HMVS Cerberus 1870 by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Paper Shipwright - 1:250 - CARD

28 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

Only thing is to make sure you follow the directions to get correct flow-out and leveling, and you should see if they have an extender to slow drying time if you're applying it in warm weather. It dries plenty fast even with an extender/leveling agent.

I assume you are referring to applying by brush? This one comes in a 400gm spray can with a very fine spray nozzle for even application.

Thanks for the info on the number of coats - that was going to be my next question :D .

BTW - warm weather is not going to be a problem in the near future. We're heading into winter down here, and it can drop below freezing. I have reverse-cycle aircon though :D .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

No, it's too fast-drying in general to be a good brush finish, I've sprayed it whenever I use it. If the temp gets much above 70 degrees F you start to need an extender to give it time to flow out and level before the surface starts hardening.

But if it's in a spray can you're not going to be adding anything to it anyway, so no worries.

It sands very well (cellulose after all) wet if you give it time to dry. Guitar makers would say min 24 hours for that and I agree, it will be gummy if you try to sand too early.

Thanks for the extra info vossiewulf, much appreciated. I intend to spray all the sheets of my next model as soon as I get them, so they'll have plenty of time to dry before sanding while I start on the hull framing (or spend a week looking at the plans :D ).

I've rolled and glued all six Air Ventilators. I'm reasonably happy with the results, considering their size. They look pretty good without magnification :D . I tried my hand at dry-brushing the yellow one, using Artist's Acrylic straight from the tube. The Yellow Ochre is a pretty good match for the printed colour. I'll give it another coat or two before fitting :

Deck Ventilators.JPG

The Skylights were a step up from anything I've made so far. They haven't turned out perfect, but acceptable. I learned a few new techniques while constructing these which will come in handy later on :) :

Skylights (1).JPG

Skylights (2).JPG

These are the parts for the Capstan. I'm getting rather good at cutting tiny circles, if I say so myself :D . The one on the right is only 1mm in diameter:

Capstan.JPG

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

The Capstan has been made and fitted. I'm not totally satisfied with it, and I may pull it back off and do a bit more work to it :

Capstan (1).JPG

Capstan (2).JPG

I came up with an idea to improve the round edges of the skylights to make them completely round. I wiped some CA around the edge and sanded it to shape - MUCH better :) . This is what I'm thinking of doing with the Capstan, although I'm in two minds. Maybe I should leave it "warts and all" to show the gradual improvement in my card modelling skills? BTW - I touched up the paintwork on the skylights after I took this pic :

Skylights.JPG

Some Progress Pics with the recent additions fitted :

Progress (1).JPG

Progress (2).JPG

Progress (3).JPG

The Capstan Rollers. There are 10 layers of paper in each one. They will be getting the CA/sanding trick when they dry :

Rollers.JPG

Cheers, Danny

30 minutes ago, Jim Lad said:

Danny, if you're not completely satisfied with that capstan, then have another go at it - otherwise it will continue to bug you for ever.

Yeah, you're probably right John. There are a LOT of things I'm not completely happy with, but I'm using this model as a training exercise for my next one :D  .

I thought I'd take a pic with my giant oversize fake hand ;) :

Hand.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Thanks for looking in John and Rick.

The finished Rollers. The one on the right has had the CA/sanding treatment and been dry-brushed with black acrylic. It looks 100% better than before :) :

Rollers (1).JPG

All four fitted to the deck :

Rollers (2).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Thanks John :) .

Question for Slog - is the AOTS book of Bismarck worth buying? I've seen a few negative Reviews regarding accuracy.

Cheers, Danny

The Stoppers, or Anchor Chain Guides if you like, are next. Some delicate cutting and folding required :

Stoppers.JPG

I kept looking at the Steam Vent (?) pipe and decided to attempt a re-do. You decide if it's an improvement :D :

Steam Vent (2).JPG

Steam Vent (1).JPG

Steam Vent (3).JPG

Cheers, Danny

4 hours ago, Dan Vad said:

Thanks John :) .

Question for Slog - is the AOTS book of Bismarck worth buying? I've seen a few negative Reviews regarding accuracy.

Hi Danny

your new steam pipe looks much better. 

RE Bismarck book I was lucky to pick it up in a sale somewhere. Not sure of its accuracy. I got it more for the 'iron work' as the GPM Bismarck doesn't really give details on this as it's part of the print. I really can't say if worth getting or not as I never got round to using it for my intended purpose. I think I would go for the 3D rendered book if doing it again. 

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

50 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

I think I would go for the 3D rendered book if doing it again.

I guess you mean THIS ONE ? I hope so, because I just ordered it :D . $31.81 with FREE SHIPPING from the UK - gotta love that, it's cheaper than the AOTS book :D .

Cheers, Danny

Now I'm really starting to go beyond the contract :D - this is the wheel for one of the three Pumps. It's 5mm in diameter, and double thickness 160gsm paper. I don't know if they expected the builder to cut out the inside pieces but I had a go at it anyway - successfully :D . Being double thickness and printed on the reverse side as well I couldn't use CA to stiffen the paper as it took all the print off on a test piece, so it was all cut in the "raw" state. I used the tiny chisel in the pic to cut the inside of the rim - it's not much wider than a sheet of paper :o . After I cut it out I dipped it in CA to strengthen it in preparation for what I thought was going to me a fairly major clean-up. All it needed was a light sand on both sides with extra-fine wet-and-dry - YAY. Then I dry-brushed it Matt Black :

IMG_3475.JPG

IMG_3476.JPG

EDIT - After thinking about it a bit more I realised that I COULD stiffen the paper with CA before cutting it out, as long as I applied it on the BACK of the piece. I'm painting them anyway, so it doesn't matter if the print comes off the back. A test piece proved that as long as I was careful it didn't affect the printing on the front side, so I still had lines I could follow :) .

Cheers, Danny

38 minutes ago, Jim Lad said:

Now it's getting ridiculous, Danny! :o

Isn't it just :D . In fact, I had at look at the completed demonstration models on the Paper Shipwrights site - one has the wheel with a solid centre, the other leaves it off altogether :D :

Completed 1a.jpg

Completed 2a.jpg

Remember, this is a practice ship for improving my paper modelling skills. I may as well try a few things out now before the real thing starts. Although I doubt there will be paper details this small on Bismarck - I'd guess they'd be replaced with PE.

Cheers, Danny

1 hour ago, amateur said:

The second one is different on a lot of details (and major parts also).

Perhaps the wheel isn't missing because they couldn't make it as they wanted :)

Jan, they are from different time periods in the ship's history. Perhaps she had a different pumping system on the one in the 2nd pic? The 2nd one is the more recent version.

Well, using CA on the backs of the pieces before cutting was a success. It was a lot easier (relatively speaking :) ) to cut the wheel legs. Only two more to do :rolleyes: . It looks like I've glued the wheel in crooked - not so. There is a Crank system similar to the Chain Pumps on older ships to be made and fitted, the wheel is at an angle to clear the other deck fittings. All will be revealed later on :) :

Pumps (3).JPG

Pumps (4).JPG

I've also made and fitted four Bollards :

Bollards.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Hey howya goin Danny mate, shes coming along nicely.    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

8 hours ago, Dan Vad said:

Although I doubt there will be paper details this small on Bismarck - I'd guess they'd be replaced with PE.

ahem

http://www.papirove-modely.cz/velkynahled/173530

this here, my friend, is a part of cockpit of the arado plane, from bismarck. and there are parts even smaller. the red "thing" next to it, is a painted tic-tac candy. there are a-a guns that are made off like 20 parts, most of them are too small to grab in your hand.

picture is a courtesy of Martanek411, who is building Bismarck, yamato, Tirpitz, scharnhorst and hood at the same time. what can i say, masochist at the least...

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

your getting the hang of it ;)   it looks great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

7 hours ago, maaaslo said:

a-a guns that are made off like 20 parts, most of them are too small to grab in your hand.

Impressive Pav, but I won't be going there as my eyes and hands aren't what they used to be. Although, considering thickness, my Pumps weren't much bigger than those bits :) .

THESE are the replacement Photo-Etch guns, courtesy of Captain Slog ;) , the same as I'll be making.

Cheers, Danny

4 hours ago, Dan Vad said:

THESE are the replacement Photo-Etch guns, courtesy of Captain Slog ;) , the same as I'll be making.

Hi Danny

believe me they will give your eyes a work out 65+ parts for each gun !

cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

27 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

believe me they will give your eyes a work out

Might be time to update my magnifying visor :D .

Cheers, Danny

9 minutes ago, maaaslo said:

Dan, have you decided which Bismarck you going to build? Halinski, gpm, jsc, maly modelarz? Or perhaps one of the free versions?

Hi Pav, the GPM Bismarck (with all the extra PE sets etc) has already been ordered and paid for and is hopefully in transit somewhere between Poland and Australia :D . According to Slog it usually takes around two weeks for orders to arrive, so by the end of next week ....... :)

Cheers, Danny