La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

On 1/28/2022 at 11:48 AM, archjofo said:

This also contributes to the development of my model building skills.

Johann, 

I’ve heard that there is always room for improvement, but how do you top perfection? Your shipbuilding skills are masterful. Thank you for posting the video to, it just adds to the enjoyment of this build. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Johann, sorry to hear the news. Take care, your model is beautiful and we can wait.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Best wishes for a fast recovery, Johann! I am always tremendously enjoying updates of your build log, but good health comes first.

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

So sorry to hear Johann. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. We will patiently stand by while you get yourself better. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Johann, sorry to hear this has happened to you. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

Ouch! Why did you do that?? Sounds unnecessary to me.

Jokes aside, accidents happen of which I'm all too familiar with.

The benefits of a surgery with some spiling of the fractured bone (done well) is that you will probably be back building sooner rather than later.

Take care!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

I too am sorry to hear this, Johann.  Follow the doctor's orders including surgery if needed.  The wood, the ship, and those of us following along are a patient group.  Health and healing are more important than a ship model.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello colleagues,

Thank you for the recovery wishes.

According to the results of yesterday's examination, surgery is now not necessary. I got a new splint. I have to go to the examination again next Tuesday. If everything remains stable, then no surgery will be performed. In about 5 weeks the hand should be fully functional again. :piratebo5:

Great news, Johann. On the other hand (sorry) you can single handedly outrig the rest of us so get back to work with your good hand!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

That is excellent news! Glad to hear that it’s not serious enough to require surgery. 

-Brian

That's great news, Johann.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good news Johann! I hope that the recovery goes well and that we can soon follow this great build again. It is one of my sources of joy and most of all inspiration.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Hi there,
Thank you in advance for the good wishes.
As is well known, I have to pause for a few weeks with the practical implementation in model building.
In this respect, I am currently only dealing with the theory and have worked on the following topic.
I can now write fairly well with the thumb of my right hand and five fingers of my left hand.

Catharpins of the topmast shrouds - Trélingage des haubans de hune

In the course of the rigging for my French corvette, I got to know many different detailed designs as far as the English and French way of rigging was concerned at the beginning of the 19th century.
Based on my research so far, I have come to the conclusion that, especially with English rigs, catharpins have obviously been dispensed with on topmast shrouds and topgallant mast shrouds, or that no need was seen for them. Correspondingly, Klaus Schrage also only describes catharpins of the lower shrouds in "Rundholzer, Tauwerk und Segel" (Rundhölzer, Tauwerk und Segel).
On the other hand, I can state that it seems to have been quite common among the French during the period in question to also provide the topmast shrouds and topgallant mast shrouds with catharpins. This is proven by contemporary models in the Paris museum, as shown in the exemplary compilation in the following picture:

bramwanten_trelingage.thumb.jpg.bc1b813d160fc2aebf2b200f30417b1c.jpg

Furthermore, I refer to the explanations in Jean Boudriot's "Le Vaisseau de 74 Canons" Part 3. The following figure from this source:

bramwanten_trelingage_74er.thumb.jpg.591ea20c1cad711b3f6adae9d1ecc8b8.jpg
Source: 74er J. Boudriot

As further evidence, I cite relevant contemporary literature, as can be read in a test excerpt below. It is true that this book deals with the rigging of a frigate with 44 guns. But I think that in principle this can also be applied to smaller units such as corvettes. This in turn corresponds to the corresponding representations on the contemporary models.

1243275742_manuel_du_jeune_marine_1828.thumb.jpg.aef857de83e124a1903bc34be2701e81.jpg

Source: Manual du jeune marin - page 121 - Louis-Stanislas Baudin · 1828

So that's how I'm going to do it on my corvette.

Up soon ...

Edited by archjofo

Just found this awesome build, words escape me. Recover soon. :imNotWorthy:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Johann,

So sorry to hear about this!  Heal quickly!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 3 weeks later...

@markjay

@GrandpaPhil

Hi,

thank you very much for the good wishes.

Hello colleagues,

after a short creative break ... 😁... we continue here again:
Continuation: Ratlines for the topmast shrouds - Enflechures
With the addition of the ratlines for the topmast shrouds, it was necessary to clarify how the futtock staves are to be made here. In contrast to the more massive futtock staves of the lower shrouds, made of served brass rods, I used a rope with ø 0.35 mm for the topmast shrouds, which was soaked with super glue before serving.

DSC00481.thumb.jpg.06c430908f2734a61a23be2a4a6d6d31.jpg

After fixing the futtock stave, I could attach the last ratlines of the port side main topmast shrouds.

DSC00478.thumb.jpg.2ae262f9e626751f948bb443c4979105.jpg

So the chapter -ratlines for the main topmast shrouds- is done:

DSC00492.thumb.jpg.b41d6aef304904ca7102e3ff79c51e76.jpg
Soon I will continue with the ratlines for the fore topmast shrouds to finally close the chapter -ratlines- for this model.

To be continued ...

@shipman

Thank you very much,
also for the interest in my work,especially since I can't deliver anything new.

I have already started with the ratlines of the topmast shrouds. In this respect, I already see a silver lining on the horizon ... 😁 

The hand has healed well so far. However, due to the long immobilization with splint the fingers are a bit rusty. But it is getting better from day to day.