HMS Dreadnought 1907 by RGL - FINISHED - Zvezda - 1/350- PLASTIC

Now, the big guns and 12 pounders are finished. I won't bore you with the sequences, but like all piece work, it's just added bit by bit. I have also added strips under the anchor chain. Plus a few other old photos which are pretty cool.

Loving all the work greg she is looking superb.

OC

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

There is a special room in hell for the designers of the aerials on the dreadnought. The kit comes with spreaders, and I see most people try and use stretched sprue or thin metal wire, but trying to be consistent I used the ezyline. The first attempt came out like this.

attachicon.gifAerials 2.jpg

A little more thought and going cross-eyed because of the scale, I came up with this. attachicon.gifAerials 3.jpgattachicon.gifAerials 4.jpgattachicon.gifAerials 5.jpgattachicon.gifAerials 6.jpg

And hopefully I can end up with this. attachicon.gifAerials 1.jpg

I just have to attach them under tension now. Then I can finally ad some more rigging, and back to making progress.

Yikes and Gulp  that has made my eyes bleed  you are achieving amazing stuff.

OC

Current builds  

Completed works.

Oh dear... my eyes and brain hurt just looking that work...   Well done, Greg.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I can feel the pain in my eyeballs going through the synapses to my head's slushy mass. It feels like I'm looking at the brass parts of the Fokker DR1 at 1:72 I'm building on the side.  It looks the part ... it is the part. It is astonishing. If ever I need aerials like those I come back to this very build, Greg. 

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

It looks great though! All that hard and fiddly work paid off. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Great result from your persistence and efforts Greg; the aerials look great (and those designers can stay in their special room :))  What did you use to make the spreaders in the end?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I bet if you do a 200 scale kit like the HMS Hood one (please) it would be easy peasy for you with the extra scale,  Im only envious of your talent and skills.

OC

Current builds  

Completed works.

Considering how much even the really expensive aftermarket leaves out requiring even more internet shopping, I'm not going to go larger, as I have lots of spares now, yet alone the storage space required. It might force my hand into buying an airbrush as well which I have been putting off. This scale shows detail without the bulk.

Happy to watch others tackle the big stuff!

Greg

I am curious about how you put tension on the rigging without causing the masts to come tumbling down. I realize of course, that you probably must "tie off" a set of lines on each side of the pull at the same time so as to keep it (masts) upright. But still, it seems like one would need at least three hands to do all that. 

On my ship, there are some very flimsy horizontal photo etch pieces that attach to the mast. Pictures show that rigging should extend from these pieces to the bottom as well as the top of the masts. I just don't know how I will do that and at the same time keep those PE pieces safely glued to the masts.

Have you tried Ezyline? Very light, does not have to pull hard to get tension and if you knock it, it gives. Try a pinprick of CA to the joins on the rigging just to be sure. Basically very thin elastic bands.

I bought a couple of small sample pieces in 2 different diameters just to see which I might prefer for 1:350 scale. I must still buy a 100' roll once I am sure which size to use. If I remember correctly, the smallest size was .3mm and the next size up, .6mm. Probably the very smallest size is what I'll need.  

Really beautiful rigging

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

What do you mean by "Apparently it does not like sunlight" ? It gets brittle, stiffens, gets a lot of slack, etc

P.s. Your Ezyline is an Australian line for your laundry  :wacko:   :D  :D  :D  Seems it is EZ-line or EZ line. Sells in the UK too and should be available in different colours (daddyrabbit)

Carl

lovely work, love the rigging

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

hey greg, can I ask how you apply the zap a gap glue? do you squeeze some out of the bottle and dip into it? or do you squeeze straight out of the bottle as you need it? hope that makes sense? anyway I guess I am asking is how do you get the glue from the bottle, onto the model, then position the pe piece?

cheers

chris

Puddles of glue on a hard plastic surface, dip a pin in or an off it of brass etch the apply to either the piece I'm using or the place it's going (if that makes sense?). If it's load bearing I'll put a tiny drop on top of the piece that bears weight.

The pins get a build up of hard glue after a while which I burn off then sand back to a clean surface. Less is more with CA.

Like a tall ship, it's lots of pre prep, as one something has been painted off kit it will not fit as the tolerances are so small, if you paint something that fitted into a slot pre painted, it won't fit post painted, or it won't fit flush.

CA works best on unpainted etch or plastic but the result is usually crap after painting as the detail is lost, especially if you're going to have differing colours, so I try and do everything as piece work, and use a tiny bit of matte coat by hand on glossy bits of CA. I'm not a proponent of over spraying with a matte coat as at this scale it loses detail to my eye (I have very good close vision and it upsets my OCD).

I like to pre drill required holes then add eyelets afterwards otherwise the hole fills up with paint and you can't rig without having to risk major breakages clearing holes.

I hope this makes sense?

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

dip a pin in or an off it of brass etch the apply to either the piece I'm using or the place it's going (if that makes sense?)

What on earth do you mean, it sounds like double Dutch (which I should be able to decipher) as a DD (Daft Dutchman)

Carl