Lady Eleanor by Jeff5115 - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - Newbie Build

After deciding to try out this hobby I made my first mistake.  I selected a ship that had poor instructions and did not have a single build log on this site. I have put that model on the shelf for now and decided to look for a model more fitting to be built by a newcomer.  After seeing and reading the build logs by James H and BE I was very interested in building the Lady Eleanor for my first ship build. The Vanguard model site had the complete manual for this kit available for reading. That convinced me that between the other build logs and the very complete instructions that this was a good kit for a total newbies first build.

The model is extremely well built and the directions take a beginner thru the steps assuming you know very little about ship building and terminology. I really appreciate the instruction detail and there are plenty of photos to help visually with the build. The initial building of the bulkheads on to the false keel was very easy. The bulkheads fit snugly into the keel and required no squaring.

Here is the ship assembled with the bulkhead and sub structure put together. 

IMG-0195.jpg

Current Build

18th Century Armed Longboat-Model Shipways

Completed Build

Lady Eleanor-Vanguard Models

King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber

The bulkheads and some of the infill parts had engraved lines on them. These parts were beveled prior to gluing on the hull. You can see in the pictures the beveling helped as a starting point to begin fairing the bulkheads.  You can also see the false deck has been glued down at this point. The deck fit into a recess on each of the bulkheads so it was perfectly aligned. This step was a little nerve racking as the deck had to be nudged into position and I was concerned about it cracking. Once I had it in place and dry fitted I was not going to remove the deck as it takes a little work to get into place. 

unnamed.jpg

IMG-0202.jpg

Current Build

Completed Build

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber

After fairing the bulkheads the it was on to gluing on the bulwarks. After gluing on the first side of the bulwarks I noticed some small indentations from the clamp pressure. This was resoved on the other side by using some scrap wood under the clamps.

IMG-0204.jpg

IMG-0209.jpg

Current Build

Completed Build

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber

Next up was the start of the first layer of planking. This was the point as a newbie I was dreading. Just hoping I could muddle thru this step without ruining the model. While the planking may not be great I was able to complete the first layer. 

IMG-0213.jpg

IMG-0216.jpg

IMG-0221.jpg

Current Build

Completed Build

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber

You are off to a great start.   I think that will turn into a great looking model.  Keep it up.

Well done so far, Jeff! You chose a great model to build and saved yourself a lot of confusion and frustration by starting with a model that has instructions that are as good as they come. 

The best piece of advice that was given to me when I was starting out was to slow down, take my time and enjoy the building process. To that I'll add, read ahead a few steps in the instructions so you can better see where your current step is taking you and refer often to your plans for measurements and further understanding of what you are doing.

I look forward to seeing following your progress.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I always look at the end of the section I'm working on, if I know what it's supposed to look like when its done its easier following the instructions to get me there. As others noted the first planking serves only as a base for the second.  Be comfortable sanding the heck out of it and using wood filler as necessary. The smoother that base becomes the easier and better looking is the the 2nd planking.

Think through any tapering you might need to do on the 2nd planking, better yet look at BE's and James builds, they've done one or two so steal, I mean learn whatever you can from their build on the second planking - even if its not in the words you'll see things in the photos. Believe me I'm doing that with my first scratch build in Cheerful - I have 4 particular build logs I look at, only at the post and pages that are at and just after the step I'm on. That's the best thing about this forum, you're not alone. Stealing, I mean adopting the best practices of others is how we all get better. If all else fails leave the area a few up from the keel and below the curve of the side until last. If you have to fill it in, fill it in a place where you can't see it when it's sitting on the shelf. Don't tell anybody I told you that, the perfectionists just fell off their chairs. Me I never make a mistake, that I can't hide.

I'm a big fan of @chris watton and Vanguard Models, I'm first in line (at least in my mind) for his shipwright version of HMS Flirt and already have HMS Speedy. I believe you chose wisely, not only because of the superb instructions but because Chris is a world class designer. AND he's on this forum so you can always ask the guy who designed or his ace master builder @James H any question.

Here's my modeling maxim: It won't all go perfect, mistakes are a part of the process. The best fun is to Adapt, Improvise, Overcome. Clint Eastwood borrowed that quote from me, no wait - I stole it from him. Have fun, power through any frustrating moments, get to the other side and enjoy your work.  That's my whole list of platitudes for the day, I'm all out now.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I agree with the above comments.  You have picked a good model for your first build and you will find a lot of support here on Model Ship World.  I look forward to following your build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

The model looks good so far! I am a relative newcomer to the hobby and this forum is a tremendous resource. Reading the build logs and other postings have really helped me. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, I have found the members here very willing to help and encouraging without exception! I lok forward to following your progress. 

I recently received a delivery from Vanguard models containing Lady Eleanor and some blocks. I will follow your build with interest until I have freed up space at the shipyard to start building her.

19 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Don't tell anybody I told you that, the perfectionists just fell off their chairs. Me I never make a mistake, that I can't hide.

🤣 That's funny. Glenn, and a great post with lots of good advice to boot! 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

The second planking started out quite well.  I was able to get 7 planks on without tapering any planks.  I was able to complete the planking but did need to add a stealer plank on both the starboard and port sides. I am not sure if this is an acceptable technique to use on the second planking.  

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Current Build

Completed Build

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber

Nice job on that planking! You’re doing really well on so far (and tapering planks isn’t necessarily a bad thing 😉). As far as I know stealers are fine (I have a few in my second planking).

I sanded the hull and then glued on the rubbing strakes. Unfortunately, I snapped one of the strakes in half and beyond repair. Because of the mistake I only have one lower rubbing strake instead of the two. Ordered some 1 x 1 stock and if it is a good match I will use it. The other option is to paint the top of the hull in black.

I tried to use the Amati waterline tool but the line went way too high in the center of the hull.  I saw that BE had the same problem in his build log.  On to plan B. I made a copy of the plans showing the waterline and cut them out to use as a template. The hull was taped off with frog tape and painted with Vallejo red paint.

IMG-0254.jpg

IMG-0252.jpg

IMG-0251.jpg

Current Build

Completed Build

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber

Thanks James.  I have gone back and used the Amati waterline marker to draw new lines. They now look much closer to your picture.  It is actually good to new that I was using the waterline marker correctly.  This model has been a great learning experience and loads of fun to build.  Hopefully my ship modeling skills are improving and can carry over to future builds. I am absolutely hooked on this hobby.

Current Build

Completed Build

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber

With the waterline re-drawn the hull was painted again and it does look better. Next I will paint the boot top. However, I have to decide what to do with the top of the hull. Since I only have the one lower rubbing strake. I purchased some 1 x 1 wood but it obviously does not match the pear wood rubbing strake. The choice is to use the wood and paint the top portion of the hull black. I would prefer to leave it natural wood but I do not know if these types of vessels would have ever had just one lower rubbing strake. If someone could let me know I would appreciate it. 

2.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Current Build

Completed Build

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber

• 2 weeks later...

Hull assembly is now complete. Other than some sanding and trimming some pieces all went together fairly easily. Now on to the masts, rigging and sails. This is the part I am really nervous about. Especially since I will be working from plans instead of instructions. Time to take a deep breath and slow down.

IMG-0274.jpg

IMG-0275.jpg

IMG-0273.jpg

Current Build

Completed Build

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber