La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

Hello,

This way of working the upper end of the stays is correct as it is quoted in Costé's treatise which serves as your reference.
It should be noted, however, that Costé specifies that coherence is required and if the upper stays use this type of mooring, it should be practised for all the stays.
For the mooring at the bottom, depending on the stay, they are fixed either on the bars as you have shown, or on the stay next to it after passing through a thimble or a block (depending on their diameter) fitted on a bolt behind the cap or even more simply by tying it to this bolt.
Here is the mizzen top stay of La Créole where you can see how it is worked with two branches, i.e. without mouse.

Etai.jpg.6ea67b0e17b4841ce95b23185f09e38d.jpg

@bdgiantman2

Hi there,

I am happy to comply with your request.
Of course, the model looks a little messy in this condition.
Besides, I'm not a professional photographer. I will soon get myself a real background for taking photos so that I can bring the whole model onto the picture.
I hope that you like the pictures so far.

_DSC7700.thumb.jpg.c381ccd0f18f2d451cda5aa15d2665b1.jpg

_DSC7703.thumb.jpg.644cfe604a7e6935e1e9038c6bf066c1.jpg

_DSC7705.thumb.jpg.263a1bbc63131ec4a8ff7718ea6403cd.jpg

_DSC7690.thumb.jpg.5d4db2430931caac50385b4c02fc1fbf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

No words to describe this beauty. Amazing museum quality work! And thanks for images of whole ship :D 

Past build: BRACERA

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do... Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"

KIND REGARDS!

ELMIR

• 2 weeks later...

I somehow missed seeing this thread until now. Please take every post as 'liked', Johann. Your work continues to be exceptional!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

This is a stunningly beautiful model and your build log is a masterclass for the rest of us! Congratulations!!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hello,
I am very happy about the extremely nice comments from all of you and the many LIKES.
That of course motivates me a lot and gives me the feeling of being part of a really great community that pursues the same interests. Thanks again for that.

Continuation: Mizzen topgallant stay - Étai mât de perruche 
As already reported on this topic some time ago (LINK), the monograph by J. Boudriot does not reveal in detail how the mizzen topgallant stay was attached. In this respect, I orientated myself on examples from relevant literature.
Before attaching the stay (model rope ø 0.46 mm), its length must be determined on the model, as it is guided over a single block (length 4 mm) and integrating the thimble on the model is not necessarily recommended.

DSC00220.thumb.jpg.d21d61b880145479da2bac5234ae31de.jpg

The next picture shows the finished mizzen topgallant stay and the two-legged sling (counterpart for the lanyard lashing), which is attached to the trestle trees.

DSC00221.thumb.jpg.ad7e50f2d524337f87ffe477a0305635.jpg

The lanyard for the lashing to fix the mizzen topgallant stay was set up with a simplified splice or fake splice (unfortunately I don't know the English name).

DSC00225.thumb.jpg.e6a6b5514c0bb5df0a831971e6326b79.jpg

DSC00231.thumb.jpg.4bf49d2aabc4e7a817ffe21218587264.jpg

In the last picture you can see the finished lanyard lashing. A corresponding enlargement in the cut-out at the top left.

DSC00236.thumb.jpg.ce6a11e973d7b69420118739658dd78e.jpg

Sequel follows … 

Edited by archjofo

@shipman

Thank you very much for the appreciation, 

and all ohters für the LIKES.

With unwavering perseverance and joy, here we go:

Continuation: Main topgallant stay - Étai grand mât de perroquet

Analogous to the mizzen topgallant stay, the main topgallant stay (ø 0.58 mm in 1:48 scale) is made and fixed, but it is not guided to the main top by a single block, but by a guide collar with integrated thimble.

The guide collar, consisting of a leg strop (ø 0.35 mm in model scale 1:48) with eye splices at the ends, was completely served. The following picture shows the serving machine with the finished stropp, into which the thimble was subsequently bound.

DSC00239.thumb.jpg.d83539a56c033a014aac05d9cac50d56.jpg

The next picture shows the finished arrangement of the main topgallant stay.

DSC00240.thumb.jpg.8e0f9b70c32cf3f3a7be3be3ee452efa.jpg

The leading collar is attached with a lashing around the main topgallant mast.

Before I could attach the main topgallant stay to the model, however, a small area had to be served where the lead-through is through the thimble of the guide collar. The main topgallant stay did not need this serving, because it was led through a block disk and therefore there was less danger of falling into the pubic.

Bramstengestag.thumb.jpg.092d7333281f1b534a3633011681286e.jpg 

Source: Atlas du Génie Maritime, Annexe Pl. 1

Finally, the lashing was made and the main topgallant stay was fixed to the two-legged strop in the top.

DSC00243.thumb.jpg.b97fc8d86c7445ffb17eb23811f8e33f.jpg

DSC00245.thumb.jpg.d5caa8c9e8792899f43c11dded175687.jpg

DSC00257.thumb.jpg.b6a4f5a69acdb78383c555a421876aad.jpg

See you soon 

Edited by archjofo

Simply amazing detail. It’s such a pleasure to follow your work. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

@Chuck

@mbp521

Hello Chuck,

hello Brian,

thank you for your positive comments and to all the others for the LIKES.

Continuation: Rigging work - height-adjustable work platform
Today I would like to say a few words about the design of the working platform as part of the further rigging work for my French corvette. 
Who doesn't try to design the working environment in such a way that one can work effectively and especially ergonomically advantageous. I have therefore followed with great interest the discussions that have taken place from time to time on this subject in various forums.
Especially when working on the rigging of a 1:48 scale model, one feels the need to adjust the height of the working area continuously, depending on the area of the rigging in which one is working. Adjusting the seat height or working on the model standing up has its limits. It is of course more obvious to raise or lower the model (actually even more important). 
As I plan to complete the difficult weaving of the shrouds in the near future, and also with a view to the further rigging work on the current property, I thought about how I could realise a stepless height adjustment of the model for my needs.
Inspired by the restoration workshop of the Musée national de la Marine in Paris, where scissor lift tables are used as working platforms for the ship models, I searched the net specifically for a similar solution. The work platforms used by the Paris museum cost up to several thousand euros, which of course was out of the question for me.

Muse_de_la_Marine_Arbeitsplattform.thumb.JPG.0cf03471b816ded5c36574f2fdcbd938.JPG

Source: Musée national de la Marine in Paris

After some time I found what I was looking for and bought a mini scissor lift table for relatively little money, as can be seen in the following pictures:

_DSC7762_forum.thumb.jpg.3da3423e718eea6231159907404f562b.jpg

_DSC7759_forum.thumb.jpg.21d04df1030a47b61e34a88271d9f9ad.jpg

The minimum height is about 35 cm, and the working platform can be raised or lowered continuously by foot pedal to about 87 cm with a small hydraulic cylinder. This height difference is more than sufficient for my purposes, as is the load capacity with 150 kg.
See you soon ...

Edited by archjofo

52 minutes ago, archjofo said:

@Arrojar

@ mbp521

Hola Chuck,

hola Brian

gracias por sus comentarios positivos ya todos los demás por los LIKES.

Continuación: Trabajo de aparejo: plataforma de trabajo de altura ajustable
Hoy me gustaría decir algunas palabras sobre el diseño de la plataforma de trabajo como parte del trabajo de aparejo adicional para mi corbeta francesa. 
¿Quién no intenta diseñar el entorno de trabajo de tal manera que se pueda trabajar de forma eficaz y especialmente ergonómicamente ventajosa? Por lo tanto, he seguido con gran interés las discusiones que se han producido de vez en cuando sobre este tema en varios foros.
Especialmente cuando se trabaja en el aparejo de un modelo a escala 1:48, se siente la necesidad de ajustar la altura del área de trabajo de forma continua, dependiendo del área del aparejo en el que se esté trabajando. Ajustar la altura del asiento o trabajar en el modelo de pie tiene sus límites. Por supuesto, es más obvio subir o bajar el modelo (en realidad, incluso más importante). 
Como planeo completar el difícil tejido de los obenques en un futuro cercano, y también con miras a los trabajos de aparejo adicionales en la propiedad actual, pensé en cómo podría realizar un ajuste de altura continuo del modelo para mis necesidades.
Inspirado en el taller de restauración del Musée national de la Marine en París, donde las mesas elevadoras de tijera se utilizan como plataformas de trabajo para los modelos de barcos, busqué en la red específicamente una solución similar. Las plataformas de trabajo utilizadas por el museo de París cuestan varios miles de euros, lo que, por supuesto, estaba fuera de mi alcance.

Muse_de_la_Marine_Arbeitsplattform.thumb.JPG.0cf03471b816ded5c36574f2fdcbd938.JPG

Fuente: Musée national de la Marine de París

Después de un tiempo encontré lo que estaba buscando y compré una mini mesa elevadora de tijera por relativamente poco dinero, como se puede ver en las siguientes imágenes:

_DSC7759_forum.thumb.jpg.21d04df1030a47b61e34a88271d9f9ad.jpg

La altura mínima es de unos 35 cm y la plataforma de trabajo se puede subir o bajar de forma continua con un pedal hasta unos 87 cm con un pequeño cilindro hidráulico. Esta diferencia de altura es más que suficiente para mis propósitos, al igual que la capacidad de carga con 150 kg.
Nos vemos pronto ...

What a great idea, let me copy your initiative, very practical and safe, I hope to find something similar in my country.

Jorge.

-HMS Tritón 1/48 1773 en scracht (TERMINADO)

-HMS Winchelsea 1/35  1764 full scracht (EN PROYECTO)

notpirate.png

Greg, I’ve been considering this for a long time since I have issues with vertebrae in my neck. 
Amazon has many Amazon Lift  as does Harbor Freight Harbor Freight lift   Most are designed for lifting motor cycles, so more that adequate for our purposes and just might prevent some neck and back strain. 

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Adjustable height desks/tables are hugely helpful in our hobby. It used to be that the only available options were expensive, motorized desks catering to professionals, but manually adjustable tables are now increasingly common. For those that can afford it, visit https://www.afcindustries.com/ if interested in a motorized desk.

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

Hi Johann. Out standing job sir and the scissor lift looks good. I built mine a few years ago and the only item that I purchase to build it was the electrical actuators and power supply which were less then 75 dollars I believe. You can find good ones on ebay and amazon. I used the wood that I had in the shop and I believe that was plywood. Has come in real handy and am always moving it up or down to just to get the right height. I wanted to buy one but like JD said, they are very expensive.  Since then I have put wheel's on it that fold up when am not moving it around which came from Rockler.  Gary

DSC_0008.JPG

@jdbondy

Hello,
thanks for your advice.

@garyshipwright

Hello Gary,
thank you for your appreciation.
you have an admirable workroom and the height-adjustable table looks very good too.
But, if I see it correctly, the lowering is limited.
For the work on the upper level of the rigg, it was also very important for me to be able to lower it down far enough.

Thanks Tony. I really enjoy working in the shop but because of all the honey do's hard to get to spend much time in there. With winter coming I just may get to spend more time in there. Thanks Johann. The table top goes down to 2 foot 6 inches from the floor so at the moment gives me about 4 feet to work on her above her upper deck. Figure if I need a lower table then that, I just get some shorter electrical actuators but thats for the future. Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Garnet tackle - Palan d'etai
The garnet tackle were generally used for loading goods, cannons and for lowering and hoisting boats.
With regard to the execution of the stage tack, there are differences between the graphic representation of J. Boudriot in the monograph and the original model in the Paris Museum compared to the model of La Créole.
LaCreole_Monographie_S125.thumb.jpg.566aa1c269130ee769d123a21e98ede3.jpg 
Source: Monograph La Creole by J. Boudriot pp. 125 and 126

Palans_de_etai_LaCreole_2.thumb.jpg.b0341743829c4f64186f4cfcd0ed1a2b.jpg 
Source: Monograph La Creole by J. Boudriot p. 101, photo detail of the original model

The execution of the garnet tackle documented in the Atlas du Génie maritime corresponds to the representation on the Paris model. Accordingly, I also do this on my La Créole model.
palans_de_etai_Altlas.thumb.jpg.e96d25d48594e246a72fc897e99ca174.jpg 
Source: Atlas du Génie maritime, annexe no.1, pl. 50

I was able to identify another garnet tackle on the photo of the original model. I will also represent this accordingly on my model.
I started the preparations for the appropriate arrangements of these rigging details with the production of the double and single blocks. A total of 6 double and 4 single blocks are to be produced. I determined the block size by scaling the drawings from the atlas in comparison with the block list from the monograph (dependency on the rope diameter), which ultimately fitted pretty well. Thus, the double blocks have a length of around 6.8 mm and the single blocks have a length of around 5.2 mm. The blocks were made in the manner that has meanwhile been tried and tested for me.

In this context I would like to emphasize that, from my point of view, it makes no sense to prepare the blocks in their entirety in advance. That would be several hundred blocks for this corvette. In the meantime I have laboriously learned that all these blocks have the most varied of sizes and shapes, depending on the purpose. There are also many differences in terms of their fittings and fastening. That's why I manufacture the blocks individually based on the respective detail section. Due to the complexity of rigging, any other approach does not seem expedient to me, unless one simplifies and differentiates less, which of course is at the expense of the level of detail. Ultimately, everyone has to decide for themselves.
 DSC00268.thumb.jpg.5304cc9ecf2f0b6cd70905a08069c7d6.jpg

DSC00270.thumb.jpg.43a5b1b0fee286d53ae4eae2176d50fb.jpg

As can be seen on the following drawing from the Atlas du Génie maritime, the French used heavy garnet tackle blocks with so-called swivel hooks (croc à émerillon).

Palans_de_etai_LaCreole_Atlas_Talje.thumb.jpg.2f1eb119b5495a6b8260d93e3cd661a5.jpg
Source: Atlas du Génie maritime, annexe no.1, pl. 2

Below is a picture collage for making the swivel hooks.

DSC00276.thumb.JPG.724c702a6b9060f109fba6f732f50b99.JPG

The majority of the required blocks, thimbles and hooks for the arrangements of the garnet tackle were made as far as can be seen in the next picture.

DSC00278.thumb.jpg.127581943e4925a6bc4e6f37df819e86.jpg

The manufactured brass parts are of course burnished to give them an iron-like appearance.
The next step is to make the garnet tackle. For this I still have to make the ropes in the appropriate strengths and serve. The necessary block strops must also be made.

Sequel follows …

Edited by archjofo

Amazing detail work, Johann!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

What beautifully made hooks and that you were able to make working swivel hooks is incredible. Johann, your work is always the gold standard of ship modeling.