a black covering board for the roof top with a piece of boxwood trim around it.  

Well.... here goes....  wish me luck as I dive off the deep end.  I hope there's water in the pool... metaphorically speaking.

post-76-0-20427600-1467523925_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-66013700-1467523938.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, I have a spare set eye balls if you want to borrow them, that is some seriousely tiny work there mate.

Good research but now's the time to start making sawdust, good luck mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

It looks very promising indeed, Mark.

7.9 mm boxwood, you didn't even burn it to cinders with your aparatus.

I can relate to the pain in your eyes, and the aspirin. We should be building at 1:1 after a certain age ... these smaller scales are an additional challenge in model building. I'm real curious as how it will look in the end. You build your Licorne as Remco states in his signature. Great work ...

Carl

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Grant, I know there's more coming at this size.... It should be interesting.

Mark, I have a spare set eye balls if you want to borrow them, that is some seriousely tiny work there mate.

Good research but now's the time to start making sawdust, good luck mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

Luckily, Mobbsie, I think my marathon at the computer is over for now.  Then again, next week may bring something else....  Hang onto your spare set, they may come in handy.  :)

It looks very promising indeed, Mark.

7.9 mm boxwood, you didn't even burn it to cinders with your aparatus.

I can relate to the pain in your eyes, and the aspirin. We should be building at 1:1 after a certain age ... these smaller scales are an additional challenge in model building. I'm real curious as how it will look in the end. You build your Licorne as Remco states in his signature. Great work ...

Thanks Carl.   Minor math error... it's 0.79 mm... and yes those bits are getting tiny.  But I think I can deal with it.   1:1 would be fun but I have to knock down a few neighbors houses to do it.  That and I'm about 150 miles from the ocean....  

Smart move not to use ebony, Mark!

I love the look.. the mess.. not so much.   I think the last of the ebony for this ship is in place.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Minor math error... it's 0.79 mm

That's painfull ... I suddenly increased the size of your build .... :blush: maybe that's why I couldn't get some details to fit on my own models ;)

That and I'm about 150 miles from the ocean....

You would sail Licorne if you were closer to the sea !?!?!?

Happy birthday Mark

Carl

Happy Birthday Mark. I hope you and Janet are having a nice holiday, and birthday.  You are both in my prayers.  We'll be sticking to the home front this holiday.  There are a lot of people on the road this holiday, and I hate driving in heavy traffic.  My best to you both.

And Happy Birthday from me too Mark. I hope you get thoroughly spoiled for the day and receive many model building-related gifts!

Happy Birthday Mark! Best wishes for a great day. :cheers:

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild