HMS Winchelsea by rafine 1/48

Looking really good Bob. Thanks for being the guinea pig! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Moving forward, I made up and added the mizzen mast coat. I then made up and added the forward bulkhead and then the panel between the two bulkheads, adding the small pieces atop the panel to fit around the beams. After that work was completed, I permanently mounted the three beams between the bulkheads and then fitted and added the lodging knees between those beams. All of the exposed wood was given a coat of Wipe-on Poly. While adding the beams and knees, I continually checked with a planking strip to ensure that everything remained fair and level. 

Bob

fullsizeoutput_bb5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bb6.jpeg

HQ6Psa%yQzeq5NvGeG5xog.jpg

fullsizeoutput_bba.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bb8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bb9.jpeg

Bob…she is looking good.  A quick note…

If you plan on rigging the ships wheel, you should drill two holes in those slots on the gundeck.  Into the center of each slot.  I am talking about that little square just forward of the bulkhead. 

Then insert two long lengths of rope….025 would do the trick.  If you dont do this now you will have a devil of a time getting rope down between the beams.  You can wrap the rope around the drum for the ships wheel much later in the project.  So just neatly coil it up and set it to the side for now after inserting the ends i nto the holes you drilled.

Thanks so much Chuck and the "likes".

Assuming that I will be rigging the wheel, I expect to run the lines down from the wheel through the quarter deck and not bother with the portion below the quarterdeck since they almost certainly will not be visible.

Bob

Thanks so much Fred and the "likes". Fred, I think that I will be happier winding the line around the drum and dropping the two ends through slots in the quarter deck, than taking two ends up through that deck and trying to make them appear as one line around the drum. 

Bob

Continuing to move forward. I first dealt with the companionway. I chose to do metal stanchions with a rope rail, rather than the wooden posts and railing used by Chuck. I just liked the lighter look better. The stanchions are #24 wire with eyes bent at the top.The rope is .018".

I then did the first column, shaping the laser cut part with files and painting it red.

The remaining work was adding additional beams with their lodging and hanging knees. The laser cut lodging knees had to be adjusted slightly to fit, and the laser cut hanging knees were shaped to fit using files and sanding sticks. The sides of the beams, the edge of the lodging knees and the whole of the hanging knees were painted red.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_bbb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bc4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bbf.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bc1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bc2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bc3.jpeg

That looks great, Bob!  I like your wire stanchions a lot.  I had not previously noticed the micro-krystal clear windows in the bulkheads, but that looks very nice, too.  It's neat stuff and I'm glad I saw it in your build logs.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Thanks so much Matt, Reg, Paul and Bob for the comments, and thanks also to the "likes".

Paul, I use a small round nosed pliers, tweezers and a cutter and just kind of fiddle and tweak until the loop seems about the right shape and size. Not a very helpful description, I'm afraid.

Bob

Thanks so much Mustafa and Jim for the generous comments.

Jim, feel free to “steal” from me. The stanchions actually appear that way on the plans.

Bob

A small update. I have continued to move forward with beams, lodging knees and hanging knees. I also added the second column, glued in the capstan and added the pawls. With the addition of a hanging  knee,  I was able to mount and rig the remaining  two guns under the quarterdeck.

Now it's time to tackle the chain pumps.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_bc5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bc6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bc7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bc9.jpeg

Hi Bob,

I just had time to catch up on your build and she's looking outstanding! Well done.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I've now made up and added the main mastcoat, jeer bitts and gallows, the two columns for the aft part of the chain pump crank handles and the stanchions for the forward part  of the crank handles. The deck beams forward of the beam above the columns have not been permanently installed yet.  I then made up the chain pump cisterns. The great laser cut parts for all of these items made the process relatively easy and fun.

Getting everything lined up properly was less easy and less fun. Making up and installing the cranks was even less so. At this point, I have  done only the center and forward portions, and I'm seriously considering redoing them.  I will have just over a month to think about this, since we're leaving for New Jersey tomorrow and won't be back until early September. 

Bob

fullsizeoutput_bcf.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bd3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bd2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bd1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bd4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bd0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bd6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bd7.jpeg

Very nice realization, Bob! This deck is really starting to look great. This frigate will be superb.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Hiya Bob, hope your keeping well mate.   havn't  seen an update from you In a while.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1