La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

Hello,

thanks to all for the interest in my report.

I think it is okay with the silk fabric so far.

IMG_0712_wett.jpg.c7eb9f7c8aec7413e7bdf5b8e0c42a75.jpg

DSC00384.thumb.jpg.77bbee76fc6e2b1389247d2752200768.jpg
In a German forum we are discussing the issue that the windsock should be open at the top, because of the flow technique.

Windsack_Inflexible_vergr2.jpg.c908e0eda00c7938e1d2b075f56ecb19.jpg

Edited by archjofo

I suppose it depends on how loose the canvas weave is. If you don't want it to blow away, a hole at the end would be added security!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Johann, the silk fabric looks just fine but I do think the pointed end of the windsock should be open otherwise lift would be limited. 

@druxey

@Keith Black

Hello,

thank you for the interesting comments.

Continuation: Main masthead with weather vane and war pennant (flamme de guerre)
To take into account the discussion about the flow technique of a windsock, I now made the windsocks with a small opening at the top for the three masts. I dyed the silk a little darker.
DSC00396.thumb.jpg.bc1525d16ec54c4995732a3ec388d43c.jpg

The next picture shows the weather vane (girouette) with windsock (Manche de vent) on the foremast.

DSC00402.thumb.jpg.165d686eec809b5f54100450b08e1f19.jpg

DSC00403.thumb.jpg.c19e47a803494b8fce113426e882a213.jpg

And here again in a modified form, the arrangement of the weather vane with windsock on the main mast.

DSC00405.thumb.jpg.38b911ceac9a89cc7e3c8c92453cbdb2.jpg

Now I will start the first attempts for the war pennant.
To be continued ...

Hello,

In the meantime, a fellow modeler Eberhard @wefalck directed me to a publication on how large the flags and pennants were. 
Here I show excerpts of this book - LE GRAS, M.A.: Album des pavillons, guidons, flammmes de toutes les puissances maritimes - Paris 1858:

Flammes_de_guerre_tabelle.thumb.jpg.244f6bc6db13a051cd52c248191bcbf6.jpg

Meanwhile, with the help of Eberhard @wefalck I was able to clarify one thing, what the column marked with a question mark means. This means the fabric web width, which was accordingly 50 cm. Thus, after correctly classifying the type of ship, the sizes of the flags and pennants can be determined. 
Accordingly, the large pennant of the La Creole was 16 m long and the
 width was 15 cm. 
The pennant/tricolore was divided as follows:
Starting at the masthead 20% blue, 20% white and 60% of the length waving red.

Commissioning or war pennant (flamme de guerre)
After I was able to clarify (details here LINK) how big the commissioning pennant of the French corvette was, the thought came about which material it should be made of. In order to transfer the lightness of the original pennants to scale, only fine silk fabric came into question for me, which I had to dye accordingly.

DSC00407.thumb.jpg.f501a709b1009d995aa11383fdf95511.jpg

As in the original, I put the pennant together from three parts (tricolor). The pennant edges were carefully coated with white glue according to the template. After the glue had dried, the pennant parts could be cut out with a scalpel and glued together.

DSC00411.thumb.jpg.010daa9c390694660b5919815ce2839d.jpg

The silk used is a very filigree fabric and slightly shimmering through, which was also intended. Therefore a mishap happened when cutting the pennant. So the end of the pennant has become a little crooked. Nevertheless, I wanted to see how the long pennant looked on the model and then temporarily hoisted it for a picture on the main mast and am so far satisfied with the result.

DSC00417.thumb.JPG.5b0b7a8e38101ae5c72ee5a9c34e98ed.JPG

Ultimately, I now know how to make the pennant and can get to the final and exact production. I'll use the same method to make the flags.
Up soon …

Edited by archjofo

Continuation:  War pennant (flamme de guerre)
I continued with the making of the flags and the long pennant for the La Créole. 
DSC00418.thumb.jpg.33e2bb19dd8a963bf7b9415cbbb70080.jpg  

The following picture thus shows the finished flags and the flamme de guerre with indication of the original sizes.

DSC00425.thumb.jpg.892bacfbe971c941e531a299dbff3e9d.jpg

In the next two pictures, the war pennant can be seen again on the model, especially the detail on the flag button with the flag line sheared through and the pennant wood. 

DSC00434.thumb.jpg.00fca8d631aabfc1215bff3995320106.jpg

DSC00442.thumb.jpg.88cca766edc57012612b46db6fd717c7.jpg

I provisionally sheared the flag line of the large flag at the gaff through the iron single block at the nock.For the detail to attach the flag line to the eye of the boltrope, I used a toggle as in the original. 

Chambers_1908_Toggle.png.24383bf8475dc193dfa632fd4017a96c.png

Source: Wictionary

DSC00446.thumb.jpg.78c026ece37679d0030ccd104bd406cf.jpg

However, the final assembly of the flags and the long pennant will be done just before the model is completed, as this fine silk fabric is not very durable.
So until then, off it goes into the "evidence room" with the other "suspects" until the final installation.
20220112_195409.thumb.jpg.377f64b766580c756e71963b548ae9f4.jpg 

To be continued ...

PS: Macro shots are merciless ...

Edited by archjofo

6 minutes ago, archjofo said:

DSC00446.thumb.jpg.78c026ece37679d0030ccd104bd406cf.jpg

😯 

Just brilliant. 

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

2 hours ago, archjofo said:

PS: Macro shots are merciless ...

Well, yes, in most cases. However in your case I can't really see any flaws or even dust speckles.

Nice evidence room. 🙂 Very stylish in all glass. Think I will take that idea and implement in the future.

Keep it up!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

I think many of us wish our macros and our work came out half as well as yours, Johann.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

@Wintergreen

@jdbondy

@mtaylor

Hello,

thank you for your interest and the nice comments and also thank you to the others, also for the many LIKES.

Here I continue with my report:

Ratlines for the topmast shrouds - Enflechures
Long enough I shied away from attaching the ratlines to the topmast shrouds, also aware that this requires extremely sensitive precision work. 
The ratlines for the topmast shrouds of the La Créole had a smaller diameter than those of the lower shrouds, so these have ø 0.25 mm in model scale. Some time ago I made a successful attempt to attach these thin ratlines to the outer shrouds by means of eyes. The formation of the corresponding eyes was done by a simple splice or fake splice.
I also reported that for this difficult work in the rigging an adapted working height is very advantageous. Accordingly, I got myself a scissor lift in order to obtain the optimum working height steplessly.
Who doesn't know the strain of maintaining a steady hand when doing detailed work in the rigging. A flexible support option close to the position to be worked on would certainly be a great help. With this in mind, briefly searched for suitable material for implementation and set to work. 
In addition, besides the storage facility for rigging tools etc., appropriate lighting was also installed, which brings even more advantages for working in the rigging.
In retrospect, I am very glad to have built this simple auxiliary device. It facilitates this work immensely. It is easy to adapt to new situations.

_DSC7994.thumb.jpg.bfc496cf18e912cf30fd136d6c7cecae.jpg

Now back to the actual topic, the ratlines of the topmast shrouds. I started with the mizzen topmast to see if it is at all feasible in the intended form. The further up you go in the direction of the crosstrees, the smaller the distance between the shrouds, which ultimately means less and less space for the simple splice. In the end, I achieved it. In this respect, the way is now clear for the remaining ratlines.
DSC00449.thumb.jpg.f716824e6756c29fae3cb0f7580907d3.jpg

DSC00456.thumb.jpg.b5a7ecf068641c61db394ea13c2e4cdb.jpg

The last picture should give an impression of the different thicknesses of the ratlines. 

_DSC8023.thumb.jpg.85bfd2dd85d9b8bd61cf6fede96c6369.jpg

See you soon ...

I'm going to try to emulate your ratline technique on my current model but I'm not sure I can pull it off - and I do surgery for a living! You continue to amaze Johann!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Johann, I'm envious of your lift and adjustable rest, that's a really sweet setup. Your rigging is inspirational, it's the best I've ever seen. 

3 hours ago, dvm27 said:

and I do surgery for a living!

that explains a lot having seen your work on Speedwell Greg 😉 

@archjofo about the ratlines. I guess that the eye splice is seized to the stay shroud even up there, right? Looks terrific!

Edited by Wintergreen

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

I am in total agreement with Greg (although my patients only had two legs).  Phenomenal work.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

On 1/17/2022 at 6:16 PM, dvm27 said:

I'm going to try to emulate your ratline technique on my current model but I'm not sure I can pull it off - and I do surgery for a living! You continue to amaze Johann!

@dvm27

Hello Greg,

thank you very much for your interest in my report and for the encouraging comment.

It would be an honor if you would use this technique on your wonderful model.
As a civil engineer and architect, I was involved in communal construction. But now I'm in early retirement, so I can finally deal with these things more intensively.

Edited by archjofo

15 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Johann, I'm envious of your lift and adjustable rest, that's a really sweet setup. Your rigging is inspirational, it's the best I've ever seen. 

@Keith Black

Hi,
thank you for your interest in what I do, and 
thanks for the nice comment.

14 hours ago, Wintergreen said:

that explains a lot having seen your work on Speedwell Greg 😉 

@archjofo about the ratlines. I guess that the eye splice is seized to the stay shroud even up there, right? Looks terrific!

@Wintergreen
Hi Håkan,
Thanks for the encouragement.
If I understood your question correctly, this is what you meant?DSC00461.jpg.749deb3c6f60f744e28210e6f325b431.jpg

1 hour ago, archjofo said:

If I understood your question correctly, this is what you meant?

Exactly. Thanks for the excellent close up photo. Something to strive for in future builds that I'll do.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Johann, beautiful work as always. I am always in awe of you workmanship. 

You may have mentioned this in a previous post and I have forgotten since then, but what type of material are you using for your rigging line? Not a single speck of fuzz not even on the closest shots. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Exemplary! A standard for the rest of us to try to reach. Most of us would not have the courage to try to splice the ends of our ratlines, never mind succeed so neatly.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

6 hours ago, mbp521 said:

Johann, beautiful work as always. I am always in awe of you workmanship. 

You may have mentioned this in a previous post and I have forgotten since then, but what type of material are you using for your rigging line? Not a single speck of fuzz not even on the closest shots. 

-Brian

@mbp521

Hi Brian,

I use silk yarn to make the ropes.
There is a longer review on this and can be read here if you are interested:
LINK

Edited by archjofo

Continuation: Ratlines for the topmast shrouds - Enflechures
In the meantime I was able to finish the ratlines on the starboard side of the mizzen topmast shrouds. 
The tangle of ropes in the upper right corner of the following picture are the topgallant shrouds and royal shrouds that have not been fixed yet.
DSC00464.thumb.jpg.1d07063467bc40d15ab648862e6da1c9.jpg 
In the next step the main topmast shrouds will get the ratlines.

To be continued ...

Edited by archjofo

You know, there is a point where raising the bar any higher just makes some of us feel more inadequate..😁

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

A raised bar is to be expected when a masterpiece is being created. I have no hopes of every being able to emulate Johann's work, I'm quite content to sit and watch as his masterpiece unfolds. 

Edited by Keith Black

6 hours ago, Keith Black said:

A raised bar is to be expected when a masterpiece is being created. I have no hopes of every being to emulate Johann's work, I'm quite content to sit and watch as his masterpiece unfolds. 

Exactly.  It's sort of like looking over Da Vinci's shoulder while he painted.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

@Gregory

@Keith Black

@mtaylor

Hello,

your kind comments make me slightly embarrassed ...🥵
In this context I would like to mention that it gives me a lot of pleasure to be able to exchange experiences with ship model building with you here in this fantastic forum.  So everyone can learn and profit from each other. This also contributes to the development of my model building skills. Therefore, at this point to all a big thank you. 

Continuation: Ratlines for the top mast shrouds - Enflechures
In the meantime, the main mast has received the ralines at the top mast shrouds, at least on the starboard side. The futtock stave just below the crosstrees, I have also already attached.
Here are two pictures:
DSC066734_wett.jpg.a32ce0ec673dc949896039914ba36836.jpg 

DSC066735_wett.jpg.cc6ec5f10afa78e3bf0f41619e8e40f9.jpg

See you soon ...