HMS PEGASUS by giampieroricci - Scale 1:36 - Swan-Class Sloop from plans by David Antscherl & Greg Herbert

You should place a small piece of paper with your name and  ship essentials so some future historian can "discover it" in 100 years. A couple of these have been found in contemporary Navy Board models and are of great historical significance.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

On 3/21/2022 at 12:37 AM, dvm27 said:

You should place a small piece of paper with your name and  ship essentials so some future historian can "discover it" in 100 years. A couple of these have been found in contemporary Navy Board models and are of great historical significance.

is a good idea, but one must hope that the model survives and is appreciable.......

I could put a "skeleton" in the wardrobe! 😄

That was a tough call on whether to hit "Wow" or "Laugh".  The work is a "Wow"....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

There are no words.  Your work is amazing, working cabinet drawers and door that are then covered by a deck…..

Really outstanding!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I have noticed more and more uses of two different species or the same species but from different billets to give a contrast when next to its adjacent piece.  One example of this is in the construction of the partners.  This really shows of your very fine workmanship and I plan to use this on occasion in the future.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

12 hours ago, allanyed said:

I have noticed more and more uses of two different species or the same species but from different billets to give a contrast when next to its adjacent piece.  One example of this is in the construction of the partners.  This really shows of your very fine workmanship and I plan to use this on occasion in the future.

Allan

Thank you! I'm happy that I can be an inspiration for your work. Luckily I found two supplies of pear wood with different shades, so I can play with the contrast between colours, highlighting neighbouring pieces!

This is the sail locker, not the pump room.

I don't have a lot of experience with chisels, but lately I've been learning to use them and I must say that the feeling is very good, so much so that I prefer to do some work with these hand tools rather than with the milling machine.
The very important thing is to keep the chisels perfectly sharp at all times. and this can be achieved in a variety of ways, some of which are well explained in tutorials on you tube.

In addition, chisels must be of high quality, so it is better to invest a little more money in better tools than to make do with poorer tools that will soon lose their sharpness and ruin our work.
The kit of mini chisels of Russian origin that I bought a few years ago and that you see in the photos is really excellent and helps me a lot in the small joints that you can see in the construction of the decks.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Your joinery is exceptional.  You have mastered the use of chisels.  I am enjoying your build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

9 hours ago, bdgiantman2 said:

Great model progress and very high quality skills as usual.  I am assuming that this room that you showed us today is going to be the pump room. What advise would you suggest for someone like me new to using chisels for modeling?? Thank you so much.

Brian D.

Actually Brian I believe this is to be the sail room. The ventilation louvers would facilitate air circulation and help dry out stowed sails.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752