HMS Dreadnought 1907 by RGL - FINISHED - Zvezda - 1/350- PLASTIC

• 2 weeks later...

I have added small vents to where the AOTS references them, the rear compass stand, two aftermarket winches (instead of the blobs provided), the coaling booms, affixed the main mast.post-253-0-05900700-1470810026_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-21829100-1470810031_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-58454500-1470810035_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-81659000-1470810040_thumb.jpg.

A big problem is that a LOT of the deck glue is going, requiring the application of glue to affix it properly. post-253-0-40482300-1470810105_thumb.jpg.

I have now added all the hatch covers bar one which is going to be sanded right back and re done due to a fail on my behalf, plus I added the breakwaters. Photos of those later once I have done up the ships boats.

Greg

That really is awesome ... I don't know what they are called, but those plastic tops for the ship's boats are fabulous. My what a fiddly work you've done ...

P.s. Quicker would be to use thicker rope on those drums ;)

:o wouldn't be in scale though

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Now, there are a LOT of ships boats. The kit provides some aftermarket and I've added a bit more just to be silly.post-253-0-97538800-1470810279_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-70669000-1470810288_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-33841400-1470810292_thumb.jpg

The row boats need to be hollowed out and some grates and planks added, post-253-0-89274200-1470810340_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-29531000-1470810345_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-37751100-1470810348_thumb.jpg

And finally the davits. The loop shown is supposed to be canvas strap which I'll remove and rig properly (to a point).

I am in the process of painting these now. post-253-0-14966500-1470810429_thumb.jpg

Greg

A great update Greg. The launches look fantastic with all the extra details.  Can't wait to see them painted up.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Looking great greg,  love all that detail in the small boats really adds to the ship.

OC

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi Greg, still on the road with little internet cover, but logged in today to fin all this great detail -you have been busy.  Your efforts have been worth it, those bits and pieces, and especially the boat look great.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks, small boats finished, just have to finish the Davits besides the bridge, half of them will be slung outboard on removable Davits as that's where they sit 'in harbour' not against the superstructure, and as I'm doing the torpedo nets they'll have to be done that way. Next will be making up chain for the anchors.

Greg

The large boats now added to the ship.

I think your definition of large and mine are not the same  :).

Looking really good.

I still have trouble working out how you manage to work at this scale. I'll keep watching though.

All the best,

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

OMG!!!

Amazing details and craftsmanship displayed in your build Greg!!

It is a pleasure to read it.

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

Getting there.

Next, the Anchors. The original photo shows no running plates for the anchor chain, but the instructions do. So I didn't do it.

post-253-0-52668200-1471338595_thumb.jpg  post-253-0-42121500-1471338630_thumb.jpg

The Kit provides a basic bit of blurry plastic, Pontos provides some blackened chain and befitting my OCD I went with North Star, using their patterned chain as is correct, a little bit out of scale, 2 days of pain. Seriously, my forearms and hands feel like a really good session on the heavy bag. At least one complete line is somewhere in my study of individual pieces flying around. I eventually figured out a technique using jewelers pliers, tweezers and back crams that worked, allowing me to close the loops so the thing does not fall to bits. .

post-253-0-74825400-1471338648_thumb.jpg post-253-0-76014400-1471339212_thumb.jpg post-253-0-88017100-1471338657_thumb.jpg

Next, the Capstans, just plonked on, fit and look OK.post-253-0-43574000-1471338681_thumb.jpg

Then the anchors again after market (the kit ones are rubbish) joined with a proper metal loop. post-253-0-39966000-1471338738_thumb.jpg

Next, threaded in and attached to the deck. I had earlier drilled out the holes. I am leaving one sitting at length as it makes sense to have it on the sea floor given there nets will be out. post-253-0-91977200-1471338853_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-48156600-1471338856_thumb.jpg

Next the stoppers; post-253-0-65242600-1471338910_thumb.jpg

Finally, the dandyfunk of vents, hawser covers, brakes and extra equipment boxes. post-253-0-80917700-1471339260_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-94979100-1471339269_thumb.jpg

Finally I'm at that impasse where I have to do the turrets and big guns that will go under the rigging and inside the rails.

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

Hi Greg, chain looks awesome, can only imagine the pain doing each link!

With regards to the 'original photo' in post #176 are you sure there is no running plate?  My eye keeps getting drawn to a black line running parallel to the side of the chain which is at a different angle to the plank line.  Near the capstan there is a sliver of a wedge of plank which to me suggests something is sitting on to of the planks.

Also wouldn't a chain running across the wood decks tear them up in no time.  I am no expert though just an observation.

Cheers

Slog

Edited by Captain Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bugger, you could be right. Damn those old photos, I have some from the bridge which don't show it either, but it could be a question of contrast and being below he chain itself, it's an easy fix now I think about it though. I will make a few attempts at rectifying it, but if it looks crap I'll probably omit it.

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

It seems Slog is right, it is sunken in the deck, without "standing" sides. It just slides over a flat bed ... you could try aluminum foil or very thin brass

Nice piece of juwelers work those chaines, you seem to have a nack for it ... might start selling necklaces ...

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Greg,

Curiosity got the better of me and did a google image search on the Dreadnought and appears that models with nothing under the chains is more often the case than having them.  Saying that I came across a superb build log similar to yours on an other site and he had placed photo etch strips.

I also came across an old photo from Pinterest which said it was the Dreadnought, but since it had super firing turrets obviously not, but it did have what looked like some kind of wide loose matting placed under the chains, whatever it was it didn't appear a permanent fixture. I found it interesting anyway.

If 'fixing' it means the lovely deck risks damage than I am sorry I spoke up. With or without, it won't detract from your stunning model.

Cheers

Slog

I think you'll find that Trumpeter, who makes the Dreadnought, makes about 4 versions at different stages of its life, and they include the plate, that being said, I was trying to be wary of what it was like in 1907, as there are lots of alterations after 1907. There are so few photos as I imagine it was very expensive way back then, even paintings from that era don't show a boot strap.

It makes perfect sense to have plate as it would make a mess. I will try some brass strip and also some plastic strip was well otherwise it will bother the hell out of me until I get it right. If I can spend 2 days making chain I can make a strip!

Greg