49 minutes ago, chris watton said:

...No one wants the Alert with the cheaper wood...

Well darn, I was thinking about getting the version with the cheaper wood. I suppose I have to upgrade now 😉 

Thanks for the update!

12 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

Well darn, I was thinking about getting the version with the cheaper wood. I suppose I have to upgrade now 😉 

Thanks for the update!

To be honest, for me at least there is nothing wrong with the Tanganyika, I wouldn't have chosen it if I didn't like it (I do know that some suppliers offerings of this wood is shockingly bad quality). Bellona, Alert and Speedy prototypes were all done using this wood, as I think the warm tone of the hull looks great. It is also a lot more pliable than pear, so perhaps easier to use than the more expensive main option. Having said that, the pear also looks great, and does have a much tighter grain.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

At this stage I probably need all the pliability that I can get so I’ll stick with the Tanganyika for this kit and leave the nicer woods for the following one. Thanks for having options like this!

Thanks for the update Chris. Yes, its fully understandable that you want to start small and gradually increase. Vanguard models is definitely one of the more interesting model companies these days when many dont do any product development at all. So keep up the good work and we definitely appreciate your updates. Next kit i order will of Course be one of yours.

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

Thanks guys, your kind words are very much appreciated.

I should have the Speedy prototype model fully complete by the end of the weekend.

I do have another Speedy hull, with pear planking done, perhaps I will do another as Flirt in the future, with white hull below waterline and earlier rigging layout.

I quite like frigates, and plan a 32 (Amazon), 38 (Saucy Arethusa) and 44 gun (Indie) after Bristol.

logo.jpg

Chris what woods are you doing the first release of Speedy in?

( I'm waiting patiently for Speedy)

Cheers 

Scratch this question as I've  realised you posted earlier  with Pear, cherry and tanganyika.

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

6 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Chris what woods are you doing the first release of Speedy in?

( I'm waiting patiently for Speedy)

Cheers 

A choice of Pear, Cherry or Tanganyika.

I may add boxwood, but this would be a very expensive option.

Just finished clews and sheets (apart from lower yards, which is done last), now have to get ready for work, dammit...

logo.jpg

5 hours ago, chris watton said:

Thanks guys, your kind words are very much appreciated.

I should have the Speedy prototype model fully complete by the end of the weekend.

I do have another Speedy hull, with pear planking done, perhaps I will do another as Flirt in the future, with white hull below waterline and earlier rigging layout.

I quite like frigates, and plan a 32 (Amazon), 38 (Saucy Arethusa) and 44 gun (Indie) after Bristol.

The frigates would be cool.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

OK,

I finished the Speedy prototype model half an hour ago, and have taken some quick pics. Now I have a lot of PC based work to do, box artwork, plans, instructions and parts list.

I had the Alert stern patterns re-designed and re-cut, a pic of one set is included here, these will be included in all new kits.

Alert new stern patterns.JPG

Speedy 87.jpg

Speedy 88.jpg

Speedy 89.jpg

Speedy 90.jpg

Speedy 91.jpg

Speedy 92.jpg

Speedy 93.jpg

Speedy 94.jpg

logo.jpg

That is a must have kit for me!!

Still waiting patiently but definitely getting itchy fingers now.

She looks amazing😜

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Thanks guys! Everything you see on the model will all be included in the kit (including the cast resin Cochrane figure). I do like the lines of this, much more graceful and nicer curves compared to the later versions. The 1770's and early 1780's seem to be the perfect sweet spot for these vessels (of all types) for curves and decoration.

That dolphin striker is photo etched brass, by the way, as I know all too well how easy they are broken when laser cut in wood, even ply

logo.jpg

12 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Not certain if this is the right place to ask, but how does the redesign to the Alert stern pattern effect the construction?

It just makes it a little easier if all bulkheads are already glued in place, and the material is correct so stronger. That is all. The shape are exactly the same apart from the forward most slot, but they fit in exactly the same places.

logo.jpg

Looks awesome Chris, the royal blue and gold is very “RN looking” and I think the pictures inspire the promise of a beautiful outcome....  very posh.....   is that still a word? 😎

Edited by ASAT

Thanks, guys, and for the likes. There are eleven separate laser cut sheets in various thickness's and six separate PE brass and copper sheets. I did mean for this to be a quick development, but as usual it didn't turn out to be so, as I knew such a vessel deserved more attention. I haven't compromised very much with this kit, and is as I would like it if I were to buy it. However, lack of compromise always equates to a higher price, but if the Alert sales have taught me anything, it's that people prefer quality materials over standard. This weekend I managed to write the complete parts list, take the main box art photos and then put the box art together. I have the manual and plan sheets to do next, but all pics and line drawings are already done, so I just need to make up the manual and add the text (which takes longer than it sounds, as it is just me doing everything....)

There is only one metal casting in this kit (anchors), as I hate white metal. The 14 x 4-Pounder barrels are cast in resin (so perfect shape and scale), as are the 20 half-Pounder swivel guns. Having these done in resin is a lot more expensive than white metal, but I feel a lot better knowing the quality is perfect, and I do not think people will mind paying a little more for such fittings that require no finishing aside from perhaps scraping the smallest amount of easily removable flash. The guys that do the resin castings for me are experts in resin and injection moulding kits and well established, so quality is never an issue on that front.

I think I already mentioned this, but I did add at the last minute an extra cradle on the 3mm MDF laser sheet, for use whilst building the model, leaving the clear acetate nice and clean for the finished model.

I already have the Speedy resin castings done and here with me, plus the laser engraved decks. The final laser cut and PE have been given to my colleague in Italy to be done, and the pear wood strip ordered and on its way. For future gun resin castings, they will be cast in black - I didn't realise at the time that this was an option, dammit!

I am aiming for a late October (possibly November if I have problems with getting final parts in time or finishing plans/manual take longer than I thought) for release. I cannot give a final price yet, as I still need to know the cost of the PE and laser cutting, but I am aiming for the following (all versions relate to secondary planking materials):

Tanganyika version - £220 (as shown on prototype model)

Pear or cherry - £245

Boxwood (limited to 15 kits) - £280

All versions will include the copper plating, Cochrane figure and 18 foot cutter.

logo.jpg

Wow, great update, this really looks a wonderful build and sets a very high standard for model ship kit manufactures.   

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

Well done Chris, looks fantastic, i will nominated you for an award on the new years honours , for saving the British model producer award

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

You can put me down for one Chris. I don't have any preference on wood type so long as I can get a Speedy. 😃👍

Current builds;

Completed: