The Hayling Hoy 1760 by Stuntflyer (Mike) - 1:48 scale

Mike,

I am stunned and don't know what to say...........

I am out of word...... I am tryin to learn from you. Beautiful work!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thank you all for your comments and "Likes"

Continuing on with the stern framing requires that the fashion pieces be added. The feet of these pieces sit in the scores that were made earlier to the inner post. They are not the same shape since the one on the port side has a "timber loading port". A small filler piece was added to create the lower sill. Two vertical posts were added to define sides of the port. The angle where the pieces join the wing transom needed to be established and there was some beveling done on the inner face. I had fun making them!

_DSC7189_sfw.thumb.jpg.94f45d02926dbe3fae469189dce481ea.jpg

I left a generous amount of wood outside for the fairing later.

_DSC7194_sfw.thumb.jpg.3d91418f0a0e67b4d531573a69b943a5.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

With the the stern framing completed, I'm ready to work on the 7 aft cant frames.

They are all doubled with no scarph joints or chocks. Basically sections glued together with butt joints. To be safe, all of the sections are cut slightly past the line and double checked over the drawing before gluing them together. Here I have completed the assembly of aft cant No.1 (AC 1) port side.

_DSC7197.thumb.jpg.187a0b5e85ce63d698a71c4fa716b299.jpg

In order for it to line up properly, a score must be made on the aft side where it meets the wing transom. This is because it has not been faired yet and must be moved in a bit at the top. A bevel has been created where it will sit against the deadwood. My disc sander has an accurate adjustable table that makes this an easy process.

_DSC7223.thumb.jpg.9215a9bc4b0e29b891f2338b79f4c5d5.jpg

Installing the frames was done with the aid of a 90° jig that was made from plywood. Clamps and a rubber band hold it securely in place.

_DSC7215.thumb.jpg.2cfd7de21605aecc7b8709e756d10202.jpg

The score in the frame allows for the proper alignment with the drawing.

_DSC7227_sfw.thumb.jpg.26ee0632f4b589d980807ab320b4ff6b.jpg

_DSC7219.thumb.jpg.5b06d098fbe797a15dd0fa08d636f284.jpg

_DSC7229_sfw.thumb.jpg.b7707e820a2ececce6b6e4caebed52ac.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Your workmanship is unbelievable.  Excellent!

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the kind words, ken and for the "Likes"!

I now have four of the seven aft cants completed, though I'm still developing my preferred method of making them. Before moving onto the remaining three, I need to do a rough fairing inside the hull. There is a lot of wood to remove, especially on the two aft most cants. The outside of the hull will not be sanded or faired until all the framing is completed. Gonna be a while.

_DSC7234_sfw.thumb.jpg.6d9b7046d3ea9c19a01d4e6259b08f5b.jpg

_DSC7241_sfw.thumb.jpg.310303fe3a5776bbb2b25ae224789360.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

first rate work, nice joints!

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. I'm waiting for a new riffler file to arrive to handle some of the inside fairing work. Meanwhile, frame making continues.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

I have completed an internal rough fairing of the first four aft cants. Lots and lots of filing, sanding, etc. This before and after photo should show just how much wood needed to be removed. The structure is quite strong with AC 1 glued to the wing transom and small spacers glued between the toptimbers. This allowed me to use chisels and coarse riffler files without fear of breakage.

_DSC7234-73_sfw.thumb.jpg.152953807456de50cf3931d4a67860b3.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Cliff, this is what I used.

https://contenti.com/901-die-sinkers-riffler-files

https://contenti.com/no-604-silversmith-s-riffler

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

• 2 weeks later...

Frame making continues with the completion of the seven aft cants.

While fairing the last three aft cants, AC 5-7, it occurred to me that I had no idea as to where the stop line would be for the forward most one, AC 7. My solution was to use the square body frame just forward AC 7 for marking out a reference line to fair to. I tried making a few square body test frames a while back. Needless to say, improvements have been made and are on-going. I will explain how I make them when I start to produce them in quantity.

With the square body frame in place, a reference line is drawn slightly above its edge onto AC 7. If you look at the port side you can see just how much wood needs to be removed, including those frames previously faired.

_DSC7283.thumb.jpg.73fd3c924ceee38cbe2055c84a661b50.jpg

The square body frame has been removed and fairing can continue.

_DSC7282.thumb.jpg.4cfadef2a58ac83b7ed4d47f654c32db.jpg

With the starboard side fairing completed I can now place a batten anywhere and get a smooth run. It's probably too much finish work at this stage however, I don't mind the extra work as I find it quite enjoyable. Fairing a few frames at a time rather than all at once gives one a lot more room to work. My hand was outside the hull most of the time. Now its on to the port side. I see that I need to cut down that too tall toptimber on the port side too, Ooops!

_DSC7294.thumb.jpg.72e01627d1f1f459288c0341916ebdc4.jpg

_DSC7295.thumb.jpg.eb52ea98e63223ae6679ded11d481855.jpg

For this work I prefer using hard edge tools along with the Dremel rather than sandpaper

_DSC7296.thumb.jpg.49b61a2e8336fc117a88c095ac5c6456.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Looking very good, Mike, but leave a little extra 'meat' for final fairing in. It's awfully hard to glue wood back on again....

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

druxey,

I removed just enough wood to reach a faired state and not a bit more. Lower timberheads around 9" or 9 1/2". Timberhead tops between 7 1/2" and 9". I'm hoping that's good.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

• 4 weeks later...

The first of seven fore cants was made and installed. I was careful in making sure that it was vertical and at the correct angle to the keel. Rather than using my homemade 90° plywood jig, I now find it easier to align the cants with just two machinist squares and a little hand holding. The trick is to establish the exact angle needed at the foot of the cant and hold it down securely to the stepping line while the glue quickly sets.

Once the cant frame was installed I started to work on the Bollard timbers and hawse pieces. I ended up making three sets before I was satisfied with the shape and fit. Luckily, they don't require using a lot of wood.

_DSC7375_sfw.thumb.jpg.f7851d6a656ff5bfb11e747fdc3472df.jpg_DSC7377_sfw.thumb.jpg.e7c9a05af3e4c35e5355c54132bbbce8.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

That is looking really nice Mike. For me that is one of the hardest parts of a POF build.

Congratulations and well done! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

That's exquisite work, Mike! If it weren't for the grain it would be hard to tell the bollard and hawse timbers were from several pieces. I also use just two machinists squares when setting the frames. Much easier to reference the maximum height of breadth from the building board.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Beautiful work, Mike.  Cannot wait to see more.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Just catching up Mike, beautiful clean work.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

The bollard timbers and hawse pieces are now completed. I left room for final fairing later on after all the frames are in. I didn't notice it earlier, but it appears that the upper limit of the air spaces should be shaped to a point and not square. Guess I will need to come up with a solution to achieve that and not do damage to any of the work already done.

_DSC7515_sfw.thumb.jpg.1aa7c72e770ea85951116dadc1011ba4.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer