Cannon Jolle 1801 by ccoyle - FINISHED - Master Korabel - 1/72 scale - Swedish gunboat

9 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

Those hems look like a single fold (and did you glue panels or simulate the stitches with scouring?), did you do anything to pretreat the cloth? I may be using garbage material but when I cut it I get a terribly frayed edge.

At this scale, yes, I used a single fold; double folds are fine for 1/64 or larger. No stitching, just penciled and scored panel lines. I ironed the cloth before drawing the sail outlines (taken from the plans) and cut out the sails with my wife's sewing shears (an expensive pair that she's had for many years). Fraying edges can be a problem, which is why double-folds are usually necessary, but with sails this small I was able to get away with it.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

sorry I'm a bit late......catching up on all the logs I follow is a daunting task {we have a very prolific bunch of modelers here}.  I would imagine that this vessel is lanteen rigged.   if I'm correct,  the yards would be in the lowered position and the sails would be 'gathered' on the yards.   they would be removed when at port,  where they can be repaired if needed.  sounds logical  ;)   the sails came out super........you had to make another yard too.   I recently lost a part too.......the first one that I have no idea where it went.  it isn't the fact that I had to order another set of wheels {bomber},  but the idea that there may be a black hole in our computer room :wacko:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

they make a glue for fabric.   when I make sails,    after they are cut out,  I atomize them with diluted white glue.   after they are sewn,  I get them damp of repeat the process and lay them on a rolled up towel to billow them out.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

47 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

they make a glue for fabric.

Yes, I know of the stuff -- I'm just too lazy to go and buy any. 😉  I used Aleen's Tacky Glue.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Glad you did them, the new ones are at least as good as the old ones.

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

No pictures for this post, but I've been making a little progress each day. Yards are now hoisted, and I'm preparing to set up sheets and tacks. The Big Reveal is not far off!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Sails hung and yards trimmed. Moving right along! I plan to use the Russian name plaque in my display (why not? it's paid for) and picked out the letters with some white paint. I also ran short of the 0.4 mm thread thanks to having to re-do the sails; fortunately, I had some similar thread in my spare materials stash. I don't think the slight difference in color will be all that noticeable.

1467918683_gbconstruction23.thumb.jpg.866660efa2778dedfa888ab4e556d51d.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Lovely work, Chris.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks really good Chris.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Sorry for the lack of progress, but I'm having an absolute booger of a time with rope coils -- a combination of tiny scale and bad line (as discussed earlier) with excessive memory. Every one is a titanic struggle; have six done so far. Bleh. 😟

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

The struggle is real -- got all rope coils done (not the best I have ever done) and finished port side oar gallows. It was a very tight fit trying to get rigging thread through the stanchions. I had to drill out some of the holes larger -- after they were already glued onto the model.

Off to bed now!

279148762_gbconstruction24.thumb.jpg.21c4f9222837d70298d4bbfcedec7856.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Aaaaaand ... done. Will follow up soon with additional pics and final thoughts. Believe it or not, this is the first wooden kit I have completed in over a decade. 😮 397212973_gbconstruction25.thumb.jpg.adf7bd194849f2b4ea0b4a9a0f8a9df0.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Looks great Chris.  I didn't realize you hadn't done a wood model in 10 years.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful work!  Looks like after ten years you didn’t miss a beat. 😊

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Looks great Chris.  I didn't realize you hadn't done a wood model in 10 years.  

Yes, time flies, doesn't it? A lot of card models between now and then, but not wood.

7 hours ago, Duanelaker said:

Beautiful work!  Looks like after ten years you didn’t miss a beat. 😊

Oh, I missed a few, but they're not as noticeable in 1/72 scale. 😉 Thanks, though!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Lovely boat Chris, those 10years don't seem to have made a difference 😃

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

THE BIG REVEAL

Okay, final thoughts on this project along with some nice photos.

• I bought this kit initially because I wanted something fast and relatively easy to build. The "fast" part didn't work out as planned, thanks to life getting in the way. The "easy" part, well ...
  • ... the hull, for the most part was easy to build, and the folks at MK have been innovative in designing hull structures that go together well and lock up tight. I loved the laser-cut planking -- some guys dig spiling, and others just like to put things together. I'm in the latter category. 1/72 scale did prove to be a challenge in a few instances. It's remarkable how big a difference there can be in the ease or difficulty of making a particular assembly in 1/72 scale versus even 1/64.
  • The finished model looks really sharp and looks good either painted or left in the natural. The wood and metal parts are top-shelf. Plans are good, and directions were mostly clear despite the few inevitable mysteries of translation.
  • The rigging line, on the other hand, gave me fits, resulting in rigging tasks that took far longer than they should have. I understand the compromises that must be made in order to make a kit profitable, but the rigging line is definitely the fly in this kit's ointment. I hope that the MK boys will give some thought to looking at alternative sources for rigging line.
  • The guys at MK are very responsive to a builder's needs -- they get an A+ for customer relations.
  • Overall, I give this kit 4 out of five stars, only because of the rigging line, otherwise I can give the kit a hearty recommendation -- just replace the rigging line. 😉 I'm really looking forward to seeing what Evgeniy and his crew bring to market in the near future.

And now for pictures!

794371291_finished1.thumb.jpg.6e0f8cd475e0789685a358e99df9c69f.jpg

891339343_finished2.thumb.jpg.709133f5d4b3fe9542eb876ae559a327.jpg

376009125_finished3.thumb.jpg.62026e7975edf11de47ce18feb9306f1.jpg

731487521_finished4.thumb.jpg.03a17ec95b1ba4b2bc247e3b90d36287.jpg

1843386164_finished5.thumb.jpg.d47db8d9689825fa6e3949e36bd960b3.jpg

886211335_finished6.thumb.jpg.eae732ad989ca32a94c46a04f6b28c81.jpg

73369252_finished7.thumb.jpg.bf2036a34d653c74080be0ead280f86d.jpg

281256644_Finished8.thumb.jpg.235c4044e6c8471b731992f30b66dc5a.jpg

Thanks, Master Korabel, for bringing this little gem to market!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 weeks later...

One final picture. I wanted to find a case option for this little model that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Most small cases found at hobby and craft stores have dimensions meant for cars, trains, or sports memorabilia, i.e. usually too wide and/or too short for a given length. I finally found this case at a local Michael's crafts store. It is a football display case, hence the mirrored back, and it might be a tad too large, but for only $30 I thought it was quite suitable. There was a little plastic holder for a football inside the case, but happily it was only secured with some two-sided tape. I think I will keep an eye open for a small wooden base to go inside the case to elevate the model slightly, and I will also order a brass nameplate.

cased.thumb.jpg.1c3c2dfc5f77b83dadf093694ebe62f0.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

fitting that you put her in a case Chris..........she's a stellar looking model!   very nicely done ........congratz! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1 hour ago, VTHokiEE said:

What are the dimensions on that case?

12.5" L x 7.5" W x 7.6" H, as reported on their website. I assume they mean external dimensions.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

• 2 years later...