I think perhaps the Roman warship was specific to the Italian market. My files show I did this in early 2014, so well over 5 years ago. It is a shame, as that was quite nice (and well researched), and it had a lot of figures to go with it.

I could do a completely new design for such a vessel, but it wouldn't be at the top of my list right now. I find the oars make the display a little too wide. The base for that model was huge, and very heavy!

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Just a little update, this week I finished the ten sheets of 50x70cm plan sets, and have now started the A4 building manual for Speedy. I anticipate just over two weeks work left on my part. After this, I will get the manual and plans printed, and hopefully, by that time, I will have had all other items relating to the kit delivered. (if my day job doesn't kill me in the meantime..).  I did have the Pear, Tanganyika and Boxwood strip for Speedy arrive on Friday, all looks very good.

I have decided that all future kits will have as little white metal castings as possible. I have ordered a set of 30 kits worth of Alert 6 pounder and half pounder barrels to be cast in black resin. These will be offered as an alternative to the metal version in the kit. I cannot replace the kit versions as the cast resin barrels are many times more expensive, and would put Alert cost over £200 (Just to have the 30 kits worth cast is more than a few hundred pounds cost to me) - but I also recognise that having the option of better quality cannon would be good.

As mentioned before, the only cast white metal parts in Speedy is the anchor, the cannon being cast resin this time. (First 50 kits worth in grey resin, but all black after this).

logo.jpg

3 hours ago, chris watton said:

I have ordered a set of 30 kits worth of Alert 6 pounder and half pounder barrels to be cast in black resin. These will be offered as an alternative to the metal version in the kit.

Are you planning on selling these separately? Or will it be an option within each kit (standard or premium wood)?

2 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

Are you planning on selling these separately? Or will it be an option within each kit (standard or premium wood)?

They will be an added option with the Alert kit, as per the standard versus premium wood. Not expecting them to be with me for a couple of months though, as more Speedy guns and figures and l decorative castings for third model are being done right now.

logo.jpg

Chris,

I may have missed it, but I see where you have had new Alert stern patterns re-designed and re-cut, a pic of one set is included here, these will be included in all new kits.  For those of us who were the first to buy Alert but have not yet had time to begin work on the model, should we arrange to purchase the new stern patterns?  If so, how much would they be?  And this would be for a shipment to the U.S.

Thank you, Jim 

Chris,

And one more question on Alert.  I see that you are arranging to have resin cannons made for Alert.  Will these be available to those of us who bought Alert early?  If so, do you have an estimate of the cost?  (I realize you said that these would not be available for several months yet.

Thank you, Jim 

4 hours ago, jimvanlan99 said:

Chris,

I may have missed it, but I see where you have had new Alert stern patterns re-designed and re-cut, a pic of one set is included here, these will be included in all new kits.  For those of us who were the first to buy Alert but have not yet had time to begin work on the model, should we arrange to purchase the new stern patterns?  If so, how much would they be?  And this would be for a shipment to the U.S.

Thank you, Jim 

You can have a set of re-worked stern frames. Just PM me your address (although I am sure I have it..) and I will arrange a set to be sent.

Regarding the resin cannon, these will be an optional extra, as a set of resin cannons cost so much more. I am also looking for other sources to try and balance quality and sensible costs.

logo.jpg

OK, this week I have been mostly trying to sort out the specs for the top tier version of the Speedy kit, trying to put together a 'perfect' kit. I have mostly sorted and arranged everything for this now, the materials, cuttings, parts. It will not be cheap and strictly limited to 20 numbered kits due to the very high cost of materials. What I will include is the following:

Pearwood laser sheets replacing all limewood laser cut parts

Pearwood blocks and deadeyes (except the sister blocks, which I cannot get in pearwood)

The book  Cochrane the Dauntless: The Life and Adventures of Admiral Thomas Cochrane, 1775-1860”

Boxwood second planking

This will be the 'Master Shipwright' version, which is a no expense spared limited edition.

logo.jpg

Had the Speedy boxes arrive yesterday. Today, no work on Speedy, but a trip to the Bristol Museum, which was a long arranged meeting with the curator of ship models. He very kindly took the contemporary model out of its case in storage, placed it on a sturdy table/stand on castors, and left me to it for however long I wished. I was in heaven!  The scale is 64th, so the same as the kit it will be, although I may not include the berthed up forecastle bulwarks, I am sure these were a slightly later addition..

Arethusa, 1781, 18-pounder 38 gun frigate, one of the very first built for the Royal navy

I thought I's share a few of the many pics I took (all straight off the camera with file size reduced, but no colour/contrast correcting)

I didn't want to leave it, could have looked at it all afternoon...

Arethusa 18.JPG

Arethusa 17.JPG

Arethusa 16.JPG

Arethusa 15.JPG

Arethusa 14.JPG

Arethusa 13.JPG

Arethusa 12.JPG

Arethusa 11.JPG

Arethusa 10.JPG

Arethusa 9.JPG

Arethusa 8.JPG

Arethusa 7.JPG

Arethusa 6.JPG

Arethusa 3.JPG

Arethusa 2.JPG

Arethusa 4.JPG

Arethusa 1.JPG

Arethusa 5.JPG

logo.jpg

That's a beautiful model and what a great opportunity. I can see why you didn't want to leave.

Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

5 minutes ago, jimvanlan99 said:

Wow!  Chris, these are beautiful pictures of a terrific model.  Arethusa will be a great addition to your "squadron" of ships.  As will be the upgraded Speedy.  Any idea when you will have the upgraded version of Speedy available?

Jim 

Thanks Jim.

All versions of Speedy will be released together. Manual is taking longer than I anticipated (due mainly to day job and lack of time), so no end of this month release, but probably early-mid November

logo.jpg

November sounds good for me Chris as it gives me a bit more time on my 

X section👍

Waiting patiently but getting really itchy fingers now.!!

Those photos are great of an amazing ship, thanks 😃

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Chris,

What an interesting model, thanks for sharing and posting all the photos; a very unique "dockyard" half-hull, cutaway reveal. The joinery and brass metalwork are very good. Are the lighter colored pieces add-ons (restoration?) or of a different material like bone?  - e.g. capstan bars, wheels, stern decorations, tailboards, taffrail balustrades, etc. Primary wood appears to be pear. Any other information on the model - when built, the name of the modeler, etc.?

"If you build it, they will come."

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Great photos, Chris! I especially note the lovely run of planking diminishing into the bow (for those following Toni's series on planking), the beautifully worked anchor stock wales and wash cants in particular. Bonus question - what is the small fitting on the port stem just below the cheeks?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

13 hours ago, hollowneck said:

Chris,

What an interesting model, thanks for sharing and posting all the photos; a very unique "dockyard" half-hull, cutaway reveal. The joinery and brass metalwork are very good. Are the lighter colored pieces add-ons (restoration?) or of a different material like bone?  - e.g. capstan bars, wheels, stern decorations, tailboards, taffrail balustrades, etc. Primary wood appears to be pear. Any other information on the model - when built, the name of the modeler, etc.?

"If you build it, they will come."

Ron

I have just scanned some text from the book 'The Heavy Frigate' by Robert Gardiner. It was from this I got the info for the whereabouts of the model, and realised it's only 25 miles away from me!

ETA - The text states that the model is 48th scale, but it is in fact 1:64th.

Arethusa text.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Very good model, very good photos!its also are very useful references for making fullframe model or POF kit. Thank you very much for providing these photos.

But I personally think there seems to be a little problem with the main frames.I have no malice or any other attempt. I just want to confirm my personal cognition. I can learn more if some experts refute my opinion.

I think it's more like the 6th rate, but obviously it's the 5th rate, as long as you can see from the quarter gallery.

image.thumb.png.3c7364c08e858542cf8acfa2ebdf6c17.png

And screenshot from another draught...

image.png.8bb4be3ae5ec26864fc2352a143809d1.png

image.png.de61168b297279ef193ca1639759b7ec.png

The 6th rate seems to start from the first/foot futtock, so this is neither the 6th rate nor the authentic 5th rate....

My personal opinion is that from first /foot futtock looks not "very orthodox" or "authentic"...Because this should not be a commercial kit, more like a collection model of a museum...I am just from the perspective of knowledge of shipmodel, whether it's right or wrong...

Jack

Edited by hjx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry for lack of updates, but have had to organise a lot over the past few weeks. I have now done all I can regarding Speedy, and am now waiting for all of the part to arrive. The plans and manual are now at the printers, and expecting these back in the next 7-10 days. The 'Master Shipwright' version of the laser cut parts will be with me by the end of the week, but the PE files and limewood laser cut files arrive together from Italy, and I have no date on this yet. Although I did tell them I plan to release the kit for mid November.

Most of the fittings kits have been made up - the 34 barrels per kit which are cast resin, rigging thread, planking etc.

I will add a link to the full manual. There will be 10 50x70cm plan sets too, which include all full size parts, various profiles and of course, masts and rigging

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymm73viw4su1c7j/Speedy construction manual 1.pdf?dl=0

logo.jpg

Jack: I've just come across your post. What you show on the different framing disposition plans are various ways to either shift or cast frame timbers so that the spacing of toptimbers between the ports is correct. (The shipwright was not allowed to cut into the sides of toptimbers to form the edges of the ports - a strength issue.) There were many methods of doing this in use. Some plans show the spacer blocks that were used where the frame parts were bolted together (your second example). This was done throughout, but was only indicated on one frame pair on the plan.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Chris, while you wait on Speedy, could you tease us a bit with some Arethusa development tidbits?  A new design fifth rate might just be the ticket! I have been contemplating starting Chuck’s Winnie but sanding 27 bulkheads in 1/4 scale has me a bit intimidated and I don’t want to start another project and then lose heart.....  I am eagerly anticipating some awesomeness with this frigate though.....  

Or you could just relax for a bit before the Speedy rush kicks in.....  😇

5 hours ago, ASAT said:

Chris, while you wait on Speedy, could you tease us a bit with some Arethusa development tidbits?  A new design fifth rate might just be the ticket! I have been contemplating starting Chuck’s Winnie but sanding 27 bulkheads in 1/4 scale has me a bit intimidated and I don’t want to start another project and then lose heart.....  I am eagerly anticipating some awesomeness with this frigate though.....  

Or you could just relax for a bit before the Speedy rush kicks in.....  😇

Hi ASAT,

Nothing to tell regarding Arethusa right now, although I do desperately want to do it. Right now, I have started on the third kit, the last of the smaller range.  As soon as the remaining Speedy kit parts arrive, I shall be busy checking through them.

I have also been thinking seriously about obtaining my own laser machine, but this is a big investment, and have agreed with my wife to wait and see how things go for a few more months.

Early days, but I may be working closely with Master-Korabel for a new range of cannon for the kits, as I am having no more white metal versions cast. In future, they will be either cast resin or cast metal care of MK.

logo.jpg

Chris, I am a bit confused - I thought the Arethusa was the third model -so much for the excitement....  🤯. I was wondering how that brigantine?? looking prototype was going to morph into arethusa, I thought you were just using that to introduce the rabbet method.......I guess I’ll just chill out and wait to see what gets released before I get too worked up 😀.  Unless your Bellona enters the lineup!!! 

6 hours ago, ASAT said:

Chris, I am a bit confused - I thought the Arethusa was the third model -so much for the excitement....  🤯. I was wondering how that brigantine?? looking prototype was going to morph into arethusa, I thought you were just using that to introduce the rabbet method.......I guess I’ll just chill out and wait to see what gets released before I get too worked up 😀.  Unless your Bellona enters the lineup!!! 

I posted the pics of Arethusa because I thought they may be of interest to you guys on here. I do plan to develop this, and, as with a lot of future developments, I try and get as much information on each subject wherever and whenever I can. For Arethusa, it was a chance email to the museum that has the model, asking if I could have access to it. I was given a date and time to visit. I figured it would be a shame to keep the pics to myself.

I need to start small as the larger subjects cost a lot more to develop, although the smaller ones are not cheap to develop and get into production, not when ordering 100 sets of everything. More so for something like Speedy, which is a .'No holds barred' kit, with so many brass and copper PE sheets, resin cannon etc. If the smaller kits sell, I will be confident enough to move onto the bigger fish, and also invest in a proper laser machine which would give me a lot more freedom.

logo.jpg

Superb chris  - thank you for all you do.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I just had the sheets for the pearwood laser cut version of the kit arrive, 14 separate laser cut sheets. I am just waiting for the photo etched parts to arrive, which is a little frustrating..

All parts, especially keel and bulkheads have a nice 'push fit'. I didn't sand the slight surface laser burn off because if I did, the parts could hardly been seen, the cutting is so fine.

The clear stand was CNC cut and covered in protective film, to be peeled off when ready for assembly, and have included the complete cannon compliment, all resin castings and perfectly formed and smooth - and to scale.

I will be getting 20 special Alert kits cut in the same manner with the new laser cut company and use pearwood with slightly altered designs and resin cast guns soon.

ETA - materials:

0.8mm birch ply

1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm, 3mm and 4mm pearwood (or basswood)

2mm and 3mm MDF

3mm Clear acetate

Speedy parts 1.jpg

Speedy parts 2.jpg

Speedy parts 3.jpg

Speedy parts 4.jpg

Speedy parts 5.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Right, I had the sample photo etch and laser cut parts from Italy arrive yesterday. I wanted samples because I needed to be sure the production parts for Speedy are all as I want them. There was a problem with one of the PE parts when building the prototype, which has now been fully rectified, so have given the go-ahead for the production PE sets, which should be with me by the end of next week.

The laser cut parts I am still not entirely happy with, and have asked them to rectify the problems I highlight or not do any. In the meantime, I have 20 full sets for the special pearwood version of the kit and another 15 sets arriving on Tuesday for the basswood version, all laser cut in the UK. This is the reason I wanted to wait, as I want to make sure I am happy with everything in the kit box.

Essentially, I have everything I need apart from the production PE parts, which will be with me next week. (although technically, I do have one full kit set as the sample parts for the PE are great)

I know I said end of October/early November, but the Italians took a lot longer than I anticipated, and I did insist on seeing sample parts for me to double check before entering production. 

Speedy parts 6.jpg

Speedy parts 7.jpg

logo.jpg