Duchess of Kingston 1778 by Rustyj - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Royal Yacht

Great looking model Rusty, fine workmanship, crisp and clean details. The rigging is especially nice, I always enjoy seeing your work. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

3 hours ago, Rustyj said:

That happy sad moment is rapidly approaching.

Savor the former "happy" part, Rusty!

You've done a beautiful job with this model - similar to all your others. I've always thought that, like me, you enjoy the challenges of rigging.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Thanks Glenn, the fine design really helps create a nice looking model.

Thanks Ron, it's kind of a love hate relationship. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I enjoy rigging, just don’t have a lot to say about how it’s done…lol

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well, the Dutchess of Kingston has officially been finished. It took me some time to finish working around

my other builds, but it was well worth it. I want to commend Chris Watton for producing such a wonderful

kit that looks great and is a pleasure to build. I look forward to some of Vanguards future releases and trying

to figure out what one I want to build next.

To those who built the Duchess before me thank you for your logs. They saved me more times that I can count.

Thanks to all of you for your comments, support and likes. It was deeply appreciated.

IMG_1584.thumb.JPG.7044cafcb8cbf98b1d40d921f29c4c99.JPGIMG_1574.thumb.JPG.4d3c622ec362e3566bcc3e2cae96a7d6.JPGIMG_1575.thumb.JPG.830b1a2d6d0a3c147fdf492910a8f83d.JPGIMG_1571.thumb.JPG.084ede3b7b8a9779bb2985ca80a79cb9.JPGIMG_1573.thumb.JPG.f46cf00d1c8975d36285c2d3b5c989a0.JPGIMG_1581.thumb.JPG.64e58ff8a34d6303632e4daea7554ed8.JPGIMG_1583.thumb.JPG.c01d9b51e239e5b8562e019341a41316.JPGIMG_1580.thumb.JPG.ddbc5418b418c93b9b63cc79a100ed45.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

We’ll done and beautifully built Rusty. Another fine model!

Regards,

Glenn

2 hours ago, Rustyj said:

Well, the Dutchess of Kingston has officially been finished. It took me some time to finish working around

my other builds, but it was well worth it. I want to commend Chris Watton for producing such a wonderful

kit that looks great and is a pleasure to build. I look forward to some of Vanguards future releases and trying

to figure out what one I want to build next.

Superb job, Rusty. Congratulations.

Having personally seen your models up-close these last few years, I can attest that your work is an excellent example of high-quality craftsmanship combined with a good quality kit!

I can highly recommend Vanguard's HMS Sphinx kit. It's the "next level" for high-end kits IMHO. Lot's of innovation and excellent materials and extensive plans. Also, the next large kit from Vanguard will be the HMS Indefatigible, an (in)famous 64. It won't likely be available until next year. It's on my short list.

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Absolutely beautiful result Rusty, the Duchess looks amazing as you finished her showing all the beauty of the ship.

3 hours ago, Rustyj said:

To those who built the Duchess before me thank you for your logs. They saved me more times that I can count.

Thanks to all of you for your comments, support and likes. It was deeply appreciated.

BTW: Thanks for your competent and informative build log which, among others, helped me through my build, where I will reference often to for the pending rigging.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

Thanks, Chris C, Tim, Glenn (UK), Tom, Glenn (US), Ron, Rob, B.E., Grant, Chris W, James and all the likes.

It's very much appreciated.

Ron I was thinking about the Sphinx until I saw Indefatigable! So that's high on my list.

I've got a lot of work to do on the Winnie before I think of something new though.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 4 weeks later...

Well done Rusty - superb model!

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thank you Derek. I'm glad to see you back at you DOK. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

On 9/7/2022 at 9:08 PM, Rustyj said:

Ron I was thinking about the Sphinx until I saw Indefatigable! So that's high on my list.

Rusty, either would be an epic build and the "next step" for a superb kit.

Keep a keen weather eye on the £-to-$ exchange rate, currently about 1£ = $1.09. This is almost parity and is a nominal 20% "discount" on the previous and long-standing rate between the two countries. I believe that by the time Indy is actually available (late Winter, early Spring 23), the rate will be close to "dollars-for-pounds" - as the English say. Chris has already indicated a price range that's going to hover around £1,100-1,200. If this is true, it could be the most expensive kit ever introduced to the hobby (am I wrong?).

Life is a lot about timing- and luck. The former is something we can control.

Ron

Looking forward to seeing your continued work on Winchelsea. Then it seems we’ll have Chuck’s Speedwell to look forward to.  It seems that will be another next level jump. 

Regards,

Glenn

Hi Ron and Glenn. Yes, both the Indefatigable and the Speedwell are looking like winners to me.

I'll enjoy dreaming about them while working on the Winnie. I'm saving my bottles and cans to fund them. 🤣

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)