Newbee wantng to say hi

"HI"

That said, I hope these forums are what they seem to be, very helpful and informative for us greenhorns. I've been lurking here a few days now and like what I've seen so far.

I've never built a wooden boat before and The African Queen movie made me fall in love with the steam launch that Bogart and Hepburn sailed down the river in.

Now retired, I have tons of time on my hands and have watched that movie a good half dozen times or more already. I searched the net for a model of that boat and found a couple versions of it so bought the Billing Boats version. Due here last Friday, I've found that it hasn't even left Europe yet. That's OK... I can wait...

Meanwhile, I've also fallen in love with live steam. I've bid on a boiler on ebay and won! The engine I want is a bit steep but I can save up for it. The only issue I have here is that I know very little about steam.

Anyway, I welcome any and all the advice and help I can get from you guys.

Thanks,

a.k.a. Rick

'Don't fry bacon in the nude'

Current Build: Billing Boats, S/L Livingstone, a.k.a. African Queen (When it arrives that is)

Next Up: La Nina

Welcome to MSW, Rick.    I have seen a few live steam models in the Scratch area but I'm not sure how many there were or even if they were finished.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome Rick. MSW is a great forum. You’ll  get whatever help, advice, etc. you need from individuals who know the craft. Not sure about live steam. Good sailing...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Hi Rick,

I love the idea of your building a model of the African Queen (one of my favourite movies, where Bogart got to show he could play something other than a "tough guy"). 

You might get some help from these threads: 

and 

Regarding the live steam, is it your plan to install it in the model? The only problem I can foresee with that (apart from the whole thing of learning how to use live steam without blowing yourself up!) would be whether the relative sizes of the vessel and the engine/boiler would work together. Still, that's all part of the learning process, I suppose.

Welcome to the forum Rick. Please do start a build log once your kit arrives - this one is on my “bucket list”.

And when you start your model, please do start a build log. Partly because I love looking at photos of builds, partly because it's the best way to get feedback, help, advice and encouragement.

But mostly because I like looking at the pictures . . . 

Hi Rick,

I have always wanted to build a working a working R/C steam powered vessel so I will happily follow your build when your new toys arrive.

Will it need some sort of permit or testing before you can use it? I know a few model steam train guys here in New Zealand have to have their trains certified and tested for safety purposes. Not sure if that is related to using in public or taking the public. Just curious is all.

Good luck!

Welcome to MSW, be interesting to watch this one, have fun and really hope you get it steaming!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

On 6/14/2020 at 11:33 PM, thegrindre said:

"HI"

That said, I hope these forums are what they seem to be, very helpful and informative for us greenhorns. I've been lurking here a few days now and like what I've seen so far.

Hi, They really are!

Oh, and welcome from across the Pond

Bob

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

Greetings,

And :sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,
Well, I'm broken hearted. My African Queen arrived today but the box looked as if a truck ran over it... TWICE! I could see the innards and they looked damaged too. The postman wanted my signature for the box and I asked him if I had too sign. He said, if it was his package, he'd refuse it cuz of all the damage. So I did...
Now, we'll see how it goes. I hope I'm not out $250.  :blush:

a.k.a. Rick

Current Build: Billing Boats, S/L Livingstone, a.k.a. African Queen (When it arrives that is)

Well I can't possibly do a "like" on that post.

However, welcome!

Hopefully we'll see a build log of the African Queen soon. 

All the best.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

1 hour ago, thegrindre said:

Well, I'm broken hearted. My African Queen arrived today but the box looked as if a truck ran over it... TWICE!

Yikes! I hope you're not out your money.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been 19 days since I refused the damaged package and I have yet to heard from the seller. ebay emailed me to say that if they don't hear back from the seller by the 21st they'll have to close my case and I'll loose my $250. (I'm sure glad the government gave me that $1200 a couple weeks ago. So, I'm not really out anything really.)

a.k.a. Rick