I ordered some saw blades from Thurston for my Byrnes and Preac saws this week and got the attached letter.  They are closing.  They have stopped manufacturing and are staying open to clear out their stock.  Sad - they have been in operation for 136 years, and make great blades.  When I asked about other companies making similar products, the sales person told me about Malco (also based in RI - https://www.malcosaw.com/).  Looks like they make similar sized blades, but she could not attest to quality.

Dave

THURSTON CLOSURE LETTER.pdf

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

Dave, Thanks for the heads-up.  I bought some replacement blades and had to take some "similar" ones as they are selling out.  Too bad about having to close (they can't find anyone who wants to learn the business).

Maury

This has become a too-frequent occurrence. 136 years and done under by, among other things, steel tariffs. 'Nuff said.

It isn't a phenomenon limited to modeling, but modeling is as good a "canary in the coal mine" as any. Floquil and Humbrol paints... extinct. Linen threads... on the "endangered species list." Milled modeling wood... "threatened." The list goes on and on. It's the same in full-sized traditional boatbuilding and in just about every other craft around.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

I'm saddened to hear this as I have been using their blades exclusively.  I hope that for us modelers (and other users of small saw blades) that Malcosaw is up to Thurston's standards.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:01 PM, mtaylor said:

I'm saddened to hear this as I have been using their blades exclusively.  I hope that for us modelers (and other users of small saw blades) that Malcosaw is up to Thurston's standards.   

I googled their web site. At a glance, they don't appear to have the same selection as Thurston did, but it looks like they have stuff that's close enough to get by.

• 2 weeks later...

Malco saw has some great stuff.  I have used them before. And i have used Thurston but honesyly, over the last year or so I have been very unhappy with tThurston blades.  The last two orders i got from thurston forced me to leave and try Malco.

The Thurston blades were so dull I figured they were used and not resharpened properly.

In contrast, the blades from Malco were razor sharp and cut even boxwood like butter.  I am a convert and very very happy with Malco blades.  Wish I had switched years ago.

• 2 months later...

Chuck,

I am certainly pleased to hear this.  I have been using Thruston blades for over 25 years now.  Will check out the Malco source right now.  Thanks for the update.

Bill

Current Build:

Kate Cory Scratch Built

Previous Builds:

Benjamin W. Latham Scratch Built

H A Parks Skipjack Scratch Built

Charles W. Morgan Model Shipways Kit

Rattlesnake Model Shipways Kit

Diligence Model Shipways Kit

• 3 weeks later...

I've used Malco too with success.   Another mfg would be Niagara.   They make top quality tooling.  I've used their blades and was one of their distributors for 25 years in another life.  Usually sold through industrial distrbutors like MSC Industrial Direct.

Update - Just did some searching and it looks as though Niagara no longer sells saw blades.

Jeff Hayes 

HobbyMill 

Edited by Boatsinc2000

Jeff

aka HobbyMill

NRG Member

Current Build: Constitution

I just received an order from Malco for blades for my Byrnes and Preac saws. They are beautifully made and cut through hardwood like butter. Thanks for the lead Chuck!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

which blade did you end up getting for general ripping of boxwood?  Did you get .030 kerf blade?  That is the one I use mostly and you can hardly tell it apart from the Thurston equivellant.

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

which blade did you end up getting for general ripping of boxwood?  Did you get .030 kerf blade?  That is the one I use mostly and you can hardly tell it apart from the Thurston equivellant.

Yup...got the 0.030" and it does a great job on boxwood. Also got varied widths from 0.008" to 0.052"

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

For the Byrnes saw I chose the 0.50" diameter hole and 3" diameter blades. Catalog numbers are:

CT303012000 - .030" thick

CT302012000, CT 304012000, CT305012000. (.020", 040" & 0.050" respectively).

Ideally you should have a separate aluminium blade insert for each size to prevent small parts from flying into the machine after cutting. They're inexpensive and worth the effort in changing with each blade.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 1 month later...

I wonder if all the Winchelsea builds have caused a run on .030 blades at Malco?

I ordered one, and was told there would be a 1-2 week delay while they were being produced...  ( Very nice people to work with.  Good communication. )

P.S.

At least it probably wasn't Chuck, since he is not doing the strip wood..   :)

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

On 8/15/2019 at 12:19 PM, Gregory said:

P.S.

At least it probably wasn't Chuck, since he is not doing the strip wood..   :)

Well..... he is for his build, and he’s probably milling all those sheets for his laser kits..... 😎