Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa by ccoyle - FINISHED - Orlik - 1/33 - CARD - Japanese Army fighter Allied code name "Oscar"

ccoyle

Clever repair Chris.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

The patch looks great, Chris.   Doesn't even need paint (hearsay on my part I'm sure).

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

Ha! First time I ever used it! 😉

And they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks..... Nice addition to the tool box.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Whew! Both sides done now. The starboard side, while not a perfect fit, did not require as much surgery as the port side, e.g. no paper mache -- was able to fill in the gaps with glue.

oscar29.thumb.jpg.85774a822347c9bcbe9c10f0f6630c82.jpg

Next step will be the landing gear, then the fuselage will be set aside for a bit to work on the engine and cowling. I love building radial engines out of card stock. 🙄

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Looking good Chris, great filling jobs!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Well, no pictures of landing gear today. Why no pictures? Because yet again, the diagrams in an Orlik kit leave much to be desired -- namely clarity. There's parts that aren't shown, parts that aren't numbered, parts shown in one perspective but not another, and even parts shown in locations that they cannot possibly be physically located in. Ah, but who doesn't love a challenge? 😑

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

That's why we're model builders, not parts assemblers, mate. Plenty of mental challenges.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Baby has new shoes. Each main gear has 15 17 pieces, and the tail wheel has 9. I left off the brackets that normally would hold the gear doors to the struts, because the diagrams were very vague on their placement, and they are tiny parts in any case.

oscar30.thumb.jpg.5e438e6d4230608a2e6e4d5f415a41ee.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Couple of odds and ends today -- exhaust stubs, headrest, rudder. Not a whole lot to show because of all the soccer I had to watch today. 😋

oscar31.thumb.jpg.84e9adde1fb81f461ba19efe4875c628.jpg

I started work on the elevators. Not a single diagram shows the internal structure of these elements. Thankfully, I already have a good idea of how they go together.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Elevators complete. And since there was so much recent interest in the cans on my desk, I've made sure that they feature prominently in this shot. 😜

oscar32.thumb.jpg.78f878d16a040bf40781a71877190a7b.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

5 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Elevators complete. And since there was so much recent interest in the cans on my desk, I've made sure that they feature prominently in this shot. 😜

Ah...  I hope you get some royalties for promoting these. :D

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well, I have hit an unpleasant snag. I started work on the canopy, using the vacu-formed canopy I ordered along with the kit. I am using double-sided tape on the canopy framing, and have cut the frames into smaller sections than are printed in the kit, just to make handling the spindly frame pieces easier to deal with. The problem is: the vacu-formed canopy is not the right size and shape. I suspected this as soon as I applied the first piece of framing, and additional framing has only made the problem more apparent. So, that kind of sapped my modeling mojo for the day. I will report again once I have sorted things out.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I do hope you can find a solution to the issue Chris! It's a fine model!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Are the canopies generally made by the same company who prints the model, or are they made by others?

Generally speaking, they are kit-specific, though I have on at least one occasion made a canopy for one kit work for another. But my luck ran out -- this canopy was produced for a Halinski kit, and the canopy for that kit was obviously a slightly different design.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Can you cut it apart and fit such that the canopy is open?  Or is it that it wouldn't fit anyway?   What does the basic kit have for a canopy? 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

35 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Can you cut it apart and fit such that the canopy is open?  Or is it that it wouldn't fit anyway?   What does the basic kit have for a canopy?

Patience, my son, patience. All will be revealed in its time. 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

47 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Use the kit's paper parts to build a form and make your own..... Copy it several times and then you can have it anyway you want it....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

look'in really nice Chris........you'll come up with a working canopy.....I'm sure of that!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Okay, the canopy and gun sight are now done. I had to cut the frames apart and fiddle around with them a bit to get them to fit, and the canopy is not a 100% fit either, as I mentioned earlier, but it will do.

oscar33.thumb.jpg.47fcf250b0253ba86d22ecc4c7199a39.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Well done on the canopy, Chris.  They should have used better paint on the original bird.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Well done on the canopy, Chris.  They should have used better paint on the original bird.

Would have been  bullet proof  😁

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

9 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Okay, the canopy and gun sight are now done. I had to cut the frames apart and fiddle around with them a bit to get them to fit, and the canopy is not a 100% fit either, as I mentioned earlier, but it will do.

Looks the part to me, maybe not 100% perfect, but who can tell?

Outstanding!

Edited by Egilman

Quote: