De Havilland Mosquito B.XVI - FINISHED - by AJohnson - Airfix - 1:72

4 hours ago, Egilman said:

100% agreement... Anything below 1/32nd scale getting a decent "fuzzy" line is very difficult... It amazes me when those modelers doing 1/72 manage to do it... But then repetition is the practice that brings skills... There is like 4 different ways of doing fuzzy edge camo....

And the supreme consideration is what the builder wants to represent... All aircraft during WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam had both styles of camo, hard edge and fuzzy edge... (depending on the equipment they had to paint with).... Neither style is wrong...

And I didn't mean to express the ideal that anything is wrong with either... Correct camo is more pattern than technique anyway and yes scale matters... For example a 4" overspray pattern (fuzzy edge) on a 1/32nd scale aircraft or 1/35th scale tank is equal to 1/8th inch in scale... Speaking from experience it is doable but not easy to do... (takes a LOT of practice and experimentation to get it right) 1/8th inch in a spray is almost impossible to execute with most spraying devices...

What you have done is beautiful in my opinion accurate for pattern which on most British aircraft was done with masks during WWII... 

All I was commenting on is the technique for doing it is perfect, a minimum of fuss, best way to do it in my opinion for what it is worth...

Sorry if I offended...

Yep we are definitely on the same page, certainly no offence dear MSW friends - you should see some other forums get hot and bothered over fuzzy v hard camouflage lines! 🤣

As an aside the factory picture of the Lancasters also shows they were “freehand” painted, each is slightly different than the other, so just shows research if your friend if you are after a particular aircraft to model. 
You can tell these are later mark Lancaster as there are no small oval fuselage windows. So maybe by the time these ones were being built the “mask to spray” or even “mask to chalk line” the airframe were not used at least in this factory.  But given the average lifespan of a Lancaster was about 20 missions, it is a wonder they got a lick of paint at all!

Edited by AJohnson

Last update I think before the big reveal.

Enamel "Bomber black" from Colourcoats applied, it has a semi-satin type finish which is fine as the next job is a gloss coat for the decals.

So after the gloss coat, all that is needed are the decals, adding the undercarriage and bomb bay doors and finally the props.  I will do some weathering, mostly the "chalky" looking staining from the exhausts on the black, perhaps highlight a few panels lines around the engines, but not much more.  Certainly no need to add "metal" chips to this one!  😁 (well perhaps the odd one on the metal engine cowls / radiator panels....)  Then a final flat coat.

Not sure, I think I prefer the "look" of a Mosquito in Daylight camouflage, the black disguises her lines a bit - shock! - do you think that was the purpose for black night bombers? 🤔 😂

Thanks all again for the interest, feedback and comments on this build, who knew - one of the best "aircraft" forums is on "Model SHIP World"! 👍

Mosquito 40.JPG

Mosquito 41.JPG

Mosquito 42.JPG

Mosquito 43.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

1 hour ago, AJohnson said:

Not sure, I think I prefer the "look" of a Mosquito in Daylight camouflage, the black disguises her lines a bit - shock! - do you think that was the purpose for black night bombers? 🤔 😂

I wonder if that’s also a result of the different camo colours. The green on grey(?) over black looks quite a bit muted compared to the green on brown scheme (to me, at any rate).

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

2 hours ago, AJohnson said:

who knew - one of the best "aircraft" forums is on "Model SHIP World"! 

WE do, {chuckle} 

THE BEST modeling forum on the net... BAR NONE.... Besides, aeroplanes used to be called ships back in the day, (and occasionally a pilot get asked about his "ship" even to this day, so at least there is a historical context that fits)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, realworkingsailor said:

I wonder if that’s also a result of the different camo colours. The green on grey(?) over black looks quite a bit muted compared to the green on brown scheme (to me, at any rate).

Andy

Yes agreed, the Green/Grey is very muted, almost "Coldwar" modern in look.  Colourcoats do put a lot of research into their paints (many warship ones also.)  So, fairly confident I'm in safe hands on that score; initially I thought the Grey looked too "blue", but it looks close to the few colour photos I have seen.  Green/Brown is also my favourite, I'll post up some pictures of this one next to my "Phantom of the Rhur" Lanc. I did a couple of years ago when finished.

And the Insurance on a aircraft is Marine Insurance.  (It was one of Dad's trick questions.) 

Edited by Jack12477

1 hour ago, AJohnson said:

Yes agreed, the Green/Grey is very muted, almost "Coldwar" modern in look.  Colourcoats do put a lot of research into their paints (many warship ones also.)  So, fairly confident I'm in safe hands on that score; initially I thought the Grey looked too "blue", but it looks close to the few colour photos I have seen.  Green/Brown is also my favourite, I'll post up some pictures of this one next to my "Phantom of the Rhur" Lanc. I did a couple of years ago when finished.

Colour matching is always a hard task. I don’t doubt the accuracy of yours. It’s a source of much continued debate in the model railway community, memories, like colour photos, fade over time. Even after someone manages to find an actual factory paint chip from the period with the actual colour formula written on the back, there’s always some old crank or another who’ll swear up and down it was something else (“just look at this colour photo I took on a bright sunny day seventy years ago”).

Can’t wait to see that Lanc!

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

12 hours ago, AJohnson said:

I think it was done for that reason.  Not only hide the lines but on a moonless night, it hid the airplane.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That has come out well  -  so nice.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Very nice!! Both look really good.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Nicely done and including the Lanc gives a very nice reference on their sizes. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thank you @Old Collingwood, @king derelict, @Edwardkenway, @Canute & @CDW for your kind words! :imNotWorthy:

Yes, it is interesting to compare a Lancaster & Mosquito for size and to think they both could carry the 4,000lb "Cookie"!  Okay so not the 8,000lb "Cookie", or 12,000lb "Tallboy", or 22,000lb "Grand Slam", but you get the idea, for the "Light Bomber" category the Mossie was THE benchmark for speed, range and payload.  I can only finish off by quoting a Nazi! (😲 - I know, not expecting that were you, but it is the finest compliment to the "Wooden Wonder" I know of...)

“In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now!  It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I’m going to buy a British radio set – then at least I’ll own something that has always worked."

– Hermann Göring, 1943

Edited by AJohnson

And these  fine people  are  working hard  to  build  a  Flying  Mossie   -   https://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Absolutely Gorgeous AJ...

Stunningly beautiful work.... (on both)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Nice job AJ!  Really fantastic work - on both!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Nice Mossie and great pair, Andrew.

Cheers,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart