SkerryAmp

Announcing the Model Ship World Ship Kit Database Project

112 posts in this topic

Adam,

Someone said "no good deed goes unpunished". As you compile all this information, I think you will be taking on a degree of responsibility if you make a mistake. Some folks may buy a kit based on the information you provide, and if its wrong... Further, why go through all that trouble duplicating the information supplied by the manufacturer? Why not just prepare a simply list of all the manufactures of which you are aware, a general description of the type of kits they offer, and web address? Manufacturers pay for web sites that provide all the information you would be compiling, so why bother? Let them market their own stuff. I think your idea is good if kept very simple. Beyond that, you are just duplicating the manufacturer's effort and you could be exposed to some responsibility if you mistakenly misrepresent a product. Just sayin'.

wq3296

You are correct that no good deed goes unpunished.  However I am not overly concerned with it as the information is just that information and guidance only.  There will be no purchase ability or links to buying the ships so if anyone does purchase one they will have to go find it. This is simply to let folks know what is out there and is directly in response to the several questions I have seen regarding availability of certain types of ships.  It may not be a bad idea to put a quick disclaimer on it though JUST in case :)

As for simple vs complex listings.  The other half of the motivation for this project is to continue to use programming skills that I either don't use often or are trying to learn.  So it is a win win - info for the club and practice for me :) .   

And while it is true I am just reproducing the info from the manufacturer (in fact literally that is what I am doing), it is aggregated into one location.  Again, many of users have an idea of what they would like to build but no real idea if it exists.  Some, especially new builders, aren't aware of the variety of manufacturers out there.  So it is a compendium of kits to give a resource to MSW that others don't have or do not have to this extent.   Future additions will include links to the build logs from the kits (once I finish my mad scientist experiment of scraping the site for build log links).  This way anyone coming to the list from outside the site will have an in TO the site and maybe drive some traffic to this terrific resource.   Additionally, MSW will soon be able to give their own reviews of the kits they have built giving even more information to the inquisitive ship builder.

CaptainSteve likes this

Adam,  A terrific idea.  Maybe especially for people (like me) who think "code' Is pig Latin or quantum entanglement, but who knows what that is(?)

Thanks Fred,  Code is indeed a strange language if you are not used to it - I have been coding in one way or another since a kid and my dad brought home an old HoneyWell/Bull dumb terminal hooked to his mainframe at work.  Been at this a while - just trying to learn new languages and technologies (keeping up can be a chore)

Hopefully some constructive criticism but I think you need to check the kit difficulty for the Caldercraft series.

You have ballahoo down as an intermediate and yet Snake as a beginner. Havent really checked the other kits as I have no experience with them but probably worth having a look when you have a moment.

Cheers!

Hi Jim, any criticism is always welcome!!   Thank you for the heads up, I will check those and see if I put them in wrong or if there was a problem with the query!

jim_smits likes this

Hi there! You going to be adding Aeropiccola and other defunct kit builders so that we might also seek out some old out of production kits? ;)

SkerryAmp likes this

Adam,    We all know that the only way to avoid mistakes, to say nothing of criticism, is to do nothing.  I think what you are doing is a great service to the model community and i, for one, appreciate it, expect to benefit from it and don't much care it it is not "perfect", whatever that means, since that is an entirely subjective term anyway.  Thanks for doing it.

SkerryAmp, RichardG and mtaylor like this

This may be a very stupid question .

I have been searching the Ship Kit Database  and every ship shows that the page is under construction

Are there ANY ships that have any real information in it???

What am I doing wrong??

SkerryAmp likes this

Hi SkerryAmp,

Brilliant concept well executed.

I am a SQL and VB programmer so if need any help just shout.

Have just discoverd MSW now and your datbase was my first port of call.

Keep up the good work

Mick

SkerryAmp likes this

Hey guys,

First - thank you all for your incredible patience..   I have not dissappeared nor have I abadoned any projects.   What has happened is a combination of Work (promotion, merger, reorg  you get the gist),  School (finishing my B.S degree, wraps up in September and rather than it getting easier the load is getting heavier) AND health (my wife and I are a bit on the heavy side so have been doing Thai Kickboxing and with the nice weather getting out when time permits:  Just got our yellow belts :10_1_10: ).   Combine those with just the normal have to acknowledge my family from time to time and there has not been much time for much else.

I am so thrilled folks are using the  database, and priomise updates will be coming.

Sygreen - am very sorry,  those pages are coming and were on deck but have not gotten back to them.

Any way, these are not excuses mind you - just explanation ,  again thanks for bearing with the delay... but it is not a dead project and will be getting some life breathed into it :D

Thanks all!!!

EJ_L, CaptainSteve, mtaylor and 1 other like this

Great job. One mistake I found: the WASA is swedish not swiss.....

Yeah, there are a few of those - I have no idea what I was thinking; will be addressing those =)

This may be a very stupid question .

I have been searching the Ship Kit Database  and every ship shows that the page is under construction

Are there ANY ships that have any real information in it???

What am I doing wrong??

Nothing at all, right now the details are on the main page;  those pages with the overworked cat will be where the information is moved to in order to clean up the wall of information on the search list.

Hi SkerryAmp,

Brilliant concept well executed.

I am a SQL and VB programmer so if need any help just shout.

Have just discoverd MSW now and your datbase was my first port of call.

Keep up the good work

Mick

I will keep you in mind =)   My first order of business when i get back to it is moving it to MVC, I think it will help maintaining and updating it much much easier!!  But definately may tap you for some database advice- not my strongest point and am sure I will run into a few what the heck situations =)

Canute and mtaylor like this

thank you for doing this - there is a lot of information here

My pleasure;  I can't contribute much in the way of advice yet so this is my way of contributing what I can for a great site!

Thanks for the looks and the likes :)

Hi there! You going to be adding Aeropiccola and other defunct kit builders so that we might also seek out some old out of production kits? ;)

I have toyed with the idea of defunct kits and companies - that would be another effort I am afraid as it is a bit more open ended and harder to track down. Not out of  the question, but lower in the priorities at the moment.  Sorry :(

Adam,    We all know that the only way to avoid mistakes, to say nothing of criticism, is to do nothing.  I think what you are doing is a great service to the model community and i, for one, appreciate it, expect to benefit from it and don't much care it it is not "perfect", whatever that means, since that is an entirely subjective term anyway.  Thanks for doing it.

Thanks Fred, I appreciate that!  Very much so and you are very welcome :)

A disclaimer in a footer on each page should free the website and developer from legal issues.

Yeah, probobly a good idea, I agree =)

Please check the entry for the "Wasa" from Billing Boats, the nation is Swedish not Swiss.

:cheers:

Yep - my mistake and will fix it when I get back in there, thanks!

mtaylor, CharlieZardoz and Kevin like this

There's a link on the main MSW page. Just after the Model Expo ad and just before the "Monitored by Securi" link.

There's also a link in Adam's first message at the start of this thread.

Canute likes this

thanks captain steve  i found it  great to have that information     now if we had the pros and cons for these kits  like which ones arent in english  lol

Canute and CaptainSteve like this

i see no dates on content/comments past late 2013. Is this project still underway? i went to the database and found a lot of good info, but many, many pages not yet completed. Status?

WaltB

zoly99sask and skipper1947 like this

a kit can fall out of production at any time.........difficult to tell.   it takes quite a bit of time for any kit to deplete really,  depending how saturated it is in the market place.   one of the scary things,  in purchasing a kit from like E-bay and such,  is that the kit may not contain some....or even all of the instruction sheets.  it's too bad that including these in the database,  could result in some serious repercussions.  

to date......the most common ship kit {that I know of} that suffers from lost instruction sheets,  is a plastic kit....and that is the Revell Cutty Sark 1:96.  I posted them on my Blogger blog site,  so folks can acquire them  {I have gotten quite a few requests}.  every kit that I build,  be it wood or plastic,  I save the instruction sheets.   most manufacturers also post the instruction sheets as well......although some do not include sheets like rigging and profile diagrams.

I believe Adam is limiting this to only wood kits......to add other gender kits would expand the list tremendously.  great job so far Adam.......just browsed through and am amazed with how many are here!  :)