HMS PEGASUS by giampieroricci - Scale 1:36 - Swan-Class Sloop from plans by David Antscherl & Greg Herbert

Beautiful, as always.  I am thrilled to see you might actually be human...a few specks of sawdust!  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Kevin Kenny said:

Your ability to line up and  cut the recesses for the carlins is so accurate and is excellent. Can you describe the process.  Kevin

Thanks Kevin!
Actually, I don't have a method, a trick to align them. I simply do them one by one, manually, checking the measurements many times

Impressive model and great explaining of your processes building this ship. I am curious about one thing. I can understand the louvers and air ventilation for around the anchor ropes storage and the sail storage room, but why do they do this on the pump room as well? It has to be more than worried about a fire in the powder storage areas, as the powder rooms always seemed pretty protected.

15 hours ago, bdgiantman2 said:

Impressive model and great explaining of your processes building this ship. I am curious about one thing. I can understand the louvers and air ventilation for around the anchor ropes storage and the sail storage room, but why do they do this on the pump room as well? It has to be more than worried about a fire in the powder storage areas, as the powder rooms always seemed pretty protected.

For the same reason, this one perhaps more than others, was a very humid room and needed ventilation

Just amazing work, the level of detail and craftsmanship never ceases to amaze.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Simply Beautiful!

I notice that you only modeled the beam arm with the single fore one as per TFFM, not with the double fore/aft as per the NMM plans for Pegasus - but it looks simply fantastic either way.

23 hours ago, giampieroricci said:

I followed the drawings in the monograph ...

Yeh - TFFM is based on the plans of Atalanta, that’s why there is a couple of decepencies between it and the NMM Pegasus plans.

It seems each of the Swan class vessels had slight differences between them.

Dan Vadas found several when he built Vulture.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Very nicely done Giampiero. I also notice the perfectly positioned scupper holes internally and externally. I'll bet drilling them caused you no anxiety at all 😉 The fore port scupper looks to be lined with lead. Very convincing effect.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752