HMS Atalanta by tlevine - FINISHED - 1775 - 1:48 scale - from TFFM plans

Thank you gentlemen.  I hope to get the rhodings  and brake pumps made this weekend.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

I held off on fabricating the brake pumps because of their fragility and small size.  I know I will lose them so they will be made when I am ready to install them.  My approach to the rhodings is not quite prototypical.  Because they are black and the axletree is also black, detail is difficult to see, so I went for ease of construction.  The rhoding on the main jeer bitt is a simple brass strap that has been cinched around the axletree and glued to the bitt.  There is a spacer block between the main topsail sheet bitt and the rhoding.  The spacer block is wood that has been shaped and painted black.  The rhoding is another brass strap.  I have drilled the bitt to represent the bolts holding the spacer block/rhoding assembly.  In the picture these have not been blackened yet.

post-262-0-58368900-1441666201_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-57815600-1441666202_thumb.jpg

I put together another short length of chain and inserted it into the port pump tube.

post-262-0-67768700-1441666200_thumb.jpg

There are two athwartship bulkheads aft.  So far, everything on the starboard side has been left open to highlight the structure.  I am changing course and building the bulkheads port and starboard.  I am toying with the idea of furnishing these cabins.  First, stubs of deck planking are laid to support the bulkhead. Then, card templates are made.  The bulkhead will be made sandwich fashion, with outer wood planking and a "meat" of template. There is a big color difference between the old and new planking.  All this planking came from the same sheet of holly.  The rest of the planking was installed in July, 2014 (page 29 of this log).  Since I will not be  permanently installing the bulkheads for some months, hopefully the colors will blend together.

post-262-0-93626300-1441666199_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-68687500-1441666197_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-77463400-1441666198_thumb.jpg

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

I like that approach, Toni.  Gives a sense of the decking without hiding things.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

G'day Toni

What you're doing is very logical to me (anyway, I'm no where advance at you and a lot of other members). Keep on keeping on mate.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Don't worry; the new holly will tone down to match the older planking. 

I like the view of the chain leading into the tube seen through the side of the cistern. Nice!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Greg, Mark, thank you.  Druxey, I felt the same way until I was rummaging through a pile of wood and found a piece of holly marked "save for deck planking". The color is a little darker and will be a much better match.  So, time to remove the new decking and install the new-new decking.

Toni

The view into the cistern and the top of the pump tube is great!

Maury

• 2 weeks later...

I have started the capstan.  The diameter of the capstan on the Atalanta plans (as well as the Fly) is larger than shown in TFFM Vol 2, which represents Pegasus.  I redrew the capstan to reflect this.  The first thing I did was look at Greg's pictures in TFFM Vol 3.  Next, I re-read Dan's tutorial for Vulture's capstan.  Finally, I put wood to machine.  

After several years of threatening, I finally took the plunge and bought a Sherline mill.  I already own their lathe and so saved some money by using the motor from the lathe.  It takes less than two minutes to swap it out and that includes walking from one end of the house (where I have the lathe in my workshop) to where I set up the mill (better natural lighting this time of year).  I used English boxwood for the barrel and whelps to provide a subtle color contrast between the capstan and the framing.  The barrel wood has a few checks in it but the flaws will be hidden under the whelps.  The whelps are of good clear wood.

I took a square piece of boxwood and rounded it down to eight sides, like one would do for a mast.  I do not own a 4-jaw chuck and this made holding the wood blank easier in the 3-jaw chuck.  In the lathe, I turned the blank to the proper dimensions. I made all three sections longer than necessary to make sure there was sufficient length for final assembly.  

post-262-0-81894900-1443135582_thumb.jpg

Now I was able to play with the new toy!  The upper barrel is divided into 12 sections for the 6 whelps and the lower barrel is divided into 10 sections for 5 whelps.  I mounted the blank onto a rotary table so that all of the sections could be milled to the same width.  The flats were milled while supporting the end of the blank to prevent downward deflection.  The upper and lower sections were then cut away from the central round section.

post-262-0-46879600-1443135595_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-54017300-1443135607_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-28979500-1443135618_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-01174700-1443135627_thumb.jpg

The next things to make were the whelps.  The upper and lower whelps are different in shape and width.  I traced the outline onto the end of a piece of boxwood, orienting the whelp along the grain. The blank was mounted into the vise, which was attached to a tilt table. The first one took over an hour (but half of that time was figuring out the correct setup); the second one took 30 minutes.  They will be sliced off the loaf when I am ready to install them.

post-262-0-63779600-1443135641_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-91583100-1443135656_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-71499200-1443135667_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-10451400-1443135678_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-61471400-1443135688_thumb.jpg

Toni

Nice machining, Toni.  And another excellent tutorial to tuck away.. :)

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Lovely work, Toni. Working out the setups on the mill is fun, isn't it? Takes much longer than the actual machining.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Toni:

Great work.  Like Greg says, the set up takes the time - but great results are being achieved.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Thanks gentlemen.  My only regret is that I did not purchase this toy a few years ago.  Now on to the chocks.

Toni

Not only did you buy the machine, Toni, I see you bought a few attachments to along with it.  Bravo on that wise decision.  And bravo on going Sherline.  And bravissimo on the work!

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by Martin W

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

I love my Sherlines too :D .

If you are going to buy the 4-jaw chuck you'll be torn between the self-aligning one and the "normal". Both have their uses - the self-aligning is particularly good when you have square stock to turn as it needs no careful adjusting. I have both.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks, Martin.  Danny, can you give me an example of the use for the "normal" 4-jaw chuck?  I had planned on the self-aligning.

Toni

I think Dan meant an independent jawed chuck, instead of self-centering.

Correct. The independent 4-jaw chuck is used for stock that isn't square. You need to adjust each jaw seperately.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Nice job done Toni.  I have an independant jaw chuck and it comes in handy with rectangular shapes.

David B

I am leaning toward the self-centering chuck as I see myself utilizing this more with the lathe.  Since I have a mill vise, as long as two sides are parallel I can securely hold anything for milling.  

Toni

For what it's worth I have the self centering chuck from Sherline and its worked very well for me. As long as the piece is secure in the chuck with a live center in tail stock you can easilyturn irregular pieces of stock material.

Edited by dvm27

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 4 weeks later...

I got to see up close this model at the NRG conference in Mystic, stunning!

Gave me a lot of ideas for Pegasus.

Thanks for taking her Toni.

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

It has been a long time since any work has occurred on Atlanta.  I finally had some time to dedicate to her this weekend.  It is amazing what a surprise foot of snow will do to any outdoor plans!

The next part of the capstan to tackle was installing the whelps.  I have a little saw that I purchased at the NRG meeting in 2014.  The blade is the size of a double edge razor blade and it cuts very easily through wood with minimal jaggedness at the edges.  I also have a micro-miter box for it.

post-262-0-69651300-1448222582_thumb.jpg

The sides of the whelps are notched to accept the capstan spacers.  I was able to accurately cut the top of the notch using the saw and micro-miter box.  The rest of the notches were cut freehand.

post-262-0-66968000-1448222592_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-83742600-1448222603_thumb.jpg

Now it was simply a matter of gluing the whelps to the barrels.  After taking these pictures I realized that one of the whelps was not aligned correctly.  It has since been corrected.

post-262-0-68168500-1448222560_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-14355800-1448222570_thumb.jpg

Toni

The next step was to make the drum heads.  These were made from degame.  My choice of this wood was simple...  It was the only piece of wood large enough for the job.  Degame is brittle to work with hand tools but machines well without burning.  The drum head blanks are made from two pieces of degame glued together and turned to the correct diameter on the lathe.  Slices were taken from the blank for the upper and lower halves of the drum head and then were glued back onto the blank for milling.  The first task was to mill the slots for the capstan poles.  There are five openings on the lower drum head and ten on the upper.  The halves were then glued together and glued back onto the blank.

post-262-0-07132600-1448223582_thumb.jpg  post-262-0-85825300-1448223592_thumb.jpg

There are recesses in the drum head for an iron reinforcing band.  These were milled using the rotary table.  The lower drum head is flat and the upper one has a second step milled to make it fancier.

post-262-0-65630100-1448223602_thumb.jpg  post-262-0-48436800-1448223613_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-57371500-1448223626_thumb.jpg  post-262-0-18827700-1448223638_thumb.jpg

The side of the lower drum head is flat and the upper one is recessed.

post-262-0-10568600-1448223650_thumb.jpg  post-262-0-08778600-1448223661_thumb.jpg

As a final step, the drum heads are glued onto their respective barrels.

post-262-0-72454000-1448223673_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-18489900-1448223686_thumb.jpg

Toni

The iron reinforcing bands were made out of very thin slices taken off the blank.  These were then glued back on and the correct width was milled.

post-262-0-26673800-1448224235_thumb.jpg  post-262-0-68827800-1448224248_thumb.jpg

I used an archival marker to blacken the bands and inserted them into the drumheads.

post-262-0-89772500-1448224260_thumb.jpgpost-262-0-39641700-1448224271_thumb.jpg

Toni