Cutty Sark by drobinson02199 - FINISHED - Mantua/Sergal - Scale 1:78

Foremast shrouds now rigged.  

Regards,

David

Foremast Shrouds.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

I'm doing this ship differently than the other two rigged ships I've built.  On those, I mounted all the yards on all the masts before doing any of the standing rigging.

On this one, in addition to the shrouds on the foremast, I've decided to do the foremast stays as well, and then complete mounting the yards.   I'm concerned that if I don't tension the foremast now, I'll have problems in two areas:  (i) The remaining yards, which have only the yard lifts for vertical support, might move a bit up or down as the mast is tensioned by the stays, and (ii) I don't want any "wrinkles" in the ratlines due to slight shifting of the shrouds.

So finish foremast stays and bowsprit stays, then hang the remaining foremast yards, and then do the foremast ratlines.  Then move on to the main in the same way.  We'll see how that works.  

Pictures of progress to date on the foremast are below.

Regards,

David

Foremast Stays 2.jpg

Foremast Stays 1.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Finished the bowsprit standing rigging (see pics below).  The chains are a nice touch, and they are more than decorative -- they do provide a counter force to the upward pull on the bowsprit from the foremast stays.

I found that Mantua didn't supply enough chain to do the job as specified on the plans.  Fortunately, I had some leftover chain and used that for three of the top fittings -- the brass in my leftover chains is a nice contrast with the Mantua black chain used elsewhere.

This is my first Mantua kit, and it's about the third place in this kit where I've been short on something.   I've concluded that while Amati provides more than you need, Mantua provides "not enough".  I'm counting and conserving things to make sure I don't run out.

[Just noticed an unclipped rigging pigtail in these pics -- :default_wallbash:]

Regards,

David

Bowsprit Rigging 3.jpg

Bowsprit Rigging 2.jpg

Bowsprit Rigging 1.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I was floored when I came across this and for the 1st time realized the figure head was painted and not just white as so many depict.  But again, as the builder has the option to paint as they wish.  From what I can find, the photo is just before the end of her last runs of the seas.  Hope you enjoy.

Rick

Neophyte Shipwright

Wisdom:  When all else fails, read the instructions!

Google says it's "Nannie the witch"

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I have been assured this is in fact a photo of as you correctly identified as (Witch) Nannie Dee.  A name from a Robert's Burns Poem, Tam o'Shanter.

Wikipedia:  Cutty Sark (Witch).

Cutty Sark was a nick name given to the Witch Nannie Dee, a fictional character created by Robert Burns.  The photo is from a private collection and I have been informed this is the Cutty Sark while still in service and not as you see today in her present state.  But hey, I thought it would be interesting.  I have gone back and looked very closely at the photo figure head and the current figure head and the face and expression look uncannily the same?  But  again sorry for miss-informing.  Look forward to more of your build.

Edited by RickyGene

Neophyte Shipwright

Actually a cutty sark is the short night dress that Nannie wore when Tam O'Shanter went for his ride home after a night out. Not knowing her name he called out "Weel done, cutty-sark", as she danced, referring to Nannie by what she was wearing.

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

17 hours ago, RickyGene said:

I was floored when I came across this and for the 1st time realized the figure head was painted and not just white as so many depict.  But again, as the builder has the option to paint as they wish.  From what I can find, the photo is just before the end of her last runs of the seas.  Hope you enjoy.

Rick

I believe the figurehead in your picture dates from 1922, after she was returned to Falmouth Cutty Sark images

Could be that the figurehead was painted after she became the Ferreira.

and great build so far Don!

CS-as-Ferreira-at-Birkenhead.thumb.jpg.49a3b96912e3cc2304883936aabf30c1.jpg

Samuel Pepys notes in his diary on 19 July 1667: "the Dutch fleets being in so many places, that Sir W. Batten at table cried, By God,says he, I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."

5 hours ago, Jolley Roger said:

I believe the figurehead in your picture dates from 1922, after she was returned to Falmouth Cutty Sark images

Could be that the figurehead was painted after she became the Ferreira.

and great build so far Don!

CS-as-Ferreira-at-Birkenhead.thumb.jpg.49a3b96912e3cc2304883936aabf30c1.jpg

Yes sir, you are correct.  The Portuguese ship Ferreira, was in fact formerly the Cutty Sark.

Cutty Sark was launched as the Cutty Sark.

1895 renamed Ferreira

1922 called the Mario Do Amparo then reverting back to the original name as she is called today, Cutty Sark.

She was never called Nannie Dee officially.

So reguardless the additional names, the vessel is the Cutty Sark.

Rick

Edited by RickyGene

Neophyte Shipwright

I now have the foremast yards up, which took a while because as noted above I wanted to stabilize the foremast with all of the stays before hanging the top three yards, which are only supported by the yard lifts, and I wanted to get their positioning right.  So lots of standing rigging and ratlines.  And I needed to do most of the main mast stays since it is partly stabilized by stays to the foremast.

The pictures below show the foremast yards, and you may see a bit of blue tape on the lower two where they meet the mast.  They are mounted using a hinge assembly that has a lot of rotational play in it, so without the tape they would slant all the way over and partly turn.  That of course will be fixed with the running rigging.

I'll now finish the main mast ratlines and then build the main mast yards and mount them, and then on to the mizzen.  I'll have to do the mizzen stays before mounting the main mast yards -- again because some of those stays run to the main mast and will move it just slightly.

Regards,

David

Foremast Yards 1.jpg

Foremast Yards 2.jpg

Deadeyes, Stays & Ratlines.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

All of the standing rigging is now done (see below), and I have about 1 1/3 masts worth of ratlines left to do.  I can now start working on the mainmast yards.

Regards,

David

Standing 1.jpg

Standing 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

The two lower yards on each mast are mounted using a metal hinge and pin assembly.  The picture of that from the plans is below.  The components are shown in the next three pictures (assuming that the pics come out in order -- if the website reverses them, the plans are first and then it goes from there).

On the foremast, I had some real problems getting the "C" shaped fitting attached to the yard bracket.  I didn't think a pin would help much and wasn't up for metal drilling, so I used CA glue.  The issue there is that when you get the assembly up to the mast, if the horizontal alignment of the "C" fitting and the bracket isn't really good off (which is near impossible to do off the mast), you can get a situation where you can't get the yard to align horizontally -- which happened to me.  It's also a very fragile assembly -- the CA doesn't hold well.  My fix on the foremast was to lash the "C" fitting and the yard bracket together using black thread, and then fix it all with a drop of glue.  I did that with the yard on the mast using the yard lift to help stabilize things while I lashed.

For the next yards on the main mast, I have done the lashing before mounting, and you can see that in the final picture.  Now once I mount the yard, I can position it horizontally and then add a drop of glue around the lashing (being careful not to get any on the hinge).

Regards,

David

Plan Drawing.jpg

Mounting 1.jpg

Mounting 2.jpg

Mounting 3.jpg

Lashed.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

And the finished product, hanging straight and true.

Regards,.

David

Mounted Mast.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 2 weeks later...

I've now hung all the yards (all 19 of them!) and have begun rigging with the three spars on the main and mizzen.  All shown below.

Regards,

David

Yards 1.jpg

Yards 2.jpg

Yards 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I'm in the process of rigging all of the yard lifts -- the ones that run from the mast to the tip of the yard (because all of the yards also have simple vertical lifts as well).

The bottom two yards are attached to the mast by a hinge, so they can take the upward force of the lifts.  But the other yards slide up and down, so without doing something it wouldn't be possible to tension the yard lifts to get each yard to be horizontally lined up.  Solution was to install a small vertical yard downpull starting with the third yard on the foremast.

Pictures attached show the first three foremast yards with the lifts rigged, and the small vertical downpull (marked with an arrow) that I used on the third yard up to create something for the yard lifts to pull against.

I'll be installing the lifts on all the yards on all the masts before turning to the other running rigging.

Regards,

David

Yard Lifts 1.jpg

Yard Lifts 2.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

The yard lifts are all done now (see picture).  The other picture shows the first piece of rigging on the foremast lower yard.

I'm now going to get into the yard braces, and I have looked at the rigging diagram and concluded that the best sequence for braces to preserve ease of access for rigging is:

• Do the top three yard braces on the main mast next.
  • Then do all of the yard braces on the mizzen.
  • Then the top two yard braces on the foremast.
  • Then rig the inner brace on the main mast lower yard (matches the one I've done on the foremast lower shown below)
  • Then rig the three lower yard braces on the foremast
  • Finally, rig the three lower yard braces on the main mast.

If I do it that way, I hopefully will minimize contortionist activity getting "inside" rigging already installed.

Getting close to the end now.

Regards,

David

Yard Lifts Done.jpg

Foremast Lower Yard Rigging.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

David, your Cutty Sark looks great.

My first ship model was a Cutty Sark in plastic. I was a junior in high school back in 75.  I built several more plastic over the next few years and moved to wooden when I was in my thirties. I’ve built 15 wooden ships and boats in the last 30 years. I want to build the Cutty Sark again and am always looking for the “best” wooden kit. This kit seems to be a top quality kit. After starting this kit and seeing other build longs, are you still happy that you chose this kit or do you sometimes think one of the other kits would have been better? Second question: Does the plans sheet include sail patterns?

Thanks for sharing your process.

Bender:

I've been happy with this kit, although it's not without its drawbacks.  The wood and materials quality is fine.  My major complaint is that there have been items where Mantua didn't supply enough in the kit -- more than one case.  The biggest issue was copper plates, so be sure to get matching spares from whoever you get the kit from.  I'd say 300-400 extra, which Ages of Sail sent me gratis.  For other items (some blocks, chain) fortunately I have a leftovers stock from other builds that has backed me up.  I would also say that the plan sheets are sometimes ambiguous and I had to study them carefully to figure out where something should go.

I haven't looked at other models or build logs of other Cutty Sark models so I don't have a basis of comparison.  But I've built two Amati rigged ships (Revenge and Fly), and while the Amati quality is better, I have no complaints about this kit.  It has a nice natural wood coloration at the deck level.

There is no sail plan included, but you can buy one from the National Maritime Museum (I bought the deck and rigging plans and didn't find them of much value to me).  Here's a link to the sail plan  https://shop.rmg.co.uk/collections/cutty-sark-gifts/products/cutty-sark-sail-plan-50-x-70cm

Interestingly, when I was in college (1960s) my roommate built the plastic model, and I thought it looked nice for a plastic one.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

COMPLETED!  A set of completion photos are in the gallery at https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2021-cutty-sark-by-drobinson02199-mantuasergal-scale-178/ 

I enjoyed this -- my longest build at about 7 months.  As I noted above, I'm generally happy with the kit, but would caution others about multiple parts shortages -- copper plates, certain blocks.  I got around it with spares from my stash.  I was also disappointed with the flag, which is printed on one side only.  So I didn't use it.  But other than that, it's a nice kit.

Regards,

David

Cutty Sark 1.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

David,

Congratulations!  Beautifully done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

1 hour ago, drobinson02199 said:

my longest build at about 7 months

😲 I don't even know what to say to that.  Color me super impressed!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Great looking Cutty Sark David. Congratulations on a very fine model. She's a beaut. Time to celebrrate with a liquid Cutty Sark!

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!